SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far it seems the excessive amounts that the HRRR/RAP and Eurowx map had been advertising in KY are coming to fruition. Numerous 10-14" reports already in western KY with significant drifting and several roads as well as parts of I-24 shut down. So there's that I guess.. the fact that these big amounts the high res stuff is cranking out is not inflated or anything.

With that said, I'm completely jealous . Should've rode this thing out at my uncles place haha. 

Radar starting to look pretty solid in southern tier and eastern Penn right up I-81. The hole here in the central counties has just been brutal so far. Might have a half inch of snow... if we get to 3" here it'll be a miracle. 

I saw that hole when I looked at radar. What's your take on that? Does it stay put? Expand? Contract? Or just move along with the precipitation shield? I know, lot's of questions...lol

Anyway, just woke up and we must have flipped/begun to snow not long before. Moderate snow falling, but only about 1/4" accumulation. I suppose, though, that could be due to warm(ish) ground and a surface temp of 33 still.

I saw that hole when I looked at radar. What's your take on that? Does it stay put? Expand? Contract? Or just move along with the precipitation shield? I know, lot's of questions...lol

Anyway, just woke up and we must have flipped/begun to snow not long before. Moderate snow falling, but only about 1/4" accumulation. I suppose, though, that could be due to warm(ish) ground and a surface temp of 33 still.

The precip shield over eastern PA had just recently blossomed pretty well so it probably hasn't been snowing for that long in your neck of the woods. There's heavier precip trying to press up from SW PA and beyond that should solidify things in eastern Penn for this morning and perhaps get some kind of consistent snow for a bit here. Think Tamaqua should be good for at least a few inches with this. 

I guess once we get through this event (non event depending on where you live), the cold air will NOT be denied. My low for tomorrow morning per the NWS.

Tonight: Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -7. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph.

I have to add that while the snow was solidly moderate when I woke up at 4:00am, it has since become very light and visibility is way up. Go figure...

Well, I'm off to do a 300 mile round trip throught the snow. Hazleton to Allentown to Mount Joy to Hanover to Hazleton. It'll probably be an all day adventure.

Careful on the roads out there Voyager. MU just closed for the day. Judging by the look of radar, I think they made the correct call. Good luck and stay safe!

Went to bed last night hearing the first of the pinging...figured we were on track for a changeover that would be on time. Turns out it was delayed by a few hours - which I'm sure cut down on initital totals. However, now that we are flipped to the M-D Line, HRRR/RAP snow maps should be somewhat accurate, and all those bode well for those just north of the PA Turnpike and down into Maryland. 

Unbelievably, I've woken up to about a half-dozen e-mails from people saying we busted the forecast and that we should apologize on-air. WHAT!? I guess many folks went to bed expecting to wake up to a half foot of snow. I could write a book on this stuff.

Went to bed last night hearing the first of the pinging...figured we were on track for a changeover that would be on time. Turns out it was delayed by a few hours - which I'm sure cut down on initital totals. However, now that we are flipped to the M-D Line, HRRR/RAP snow maps should be somewhat accurate, and all those bode well for those just north of the PA Turnpike and down into Maryland.

Unbelievably, I've woken up to about a half-dozen e-mails from people saying we busted the forecast and that we should apologize on-air. WHAT!? I guess many folks went to bed expecting to wake up to a half foot of snow. I could write a book on this stuff.

Don't sweat it. The public doesn't know anything. Your forecast looks really good right now. Pretty outside.

Your facebook is taking a pounding this morning. Tough way to make a living.

Archived