SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleet storm - temp holding 28. The question for me will be will HIA get me out tomorrow morning to KC, I was suppose to go today got to the airport flight delayed can't make connection. The last flight out of CLT was sold out. LOL.

Ouch! Here it's always a question of if it's cheaper to fly out of UNV or if a rental car to Philly/Pittsburgh is cheaper.

Just depends where you are going. My niece has family up in UNV she lives in Texas and she finds pretty good deals out of UNV. Really depends on where your flying to. 

Yea, I actually have had pretty good deals flying to Orlando and Dallas from MDT, just had to search for them. Hope you get your flight ok man!

18z NAM looks to thump Adams/Cumberland/York/Lancaster/Lebanon/Berks/Chester counties. Unless my weenie eyes are to be deceived. (Is that a 8" - 12" event???)

More in line with the globals. WPC probs focus the best chances for 8+ from extreme northern MD up to just slightly north of the turnpike and then run that line ENE

Just depends where you are going. My niece has family up in UNV she lives in Texas and she finds pretty good deals out of UNV. Really depends on where your flying to. 

For sure. I used to fly out of Pittsburgh back to Atlanta my freshman year, it was maybe 160 vs 340. Now I usually drive, but the price has come down a bit I think.

Sleetfest here with the roads covered and a total mess. Car thermo said 23.

Pretty interesting fight going on today with the mid levels. All ZR here unfortunately.

What's your thoughts on the upcoming system Mag?

I'm certainly mindful of these frontal boundary setups where the fronts pressing south as AllWeather alluded to. I said last night that I'd rather be watching this evolve from our region than from the DC area. One factor is these waves are pretty close to each other, precip might never really end during the day tomorrow in some places in between events.. so the close proximity might hang up the front a bit more. On the other hand, this doesn't look like a frontal passage with marginal cold behind it. This will have arctic cold pressing down into this moisture, which will serve to make this a snow bomb in a narrow corridor. Also could make for a sharper cutoff of precip on the northern side as well.

As for a rough guess on amounts attm, I do think roughly the route 22 corridor and south (and then from I-81 southeast in eastern Penn) looks pretty decent for generally a 4-8" type deal, with 2-5" N and NW of that (west of I-81 in eastern Penn). A narrow corridor in the southern tier depending on where the best QPF ends up could have a 10-12" swath. Another thing that might need considered as the event progresses is ratios, as the arctic air presses south. Could make folks with more moderate QPF (e.g. that corridor between the turnpike and 80) end up with pretty big amounts as well. Gonna be interesting haha. 

Well it's been sleeting lightly here with very tiny ice pellets (< 0.5mm diameter) for the past 2 hours or so.  There has also been a tiny bit of freezing rain mixed in, but it has been negligible to this point.  After peaking just above 30 degrees 2 hours ago, wet bulbing has dropped me back to 28.4.

I am just starting to let myself get a little excited over the snowstorm potential.  Certainly the best opportunity to break 4" this entire season.  I see in the extended forecast they have lowered the max temps several degrees compared to yesterday.  Wonder if the warmup is going to be muted yet again?

Finally, if I do get a base of 6+, low temp here Friday morning could easily drop below zero again.

>>Edit...intensity of sleet is ramping up now and I have a coating everywhere now.

Archived