• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

One thing I think may being missed with regards to overcoming boundary layer warmth, particularly with the triangle, is  that amount of dry air in the 700-900mb layer. Dewpoints are -15 to -20C in that layer tomorrow afternoon. Once precip falls into that, evaparational cooling will knock temps down quickly, and that cold air will transfer to the surface with precipitation. That is why temps fall at the surface even though surface wet bulbs are above freezing.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My money right now is that's going to come south 30-40 miles but I've been wrong before

If that happens, I will cry tears of happiness. It would be put in the purple. I can definitely see it happening it we get colder 800 temps. The rain/snow line sets up about 10-15 miles south of central Atlanta.

MY FIRST CALL MAP....

Slide5.JPG

There will be surprises from this system, and someone will receive a lot of snow. I would not be shocked to hear some totals of 12 inches of snow, especially in the northeast part of NC and southeastern VA. Some areas could see bands of snow putting down 2-3 inches per hour. Crazy rates will be likely across the southeast. Thundersnow will also be possible as the storm deepens off the eastern seaboard.

The difficult part of this forecast is determining where that elusive rain/snow line will set up. This map does a decent job at determining where that rain/snow line will set up; however, it may shift 30-50 miles depending on the final track of the storm. 

The energy at 500 mb is really strong, and this is what makes this storm different compared to the storm last week. The upper level dynamics are better, and thus I think precipitation totals will be higher as well. I actually think most areas east of the Blue Ridge will see over .5 of an inch of precipitation from the event in just 9 hours. Raleigh could see over an inch of precipitation from this event.

There is no doubt this will be a fun storm to track, and I am looking forward to seeing what this storm produces.

To read more about my opinions on this storm, you can visit my website: http://wxjordan.com/weather-forecast/forecast/184-major-winter-storm-brings-big-snow-to-southeast-united-states

One thing I think may being missed with regards to overcoming boundary layer warmth, particularly with the triangle, is that amount of dry air in the 700-900mb layer. Dewpoints are -15 to -20C in that layer tomorrow afternoon. Once precip falls into that, evaparational cooling will knock temps down quickly, and that cold air will transfer to the surface with precipitation. That is why temps fall at the surface even though surface wet bulbs are above freezing.

That's what worries me near Atlanta and they have the advantage of it occurring earlier before much heating occurs, same thing there with tons of dry air in that layer and the WAA just isnt that strong on most models below 800mb other than the NAM, if it cools below 0C it's probably going to stay there

That's what worries me near Atlanta and they have the advantage of it occurring earlier before much heating occurs, same thing there with tons of dry air in that layer and the WAA just isnt that strong on most models below 800mb other than the NAM, if it cools below 0C it's probably going to stay there

I live 2 miles N of the Airport and noticed I could clearly see the moon when I was just walking my dogs. Curious to see if we can get some good surface cooling and maybe lock in some cooler surface temps. We already busted today, FFC had me getting to 43 but only got to 37 or so.

Jon Cash, former WAVY-TV Met says:

"...Some models paint 2-5” of snow while others bring in a foot! Which one is correct? This is where meteorologists earn their paychecks! Here’s my thinking. Almost every storm coming from this direction this year has moved further north than advertised. Hence, the higher snow totals are the more likely scenario. The rain snow line will be located on a line from just south of Elizabeth City and Kill Devil Hills. Hence, it appears this will be a snow event for the metro Hampton Roads area with parts of Carolina possibly mixing with rain if that line moves a bit further north than predicted. Temps will be in the upper 20s during the event and the snow will stick to all the roads. It is highly doubtful there will be school Thursday or Friday and even tomorrow it will be in question due to the snow currently falling. Here’s my first attempt at snowfall totals. I will adjust this again sometime tomorrow before the storm moves in..."

Snow Totals for Wednesday night into Thursday morning.

Southside (VA Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth) 8-12”

Suffolk 6-10”

Franklin 5-9”

Smithfield 4-8”

Hampton 6-10”

Newport News 6-10”

Williamsburg 4-8”

Gloucester 3-7”

Eastern Shore 6-12”

Elizabeth City 4-12” (dependent on switch to rain?)

Edenton 4-12” (dependent on switch to rain?)

Outer Banks 1-12” lowest Hatteras and highest Corolla

Amazing how within just one county (Dare) you could have people getting all rain and others getting a foot of snow.

I certainly dont envy forecasters for Atlanta. I feel RDU is relatively easy compared to them.

btw, snow could get an early start per rap with the finger of snow.  I wouldn't be too surprised if far western areas of georgia saw something as early as 15z.

also...the rap is south of the nam at 18 hours with the surface low

I actually think things trend quicker and colder, with some south drift tonight.

Regarding whether or not KATL is mainly rain, does anyone recall the great 3/24/1983 snow? KATL got the heaviest snow since 1940. From what I was told by someone in Cobb county, nobody expected it to be snow. It turned out to be a mainly very wet snow with huge flakes. I wasn't in ATL to experience it. Could this end up similar? Opinions?

PROBABILISTIC HEAVY SNOW AND ICING DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

440 PM EST TUE FEB 24 2015

VALID 00Z WED FEB 25 2015 - 00Z SAT FEB 28 2015

...SRN PLAINS/LOWER MS VALLEY TO THE SOUTHERN

APPALACHIANS/SOUTHEAST/MID-ATL...

A VERY COMPLEX FORECAST FOR THE SOUTHERN TIER OF THE COUNTRY ON

WED AND THURS.... AS AN ACTIVE SRN BRANCH WITH GULF OF MEXICO AND

SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE INTERACTS WITH POLAR AND ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE

FOR THE THREAT OF EXTENSIVE WINTER WEATHER.

A CLOSED MID TO UPPER LOW OVER AZ/NM WILL EJECT OUT IN THE SRN

PLAINS/LOWER MS VALLEY ON WED AND PROGRESS ALONG THE FAST SRN

BRANCH INTO THE SOUTHEAST LATE WED INTO THURS. THIS SYSTEM SHOULD

BEGIN TO TAP A BRIEF BUT ANOMALOUS SURGE IN LL MOISTURE FROM THE

GULF OF MEXICO WITH PWS AOA 1 TO 2 TIMES ABOVE STANDARDIZED

ANOMALIES. THIS MOISTURE WILL OVERRUN A FORMING BAROCLINIC ZONE

NEAR THE CENTRAL GULF COAST AND MODEL THERMAL PROFILES SUGGEST

POSSIBLE STREAK OF HEAVY SNOW AND NARROW TRANSITION ZONE FROM NERN

TX TO NRN GA/SRN APPALACHIANS... WITH THE HEAVIEST FROZEN PRECIP

ACROSS NERN TX/SRN AR/NRN MS/AL INTO NRN GA. AS A SURFACE LOW

DEVELOPS AND ARRIVES TO JUST OFFSHORE OF THE FL PANHANDLE LATE

WED... THIS LOW WILL JUMP TO THE CAROLINAS COAST BY THURS MORNING.

THIS SHOULD RESULT IN A POTENTIALLY DECENT DYNAMIC COOLING REGIME

FROM NRN GA/ERN TN THROUGH NC/SRN VA AND PERHAPS FARTHER NORTH.

THIS ENTIRE FCST SOUNDS FAIRLY STRAIGHT FORWARD... HOWEVER A DECENT

AMOUNT OF SPREAD EXISTS WITH THE GUIDANCE. THE CLEAR TREND OVER

THE PAST 24 HRS IS A CONTINUED TREND TO THE NORTH WITH THE

EXTENSION OF THE DEVELOPING PRECIP SHIELD. THE 12Z NAM/09Z SREF

MEAN ARE AN ACTUAL CLEAR OVER-AMPLIFIED SOLUTION... WHILE THE

GFS/ECMWF ARE MORE SUBDUED. WPC BOUGHT THE NORTHWARD TREND BUT

REMAINED CONSERVATIVE IN RELYING CLOSE TO THE GLOBAL DUO OF THE

GFS/ECMWF THROUGHOUT. THIS MEANS DRAWING SNOW FARTHER NORTH INTO

PARTS OF THE TN VALLEY/APPALACHIANS AND MID-ATL REGION. THIS FCST

REMAINS FLUID ESPECIALLY THURS FOR A REGION SUSCEPTIBLE TO ANY

WINTER WEATHER INVOLVING AN ACTIVE SRN STREAM... PLENTY OF

MOISTURE AND ARCTIC AIR.

Regarding whether or not KATL is mainly rain, does anyone recall the great 3/24/1983 snow? KATL got the heaviest snow since 1949. From what I was told by someone in Cobb county, nobody expected it to be snow. It turned out to be a mainly very wet snow with huge flakes. I wasn't in ATL to experience it. Could this end up similar? Opinions?

Here it is.....the setup looked colder with more cold air in place with a more south track of the upper lows

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1983/us0324.php

I checked out CIPS today and no setup really resembled this with the surface low so far south yet the 500 low relatively far north....1/24/91 I thought was the closest one overall and it was not a spectacular match

Robert's call.

This is the third forecast map I've seen on this thread in the past hour that includes the CAE area, and points northwest. Most of the models are showing a rain-snow line inverted up toward the I-85 corridor from ATL and points east, not flat following I-20 east of Atlanta.

Forecasters must be drawing these maps from knowledge and experience.

So far looking at the precip in NM and TX the NAM/GFS are not even close, the 18Z NAM was better than the 12Z but both the 12 and 18Z GFS/NAM runs are verifying too slow and too far NW as a general idea.  The RGEM/Euro are closer to reality, does not mean this will translate downstream though.

That is great news. I really want to see how much moisture it can pick up in the gulf and bring up here. Was it you that said the Temps out there had busted to the low side?

Robert showing Asheville and surrounding area in a swath of 8+ inches and said if deformation band comes thru like its looking could be up to 12 in areas of that swath of 8+.

He's got the classic snow hole right over the Triangle where it belongs. Good forecast. In other news, the most important NAM run of the season on tap.

Archived