• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MiaY2k
    Newest Member
    MiaY2k
snowfan

Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

Furthest NW corner of Ffx Co: Measured 8-3/4" on top of both SUVs. Wasn't enough IP/Sleet at 6:00pm to measure or even tell that it ever happened.  Light snow 25'F/23'F.

EDIT: No stickage or ice coating on tree branches at all.

I didn't forecast, but the snow algorithms I casually looked had from GFS and RGEM were all pretty bullish for DC and esp NW.  Were there models that sucked or a sneaky warm layer on any of the soundings? Seems like some are surprised...just curious.

I didn't forecast, but the snow algorithms I casually looked had from GFS and RGEM were all pretty bullish for DC and esp NW.  Were there models that sucked or a sneaky warm layer on any of the soundings? Seems like some are surprised...just curious.

every model flipped us....around 6 or 7

We just had a storm with arctic air and the ratios sucked. Sand and flour. Nobody was going to stick their neck our and go 12+:1. Great ratios and snow growth with this one. I'm surprised after what happened earlier this week when everyone (myself) was thinking 15:1 

I didn't forecast, but the snow algorithms I casually looked had from GFS and RGEM were all pretty bullish for DC and esp NW. Were there models that sucked or a sneaky warm layer on any of the soundings? Seems like some are surprised...just curious.

It's an unusual setup for us to get this kind of snowfall and the NAM was not on board to the last.

every model flipped us....around 6 or 7

Models were pretty much spot on about the flip--even the ones that hinted at us fighting the sleet line once it initially moved through. 

Sleet mostly now. the snow tried but lost. the freezing rain we had kept the snow cover so there will be a glacier to reflect the tropical sunlight tomorrow

I'm shocked how easy vehicles can still make it up my hill. It has to be a sheet of ice.

We just had a storm with arctic air and the ratios sucked. Sand and flour. Nobody was going to stick their neck our and go 12+:1. Great ratios and snow growth with this one. I'm surprised after what happened earlier this week when everyone (myself) was thinking 15:1 

That "bust" definitely clouded my judgment. I thought that after what seemed like a perfect cold powder scenario, we'd find a way to muck up the front thump--whether late arrival of precip or some warm nose or poorer rates than modeled. Great storm.

It's an unusual setup for us to get this kind of snowfall and the NAM was not on board to the last.

NAM seemed late to the party as usual. 

Sleet mostly now. the snow tried but lost. the freezing rain we had kept the snow cover so there will be a glacier to reflect the tropical sunlight tomorrow

I'm all snow. Brief sleet went back to SN within an hour. Living some sort of cold wedged charmed life not far from your location. Ripping right now.

Illumination lights on the front of the house are burried. Bench seat is in jeapordy. That's how cold the snow has been, 100% of the flakes have passed thru the mesh bench for the past 10 hours.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The report for Clarksburg is not correct.  I measure at least 5 spots before record it.  according to the reporting below my measurement is off by 3.2"!!  this is simply not true.  I am going to upload pictures next.

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

3 SSW DAMASCUS 10.0 537 PM 2/21 CO-OP OBSERVER

1 SE OLNEY 9.0 610 PM 2/21 COCORAHS

CLARKSBURG 8.8 614 PM 2/21 BROADCAST MEDIA

1 ESE NORTH POTOMAC 8.5 545 PM 2/21 TRAINED SPOTTER