joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

snowfan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blowouts but aslo the cold contracting water?

You're already experiencing warm air advection WVsnowlover..out west and higher elevations get WAA fThat 

That makes sense, thanks. I'm only at 600' though, and it was 7 degrees about 15 miles north of me at a similar elevation (using car thermo). It was as high as 17 degrees in between the 7 and my 13. Guessing it is wind dependent? Another newbie question, will temps level/average out across the area, or will areas with a colder temp now have a chance of doing a little better tomorrow than areas with a current higher temp?

That makes sense, thanks. I'm only at 600' though, and it was 7 degrees about 15 miles north of me at a similar elevation (using car thermo). It was as high as 17 degrees in between the 7 and my 13. Guessing it is wind dependent? Another newbie question, will temps level/average out across the area, or will areas with a colder temp now have a chance of doing a little better tomorrow than areas with a current higher temp?

The differential will be mixed out tomorrow when we get some insolation and light mixing/extentions within the boundary layer.

When you say light mixing/extensions, is that caused by the precip?

That and general air circulation. Sun heats the surface which conducts to the air just above, which will tend to rise once it's thermokinetic potential surpasses that of air above it (need to adjust for the lapse rate/compressional forcing). Hence the development of vertical eddies (aka mixing). You won't see much mixing until these microscale instabilities develop, or large scale kinetic forcing can erode/mix down into the surface inversion.

There are other ways out of an in-situ inversion (like latent heat release in a ZR event), but that won't matter until Saturday/Saturday night.

That and general air circulation. Sun heats the surface which conducts to the air just above, which will tend to rise once it's thermokinetic potential surpasses that of air above it (need to adjust for the lapse rate/compressional forcing). Hence the development of vertical eddies (aka mixing). You won't see much mixing until these microscale instabilities develop, or large scale kinetic forcing can erode/mix down into the surface inversion.

There are other ways out of an in-situ inversion (like latent heat release in a ZR event), but that won't matter until Saturday/Saturday night.

Thank you!

Archived