Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

snowfan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the moaning this has been a fine winter. If it ended today it would still be good. If we get 1 more inch it will be 2 years in a row above climo. How often do we get that around here.

Yep, I'm content with this winter... it's been very cold and we had one good storm.

40F.  Torch.  Shoveling was rough.  Had to chip away hard-packed ice on the bottom with slush on top so the meltwater pond at the base of my driveway could flow to the drain.  Steady diet of ibuprofen today. 

you know you're in a snow town when 40 degrees in late February is called a torch.

I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out how much I got. I know it was at least 6.5", but then there's a spotter report with 7.5" just north of me.

Anyone else in the area have measurements?

I'm going with 6.5" from around 8 when sleet began mixing in. Reports around me (none all that close though) are higher and it's possible there was more here but also possible not. I'm not sure how much if any accumulation of ice occurred after 8. First sleet/freezing rain, some plain rain I think, then a lot of freezing rain/drizzle. There was a nice glaze last night. Today is mashed potatoes whereas last night more of a shepherd's pie. 

32 was my low. Sun out now and 36.

The only way they measured that low was if they only measured in the low spots and didn't factor the drifts in at all.

You're not going to believe this but I just looked at Sterling's storm reports and the guy I was waiting to report came in with 5.5 at 10:19 last night. What is he doing. I live 1 mile from him and have a minimum of 2.5 inches more. The other 2 spotter in the area came in with 7.4. I going with a final total of 8 to keep it in line with other reports. There was also someone who posted on the forum from Hampstead and said he had 8.5 and that was before it stopped snowing.

46.1. Euro had this nailed yesterday. All of the American models kept us in the 30s

Yeh, from the Euro a couple of days ago, I thought we might make it into the low 50s.  Still going up so maybe we can have our one glorious, a touch above normal high. I think our average is around 49 today and is 50 by wed.

Spring conditions. I knew this would happen deep in my soul today. 47 degrees. WE WILL HIT 50, maybe even 55.

In this part of eastern VA - NOTHING stops mild weather when it's time. It just happens. I am going to lose at least 70 percent, maybe 95 percent of areal coverage today. I am only 65 feet above mean sea level. When it warms up here IT WARMS UP! We are no different than the lower Delmarva Peninsula right near Va Beach lmao. When winter is over its OVER!

Tip Typhoon in the NE forums is saying that the EPO is about to go full positive - and that thawing will start.

I'm a believer. What is more, tonight's low temp has been modified in the point and click - to 28 degrees. Tomorrow we will be above freezing.

We are already in a far different regime from the past week, a completely different regime.

I have a sense for this sort of thing. We should have a contest for what today's high temp will be. I say 52 degrees in Dale City.  I wonder if DCA with UH effect can hit 55-58?

Welcome to the TROPICAL Mid Atlantic. Theres a damn good reason I MOAN about warm weather in late Feb in Dale City. It is frequent. The mass meltoff today will in turn fuel much warmer temps all week. Then next week the positive EPO will exert mightily upon the MA. The modeling has had to play frantic catch up with the warming. 48 hours ago we were supposed to cool to 15 tonight. Now its upper 20s.

By March 8th the SE ridge will absolutely dominate our weather, and we will be as mild as Austin Texas.

Yeh, from the Euro a couple of days ago, I thought we might make it into the low 50s. Still going up so maybe we can have our one glorious, a touch above normal high. I think our average is around 49 today and is 50 by wed.

Yeah 50 in a few days at DCA. MOS was mid-u 40s fairly consistently.

Archived