SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

snowfan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great storm. Light freezing rain continues to fall and glisten the neighborhood and the snow pack will be a solid glacier in the morning. The whole storm was pretty remarkable for this area. It took forever this morning to get the first flakes to fall, but once they did, they kept on coming. Banding structure due a nice area of frontogenesis helped create a great shield of snow bands that dumped over the area for a good chunk of the storm. The early parts of the storm were pure powder with snow falling at 19 degrees. Multiple times today we had snowfall rates of 1"+ and it really made the area look like a snow globe. It was a peaceful snow. By the end of the day, I just missed out on the double digit mark with 9.7". Then came the freezing rain which glaciated everything. My street and every road nearby is an ice rink. Trees glistened in the light off the lamp posts and made the scene even more surreal. It's storms like this that make me realize why I love winter weather. It brings everyone together and makes for great scenery. I give this storm an "A" in my book. Truly a one of kind event in more ways than one!

post-9895-0-02753900-1424587628_thumb.jp

Wow looking at that picture gotta be above 20"

Several reports of 20-24 inches in Greenbrier and Pocahontas counties in WV and Highland and Bath counties in VA.

I can't remember who posted it, but someone threw up one of the weenie snow maps from a HR model that had 20-24 inches over those counties plus mine and Snow General's last night. He and I didn't get quite there, I had a ton of sleet between 3-7 pm, or may have been close. Had 1.59 inches of liquid when I emptied gauge just before we went ZR/IP at 9 pm. 

It's definitely over 8 but I don't have a real good place to measure like I usually do because of the wind. I was really surprised by how much wind we had. That one spotter 1 mile SSW of town came in at 7.4 at 8 o'clock and that seems too low. I'm waiting to see what that other spotter says who is 3 miles SSW of Linboro. He is only 1 mile from my house but he was running low with his report from 1:40 in the afternoon. 8.5 seems reasonable.

The only way they measured that low was if they only measured in the low spots and didn't factor the drifts in at all.

Several reports of 20-24 inches in Greenbrier and Pocahontas counties in WV and Highland and Bath counties in VA.

I can't remember who posted it, but

someone threw up one of the weenie snow maps from a HR model that had 20-24 inches over those counties plus mine and Snow General's last night. He and I didn't get quite there, I had a ton of sleet between 3-7 pm, or may have been close. Had 1.59 inches of liquid when I emptied gauge just before we went ZR/IP at 9 pm.

Wow ended up with 6.1" here in Media Delaware County 13 miles west-southwest of Philadelphia International Airport changeover to sleet at 8 pm then freezing rain 9 pm to 5 am ice storm conditions here now 32f

snow soaked with zr and RA is HEAVY as shyte

Watch the roads, the plow cleared em but they freeze right back up. I damn near slipped earlier while digging snow. Plow man plowed me right back into my driveway with an 18 inch berm made up of huge rock-hard snow boulders and slush.

I got to dig plenty of snow this morning, I can assure you.

I almost forget to add, last storm last Monday, a plow pushed a huge  4 foot pile of powder right onto the south extent of my sidewalk. He was WAY off with the plow. He centered that huge pile of snow right on my sidewalk. Well, this morning I finally got around to digging it. That powder snow pile was so deep, the snow deep inside the pile never even got wet from all the ZR last night, it was still all powdery. That was downright entertaining, chipping thru that mountain of powder snow. 

4.5" new

6" on the ground

0.94" total precip yesterday

Lower driveway and street are icy but walkable, upper driveway is a sheet of ice and impassable.

Temp slowly rose overnight to 33.4 at the present, dripping is proceeding

Jesus how long is your driveway Mr. Buffett

No way this melts away up here off of today.

The people moaning about the rain and warm temps and February sun melting it all....silly...I mean if you got and inch or less sure...but that line doesn't start until you get down where the accents become noticeable

The people moaning about the rain and warm temps and February sun melting it all....silly...I mean if you got and inch or less sure...but that line doesn't start until you get down where the accents become noticeable

You have a LOT of snowpack, you are at 600 feet elevation. You are well west. I on the other hand, have less snow and am at 65 foot elevation, if it clears up, i can easily crest 50 and take leisurely jebwalks in shorts and a tshirt. I have to hope and pray that it does not get too mild today. YOU are all set, Mr Boston of the Mid Atlantic lol

I'm very happy you got a lot of snow :)

Temp flatlined between 32 and 33F all night.  Now up to 33F.  Shoveling the sludge in front of my driveway is not going to be fun. 

Storm water likes to pond in front of my driveway.  So I'm used to a sheet of ice in the street.  Today is was a sheet of slushy water 3" deep with snow/ice on top of that.  I had to dig a trench 75 feet down to the storm drain.  Fun times.

Archived