• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

snowfan

Western Fairfax climo is much different from Eastern Fairfax. Western Fairfax (areas like Reston and Herndon) have a similar climate to mine in Eastern Loudoun. Much higher elevation than areas east of say Centreville. We got banded early on and often and thus the big difference in totals.

Yup.  And living in Alexandria, Fairfax County near the line with Alexandria City, I know that there is a big difference.

I asked the length-of-the-county question because I was trying to explain to my parents the difference in totals and couldn't give a distance. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup.  And living in Alexandria, Fairfax County near the line with Alexandria City, I know that there is a big difference.

I asked the length-of-the-county question because I was trying to explain to my parents the difference in totals and couldn't give a distance. 

Hello neighbor

I really cant believe the condition of I81 right now through this area. It stopped snowing for 2 hours and the road is still a complete disaster. How does one of the major N/S arteries on the east coast get neglected like that. Its really atrocious.

Pshhh you should see the side roads. That last storm we got 9" never plowed the m'fing street once what a complete moron the director of public works or whatever the heck it is for our county. Main roads dry as a bone that boggled my mind.

Yeah, the glaze mentioned earlier in the thread--- it's thick over the sidewalks here, as well as in the circle in front of my building. 

Went out to dinner earlier so was gone since like 6.. walked about 2 miles in that time and never really saw more than slush so was kind of surprising (tho makes sense) to see our sidewalks totally iced over.. they're always good at clearing, I guess that was a bad thing today. ;)

My point and click forecast:

Overnight Rain, freezing rain, and sleet before 2am, then snow, freezing rain, and sleet likely between 2am and 4am, then rain, freezing rain, and sleet likely after 4am. Low around 30. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Wait wut... That's interesting

7" snow, .15" freezing rain. Will empty gauge tomorrow for total precip. Made the executive decision to keep the gauge out after the changeover, so snow ratios numbers will not be calculable. 

32/31 here and has been for a while. Probably an equal amount of freezing and thawing going on down there. Dipping down to 30 or so overnight would do wonders to prepare the snowpack for the sunny shellacking in store for tomorrow.

Downtown is kind of a disaster. Streets are generally untouched and just full of puddles and mounds of snow and slush.  When you step off the sidewalk to cross the street, even if you try and strategize, you end up stepping in a gigantic ice puddle.  Sidewalks are combination of slush, snow, crust, broken ice, except in some places where it is harder ice.  The biggest issue is that sidewalks that were shoveled earlier are now a sheet of ice.  Outside my building , which was heavily shoveled earlier, is like a hockey rink, even though it is 33.  I think tomorrow's sun angle and "warmth"  will do some damage, plus allow another day for cleanup, but I imagine the re-freeze of whatever is left could be nasty.  

Thanks for that...impressed by earlier snow output of this storm. Measured just a tick over 4" IMBY before IP/ZR started just before 5 p.m. Now up to 33, still with moderate ZR. Glazing of trees and metal/concrete surfaces becoming noticeable.

Radar grab from the little cutter that could.

8" here at Germantown/Gaithersburg line final total

070c4dfd86.gif

for a bunch that loves snow I see a lot of crying about it. my streets not plowed, there is ice on my side walk, whaa whaaa whaaaa, if you want/love snow then deal with the outcome. or better yet pick up a shovel or I got a great idea buy a plow truck.

enjoy the snow and what comes with it, or move and look at it on tv. :P

Downtown is kind of a disaster. Streets are generally untouched and just full of puddles and mounds of snow and slush.  When you step off the sidewalk to cross the street, even if you try and strategize, you end up stepping in a gigantic ice puddle.  Sidewalks are combination of slush, snow, crust, broken ice, except in some places where it is harder ice.  The biggest issue is that sidewalks that were shoveled earlier are now a sheet of ice.  Outside my building , which was heavily shoveled earlier, is like a hockey rink, even though it is 33.  I think tomorrow's sun angle and "warmth"  will do some damage, plus allow another day for cleanup, but I imagine the re-freeze of whatever is left could be nasty.  [/size]

didn't it snow all day? I guess it would be a disaster?

Archived