• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

snowfan

HRRR shows changeover to rain from ZR around 8-9pm, but it also gives us relatively little precip after that changeover, and the ground temperatures so cold it will likely just saturate the snow rather than really have any real melting effect.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/displayMapLocalDiskDateDomainZipZ.cgi?keys=hrrr_ncep_jet:&runtime=2015022118&plot_type=allptyp_t3sfc&fcst=00&time_inc=60&num_times=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields%20-%20Experimental&maxFcstLen=15&fcstStrLen=-1&domain=t3&adtfn=1&threshold=&attfn=-1&wjet=0

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you measure on grass or on driveway?

Driveway. As long as it sticks from the very beginning, I think it's totally fine to measure on the driveway. Usually I use the diving board but in a cold storm like this, it will just blow off.

Snow shouldn't be measured on the grass as a general rule

Do you measure on grass or on driveway?

I generally don't measure because wind makes crazy drifting where I am. When I do measure, I generally tell people highest drift and average in a non-drift-evident location, but there is no way I can report an official measurement generally.

Best way to measure is with a snow board.

26.6 degrees and maybe 1/2" here in Edgewater. Southern AA co and south has only had moderate snow for the past hour or so... didn't get the crush job like those in North AA county.

HRRR shows sleet here by 22Z... wondering where the sleet is now? those heavy returns around Fredericksburg va?

I just measured 3/4" in Davidsonville. Seems like we get some heavy rates for a couple minutes then it dies. Hopefully some of those returns out in Virginia can slide our way and push us over 2" before the sleet/rain move in

what's the time frame for that to happen??

the 17z RAP showed the 850 crossing in 10 hours and the total QPF for that period was 1.0 inch.  If the Radar fills to the SW those of us with 5 or 6 on the ground now could end up 10+

I generally don't measure because wind makes crazy drifting where I am. When I do measure, I generally tell people highest drift and average in a non-drift-evident location, but there is no way I can report an official measurement generally.

Best way to measure is with a snow board.

That is what I'm using. Brand new. Nice to break it in.

Archived