Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

snowfan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should take a look at all the model output again as regards accums. I dont remember which models showed 3 inches, but they were dead on for me. Also, it appears that the people along the east side of the precip shield like myself were waiting quite a while for snow to start. I think there is a moisture gradient along the east side of the slug, on an approximate line with Dale City lol, and that along this moisture gradient, for lack of a better term, (I am no meteorologist) snow amts will be sharply lower than farther west along the main snow axis which appears to be about I'd say 50 miles west of Dale City and extending on a SW/NE axis. The exception is Maryland. Much of that state is one gigantic BULLSEYE for heavy torrential snow.

So, I'll be fairly happy with 2-3 inches along the so-called Dale City Axis, and Leesburg will dig out of the heavy snow along the Leesburg Axis. Marylanders will be crippled by snow in the Maryland Bullseye lol

Forecasting for Prince William is agonizing at best. Ours is such a LOOOOOOOONG county. The climate in Dale City is can be so different from that in Manassas. Today is a stark example. There are times when I believe that meteorologists should draw a line thru the middle of Prince William, place the west under a warning and place the east half under a watch lol. I am not blaming the Mets - I am merely illustrating the difficulties of forecasting in this part of Virginia lol.

Anyway, enjoy the storm. It was sure one hell of a ride tracking this, and it will be long remembered all along the Leesburg Axis and in the Maryland Bullseye! I know I'll enjoy mine. 

9 AM:   1/2"

10AM:  1.375"

11AM:   2.5"

12 PM:  5.0"

1 PM:    6.0"

Other than a 10 min. stretch of very +SN, the rates have decreased here.  Even had a brief period of sleet.  Still picked up another inch in the last hour, though I'd suspect at least half of that occurred in that 10 min. stretch.  Moderate snow at the moment.  Rates have been waxing and waning.  Been a great day thus far. 

Archived