• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Freeze to Thaw, Winter Wx, Feb. 20th-21st, 2015

Windspeed

One thought I have is the initial thump of precipitation for east TN being mostly frozen, and then going to light rain or drizzle until the main low comes through.  Might help parts of northeast TN hold onto snow on the ground if it happens that way.

If the earlier NAM were to verify and the region around KTRI received around 5-7 inches of additional snow before the transition, would it not take a tremendous amount of rain to melt 11 inches of sitting accumulation? Even with all the sunshine today, it was so cold that I still have 5 inches of snow sitting in my front yard. I don't expect much melting tomorrow during the day due to cloud cover. On the other hand, the incoming system shows backside frozen precipitation and subfreezing temperatures resettling into the region as well. In other words, the snow cover for KTRI and points north may still be sitting in place for next week's event.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS Morristown Graphic

Virtually every piece of data that I've seen today says that graphic is out to lunch for NE TN.  I'm sure they are using common sense meteorology and are much more enlightened on the subject than I am.  Glad it's not my job lol.

Edit:  Guess they are hugging the Euro/SREF combo.

RGEM too.

RGEM drops a pretty stout swath of 6-8 inches across SWVA, I think Euro drops 4-6 in spots.  Normally it's a high country type of thing but these models have been favoring Lee-Scott-Washington for some of the snow amounts, as well as the usual suspects

RGEM drops a pretty stout swath of 6-8 inches across SWVA, I think Euro drops 4-6 in spots.  Normally it's a high country type of thing but these models have been favoring Lee-Scott-Washington for some of the snow amounts, as well as the usual suspects

RGEM has a fair amount of ice up that way too.  It'll likely be a mess any way you slice it.  I was just surprised they played low on it.  Especially given the NAM/GFS/Ukie.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
946 PM CST THU FEB 19 2015

.UPDATE...FOR EVENING DISCUSSION.

&&

.DISCUSSION...

HIGH CLOUDS HAVE STARTED TO MOVE INTO MIDDLE TN THIS EVENING. THIS
IS AFFECTING TEMPERATURES...KEEPING THEM FROM FALLING TOO QUICKLY
ACROSS THE WEST WHILE THE MERCURY PLUMMETS ACROSS THE EAST...AND
IT IS RAISING THE CONCERN FOR SNOWS STARTING A LITTLE EARLIER THAN
PLANNED. I DON`T THINK THIS IS THE CASE HOWEVER. NO OB SITE IS
SHOWING SNOW AND LAPS SOUNDINGS IN THIS REGION ARE VERY DRY IN THE
BOUNDARY LAYER. I WILL ADD A SLIGHT CHANCE WORDING FOR LIGHT SNOW
FOR AREAS WEST OF INTERSTATE 65...BUT AS DRY AS IT IS...IT`S GOING
TO BE AWHILE BEFORE WE SEE ANY REAL SNOWFALL. ACCUMULATIONS AREN`T
LIKELY UNTIL TOMORROW MORNING.

The RGEM is a crippling ice event for my area and most of the Plateau. It has something like .8 qpf falling as freezing rain over this area.

The GFS seems to have maintained the 2 inches of snow, 2 of sleet, .15 ice look over a good portion of the area with some higher or lower amounts of each depending on location.

The RGEM is a crippling ice event for my area and most of the Plateau. It has something like .8 qpf falling as freezing rain over this area.

The GFS seems to have maintained the 2 inches of snow, 2 of sleet, .15 ice look over a good portion of the area with some higher or lower amounts of each depending on location.

John what does it show for KTRI?

The Euro keeps subfreezing surface temps over East Tennessee until hour 45 and over far NE Tn until 48 hours out. Which would be 4 pm and 7 pm respectively. It appears to have several periods of .10-.20 precip, over the course from 30-48hours. Most of which falls with 850s above freezing. I can't tell exactly how much falls, but I'd say ,5-.6 falls as zr over a good portion of Eastern Tennessee. Not completely positive though, as the precip maps aren't the easiest to deal with.

The Euro does appear to have several inches of snow in Eastern Tennessee from hour 108-120. Especially towards Tri. I don't have clown maps but it loops like maybe .4ish qpf falls with the 540 on the Tennessee/Georgia border. There appears to be multiple light overunning events all the way out to 180. 

The ice on the Euro looks like it's going be the particularly insidious kind, as it appears to accrue at around .02-.05 or so per hour for a lot of hours.

Archived