SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just a matter of getting enough liquid in here...it is 19 with an 850 temp of -5 when the snow starts...It isn't like we are going to flip right away...we probably have 6-8 hours of snow...

Could easily be a longer period of sleet and zr than what is being depicted. It's not a cad situation but it's going to take some work either way to get the column above freezing. 

I think we're looking pretty good to add to totals and not by the tenth of an inch. lol

This is looking more like a nice thump of decent snow --> sleet/ice --> rain, then turning into a brick after.  Kind of what we saw several days ago.  Depending on how long we have any ice after the snow, it could be a total mess by late Saturday evening if we hold onto ice for a longer time (a real possibility, it seems?).

from what I know about the products they like to use, they really lean on the WPC winter weather ensemble products at longer time ranges.   It's that super-ensemble-thingy, and it is incredibly unenthusiastic right now about the event along the I-95 corridor, although those products often have to play catch-up to model trends.

LOL, just read LWX AFD.   Based on all the models today, they read them as showing < 1" for Metro areas.  

Here's the CWG article I wrote today after seeing the 12Z runs.  More bullish than yesterday but still think lots could go wrong.   i do provide a first  guess for accumulations around DC but I wouldn't bet on the observed amounts falling within the range. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/19/snow-and-sleet-slick-roads-quite-possible-saturday-before-changeover-to-rain-by-sunday/

We are above freezing for a good 18-24 hours after the flip. Probably low 40's on sunday. Pack damage is certain. Hopefully not too devastating. 

stuff actually pretty dense considering.. add in some liquid and it might just glacier. certainly a battle against sun but without warm dews etc probably not the hugest hit ever. though honestly i wish it would go. :P 

Here's the CWG article I wrote today after seeing the 12Z runs.  More bullish than yesterday but still think lots could go wrong.   i do provide a first  guess for accumulations around DC but I wouldn't bet on the observed amounts falling within the range. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/19/snow-and-sleet-slick-roads-quite-possible-saturday-before-changeover-to-rain-by-sunday/

nice article....presents the different scenarios with clarity...the end analysis makes more sense too than Sterling's AFD from an hour ago that is calling for less than an inch in the city.

Archived