• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

Meh. I'd be surprised if mby got 3", but wouldn't be surprised at all if she got 5". That's a noticeable difference. An expected one.

This really isn't the type of event that is elevation dependent. Sure it always helps to be north and west but if the models continue with this look you will do fine. Precip cold come in fast and dump.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you compare 0z to 12z, the alignment of the trough/precip shield is dampening more wsw-ene vs sw-ne. For visual, last night it was aimed at 1 o'clock. 12z is more 2 o'clock. Awful close to a bigger hit in the cities. We can only be weenies and wishcast it home.

Yep, and we know what happened to this week's storm 24 hours before.....suppression. There's plenty of time yet for some of that as I know you already know.

I remember this one.  I was going to the hospital to visit my son and cars were all over Delaney Valley Road.  It was a mess with no plows in sight.  I think I ended up with 8 inches.

You probably were in the 6-7" range

bunch of reports of 7" to your NW for that one, 6" and less to your SE. 

Through 60, 15z SREFs drop just over 0.5" QPF

DCA goes above 32 degrees it would seem at hour 60... lose 850s around hr 57/58

Using hr 57 as the last time (as in hour before the changeover) it snows, 12 hr QPF from 45 to 57 is 0.4"-0.5"

Using the RaleighWx maps for DC:

48 -- QPF makes it into DC, light snow starts

51 -- light snow

54 -- snow

57 -- snow/sleet/freezing rain (850 0c right over DCA)

60 -- rain in DCA (freezing rain in western suburbs)

DCA ~0.45 QPF frozen before the switch to rain

If you compare 0z to 12z, the alignment of the trough/precip shield is dampening more wsw-ene vs sw-ne. For visual, last night it was aimed at 1 o'clock. 12z is more 2 o'clock. Awful close to a bigger hit in the cities. We can only be weenies and wishcast it home.

I can read Chinese easier than this

Using the RaleighWx maps for DC:

48 -- QPF makes it into DC, light snow starts

51 -- light snow

54 -- snow

57 -- snow/sleet/freezing rain (850 0c right over DCA)

60 -- rain in DCA (freezing rain in western suburbs)

DCA ~0.45 QPF frozen before the switch to rain

I know it's the SREF out in its la-la land, but I'll go on and ask:  when things switch over to rain, how warm does the SREF mean get the 2-m temperatures?  Is it an all-out torch, or much more tempered like what the NAM and GFS trended toward?  Also, do we get poured on or is most of the precip over already by the time of the flip?

I know it's the SREF out in its la-la land, but I'll go on and ask:  when things switch over to rain, how warm does the SREF mean get the 2-m temperatures?  Is it an all-out torch, or much more tempered like what the NAM and GFS trended toward?  Also, do we get poured on or is most of the precip over already by the time of the flip?

here you go

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=sref&area=namer&cycle=20150219%2015%20UTC&param=2m_temp&fourpan=no&imageSize=&ps=model

Looks like it gets into the low 40s

It stays in the upper 30s for most of the second half of the event.

Looks like it gets into the low 40s

It stays in the upper 30s for most of the second half of the event.

TYVM!!  Of course, I don't know what I was thinking, should have gone myself to the NCEP site at least!  But appreciate the feedback.  Basically looks similar to the NAM/GFS, gets us to ~40ish; some appreciable precip once it flips to rain, but doesn't look like a washout.  Temps really look like they drop by Sunday evening.

Again, I know this is parsing the SREF out in time, but it's what we do!

personally, I love seeing the national radar lighting up today since that NW/SE line represents the boundary of the arctic air which the SW flow is already attacking

obviously, the earlier it gets going on Saturday, the better.....who knows, I wouldn't be shocked if runs starting tonight or tomorrow start showing snow breaking out in western burbs before sunrise on Saturday   :weenie: :weenie:

Good to see all the 12z models come into a somewhat similar solution for Sat afternoon... now the questions are how long can we hold on to the cold air, and how much snow ;)

Even though the high off the coast will produce a sw flow the high is very snug to the coast and sitting over 30* salt water, not much warm up there.

Anybody have a guess for the Leesburg/Purcellville area in W. Loudoun County? I would love to have Sunday School canceled in the morning and sleep in. Any chance the snow sticks around long enough to get a cancellation before the changeover to mix?

Jays wintry mix on FB will have your up to date Loudoun county church cast

Anybody have a guess for the Leesburg/Purcellville area in W. Loudoun County? I would love to have Sunday School canceled in the morning and sleep in. Any chance the snow sticks around long enough to get a cancellation before the changeover to mix?

I live out in Purcellville.. I would say a 3 to 5" snow and it should be messy to mess up Sunday Morning services... THAT IS ALL based on models and I would not count on it. Just watch what people are posting for JYO (Lessburg) and Winchester.. We are more like Leesburg and not really close to Winchester.. but make it a bit colder that JYO and warmer than Winchester and that is all you can do.. BUT asking IMBY questions are usually frowned upon.. saying what you thing IYBY is fine.

Archived