• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday, 2/18 Afternoon/Evening Snow on Snow Event

Deck Pic

Guess the last Artic front was just flakes flying ?

Almost 3" of flakes flying.

Might come through dry. But I think isolated areas might see some good bursts.

In a couple of years, the recollection of that front will be a foot of snow and 100 mph winds.

Here...........it was about a 1/4" of snow and lasted about 10 minutes if that.  Whoohoo!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That last squall was basically a brief severe snow thunderstorm imby with 2"+. Check out this video, it was as intense of a scene as I've seen including multiple huge blizzards in Boston over the past 10 years.

Having said that, i very highly doubt we see anything close to those conditions down here with this event.

50-60 mph gusts with 2-3" of snow is pretty solid around here. That is correct. Most guidance for that event showed that areas just east of the hills would be in a ****ty location for snow and that's what happened. 

It was a very localized, very intense area of enhanced snowfall that was actually modeled pretty well by at least one model (can't remember which) pretty late in the game.  I remember Bob Chill joking around by saying something like he'd be excited about it only if   that blob of modeled precip moved over his house...which it did!

The vast majority of the area - not just those in the mountain shadows - saw relatively little snowfall from it.

It was a very localized, very intense area of enhanced snowfall that was actually modeled pretty well by at least one model (can't remember which) pretty late in the game.  I remember Bob Chill joking around by saying something like he'd be excited about it only if   that blob of modeled precip moved over his house...which it did!

The vast majority of the area - not just those in the mountain shadows - saw relatively little snowfall from it.

And let's be honest............we don't really care about other areas.  What it does at my house is all that matters to me.  And what I anticipate it doing today is nothing.

MBY is the only area that matters  ;) . And i anticipate 1" :).

That last squall was basically a brief severe snow thunderstorm imby with 2"+. Check out this video, it was as intense of a scene as I've seen including multiple huge blizzards in Boston over the past 10 years.

Having said that, i very highly doubt we see anything close to those conditions down here with this event.

That is awesome! I had that for like 2 minutes but it was not that intense! 

Hires RGEM I believe.  It had it a touch too far south and west, but it was the only model that had anything like it as I recall.  

if by localized you mean a multi county area then that would be correct. In general, the areas that were modeled to get a decent amount from it actually got it. I don't believe there was any guidance indicating the entire MA or even LWX area was going to see more than a gusty coating. Here's the LWX PIS. Many locations in a multi county area received 1-4". And for the record, I don't think anyone is indicating that today will be like Saturday.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=34&glossary=0

if by localized you mean a multi county area then that would be correct. In general, the areas that were modeled to get a decent amount from it actually got it. I don't believe there was any guidance indicating the entire MA or even LWX area was going to see more than a gusty coating. Here's the LWX PIS. Many locations in a multi county area received 1-4". And for the record, I don't think anyone is indicating that today will be like Saturday.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=34&glossary=0

The RGEM nailed it, including showing the region of 0.2"+ liquid equivalent from the DC suburbs into the Baltimore area. 

And if I remember correctly, some of the later runs of the Hi-res NAM showed some higher amounts from the northern DC burbs moving east across AA county and onto the Eastern shore. 

The RGEM nailed it, including showing the region of 0.2"+ liquid equivalent from the DC suburbs into the Baltimore area. 

50-60 mph gusts with 2-3" of snow is pretty solid around here. That is correct. Most guidance for that event showed that areas just east of the hills would be in a ****ty location for snow and that's what happened. 

Squalls are always crappy just east of the mountains. Its not the way we get snow out here. Ill be happy with another 1/4 inch.

I was on Rockville pike just north of white flint. It was basically white out conditions. I have lived in Rockville 52 years and can only remember one other time with conditions like that. It was in the early 90's and thundersnow put down over 4.5" in about an hour. Truly amazing. Thanks for the video. And I do not expect the same today. But we can always hope.

...NO SVR TSTM AREAS FORECAST...

...SUMMARY...
A FEW LIGHTNING STRIKES ARE POSSIBLE FROM THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS
INTO CENTRAL PARTS OF VIRGINIA AND NORTH CAROLINA THIS AFTERNOON
INTO EVENING.

...SYNOPSIS...

A SHORT-WAVE TROUGH CURRENTLY APPROACHING THE BRITISH COLUMBIA COAST
WILL PROGRESS INLAND AND EFFECTIVELY BREAK DOWN THE WRN U.S. RIDGE.
IN RESPONSE TO THIS PATTERN EVOLUTION...A LONG-WAVE TROUGH PRESENT
EAST OF THE ROCKIES WILL ADVANCE EWD TOWARD THE ATLANTIC COAST. AT
THE SURFACE...AN ANTICYCLONE WILL BUILD FROM THE CANADIAN PRAIRIE
PROVINCES AND NRN PLAINS INTO THE MS VALLEY WITH DRY AND STABLE
CONDITIONS PREVAILING AT MOST LOCATIONS.

...CNTRL APPALACHIANS INTO VA/NC PIEDMONT THIS AFTERNOON/EVENING...

DESPITE THE PRESENCE OF A RATHER DRY AIR MASS /I.E. PW VALUES OF
GENERALLY LESS THAN .25 INCH/...A WARMING BOUNDARY LAYER COUPLED
WITH ADIABATIC COOLING IN THE MID-LEVELS DOWNSTREAM FROM A STRONG
SHORT-WAVE TROUGH APPROACHING FROM THE OH VALLEY WILL RESULT IN A
WEAKLY UNSTABLE ENVIRONMENT BY AFTERNOON. THE FORCING FOR ASCENT
ATTENDANT TO THE SHORT-WAVE TROUGH WILL ENHANCE LOW-LEVEL
CONVERGENCE ALONG A WEAK SURFACE FRONT MOVING THROUGH THE REGION TO
FOCUS A BAND OF LOW-TOPPED CONVECTION...SOME OF WHICH COULD PRODUCE
SPORADIC LIGHTNING.

AMEN. I only got a trace of snow on Saturday compared to what you show here, Bob. But Saturday was the first time I ever saw pure whiteout conditions IMBY, or in NoVA for that matter...very similar to that YouTube video a few posts up. For about five minutes, I literally couldn't see the chain link fence 30 feet away from the back of my home...surreal.

I just want to see this again. This was before the whiteout. I thinks chances of seeing rates like this are zero. It's not the same setup as Sat. 

attachicon.gifvday.JPG

Archived