joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday, 2/18 Afternoon/Evening Snow on Snow Event

Deck Pic

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snsq parameter from burlingtons 12k wrf did a good job with the squall the other night. It likes tomorrow night as well for our local area. On the phone and posting pics is too much of a pita. Values between 2-4, which is good. entering dc around 7pm.I have no idea how similar that is to other guidance. And it actually has an area of .25 qpf for parts of Frederick, Carroll and baltimore counties. Area of .10 for a larger area.

Yeah it was impressive but not accumulation producing. And I agree with you. We dont do squalls well here. Snow or Severe. We are too close to the mountains.

Yeah, the down sloping just kills us, and this stretch of southern Fred. Co is even worse.  I'm counting the days until I move.  If I had known how infuriatingly dry and windy Stephens City was I'd never have moved here.

This really isn't about amounts.   We're obviously all looking to add to our totals for the season, but regardless of whether it's a dusting or 1.5", it will be a high-impact event as the temperatures crash right behind the band of precip and turn the roads into an icy mess.

Last Sunday morning at 8 am featured the most dramatic primary road (River Road, Old Georgetown Rd, Right lane of 495 between Old Georgetown and River Road) sheets of ice I've ever seen. Cars were sliding across red lights the entire way on River Road towards DC. 

I don't think tomorrow night will be quite as bad; the winds behind Saturday's squalls kept on replenishing the snow on the roads so that the tire melting/flash freeze process could continue overnight. But, there should still be patches of ice wherever snow falls heavily for a time. 

I know I certainly want a repeat of sat night but there are some key differences this go around. Sat had a very strong shortwave and sub 1k mature low pressure traversing pa and off the coast. Much more dynamic than what we are seeing tomorrow. Should be a nice line that will hopefully be unbroken as it passes. I expect it to be similar to a strong spring cold front precip wise.

Gym, there's a lot of sugar and flour on the ground that hasn't been touched by wind. Post front should look pretty cool unless it cakes up tomorrow. Roads will probably experience some of the same problems as overnight saturday. Even without any snowfall the wind can cause its own problems.

Archived