joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah based on radar which doesn't look bad and the rates that have been improving around some parts recently, I'd expect about 5" at the end of this one. Would be a great total. 

5 inches would make both me and my Corgi ridiculously happy, and will be easy for him to play fetch in tomorrow.  There's nothing a Corgi loves more than snow fetch...unless it's too deep for his stumpy legs.

Rates are the best they've been all night, and the radar is filling in nicely!  I'm optimistic for 5 inches :)

There were definitely bouncing particles that snow does not accomplish. Maybe graupel?

Yea, has to be. Weird storm with snow growth. My 15-1 call was awful. But I profess limited skill at best. It's not that it's too cold. Surface doesn't determine snow growth. Upstairs is in the good range but other things are in play. Dynamics/lift/fronto etc. Next few hours will likely feature the best ratios/rates. A lot going on in the atmosphere right now.

Yea, has to be. Weird storm with snow growth. My 15-1 call was awful. But I profess limited skill at best. It's not that it's too cold. Surface doesn't determine snow growth. Upstairs is in the good range but other things are in play. Dynamics/lift/fronto etc. Next few hours will likely feature the best ratios/rates. A lot going on in the atmosphere right now.

Then what ratios are we really looking at?

I'm going to have to go back to just calling people weenies for talking about ratios. Though we'll see.. the backside should be good there.

I'm going to have to go back to just calling people weenies for talking about ratios. Though we'll see.. the backside should be good there.

Guilty as charged. I don't think anybody called for the type of snow growth we've seen. Unusual. Similar but slightly different storm would probably fluff us to death. I'm not very picky either way. Beats the F out of mixed to melty glop.

There were definitely bouncing particles that snow does not accomplish. Maybe graupel?

I am confirming the bouncing.. Just took a drive through downtown Baltimore and it sounded like sand particles on my window.. Def not sleet.. But very fine grain flakes

Archived