• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

This is a nice write-up by LWX at 10:19 pm on the hole in the precip shield, and why it should fill back in:

STILL NO CHANGES TO WARNINGS AND ADVYS AT THIS TIME. LTST RADAR
TRENDS SUGGEST THAT A HOLE HAS DVLPD IN THE PCPN SHIELD. THIS
SEEMS TO BE ALIGNED WITH AN AREA OF NVA (negative vorticity advection) CAPTURED IN LTST NAM.
WHILE ISENT UPGLIDE MVG OFFSHORE...THERE ARE STILL SVRL FACTORS
WHICH SUPPORT PCPN DVLPMNT. FIRST OF ALL...THERE WL BE PLENTY OF
LIFT DUE TO UPR JET...WHICH WUD PERMIT RAPID LIFT/PCPN DVLPMNT
ONCE A MORE FVRBL SCENARIO RETURNS BENEATH. SECOND...THERES
STILL A PLETHORA OF S/WV ENERGY TO SWING THRU. FINALLY...LOPRES
TRACKING ACRS SERN CONUS WL BE SENDING ITS BAROCLINIC ZONE TWD THE
MID ATLC. SO WHILE BANDING MAY NOT BE QUITE AS OPTIMAL AS ERLR...
ITS TOO SOON TO CALL THIS THING OFF. HV TRIMMED PCPN TTLS BY ABT
AN INCH DUE TO THE CURRENT LULL. SUBSTANTIVELY...THAT WONT CHG
MUCH. THE HIEST TTLS WL BE IN SRN MD...LOWEST NUMBERS WL BE IN THE
NWRN CORNER.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll happily take both. I thought your office doesn't follow OPM anymore?

We don't observe delay anymore but we still follow closing. Tomorrow may feel kinda silly though there has never legitimately been a reason I couldnt get to work in my 9 years here when OPM closed except maybe dec 2009 because I wasn't on the metro line then. Tough call.. They sort of had to with snow emergency and wmata Saturday schedule. Even though it's cold sun angle and powder may make it easier to clean up. Eh.. They need a new system sooner than later.

I do have to admit the whole system seems to be moving faster than I thought it would....of course, that could explain the earlier start time

didn't think about that when I was rejoicing over the earlier snow arrival, did I

I think we all thought that the "dry" threat above us was overstated. I've never really liked these storms that has its precip field basically moving west to east even though the lp was sw of us.

This is a nice write-up by LWX at 10:19 pm on the hole in the precip shield, and why it should fill back in:

STILL NO CHANGES TO WARNINGS AND ADVYS AT THIS TIME. LTST RADAR

TRENDS SUGGEST THAT A HOLE HAS DVLPD IN THE PCPN SHIELD. THIS

SEEMS TO BE ALIGNED WITH AN AREA OF NVA (negative vorticity advection) CAPTURED IN LTST NAM.

WHILE ISENT UPGLIDE MVG OFFSHORE...THERE ARE STILL SVRL FACTORS

WHICH SUPPORT PCPN DVLPMNT. FIRST OF ALL...THERE WL BE PLENTY OF

LIFT DUE TO UPR JET...WHICH WUD PERMIT RAPID LIFT/PCPN DVLPMNT

ONCE A MORE FVRBL SCENARIO RETURNS BENEATH. SECOND...THERES

STILL A PLETHORA OF S/WV ENERGY TO SWING THRU. FINALLY...LOPRES

TRACKING ACRS SERN CONUS WL BE SENDING ITS BAROCLINIC ZONE TWD THE

MID ATLC. SO WHILE BANDING MAY NOT BE QUITE AS OPTIMAL AS ERLR...

ITS TOO SOON TO CALL THIS THING OFF. HV TRIMMED PCPN TTLS BY ABT

AN INCH DUE TO THE CURRENT LULL. SUBSTANTIVELY...THAT WONT CHG

MUCH. THE HIEST TTLS WL BE IN SRN MD...LOWEST NUMBERS WL BE IN THE

NWRN CORNER.

Where did you find this?

In Richmond, about 4 inches on ground. Some real heavy snow about to move in, and then actually it looks like the dry slot that I thought was going to threaten us is rapidly filling in back towards Roanoke/Lynchburg and that should be good news for NOVa/DC/MD folks as well

We don't observe delay anymore but we still follow closing. Tomorrow may feel kinda silly though there has never legitimately been a reason I couldnt get to work in my 9 years here when OPM closed except maybe dec 2009 because I wasn't on the metro line then. Tough call.. They sort of had to with snow emergency and wmata Saturday schedule. Even though it's cold sun angle and powder may make it easier to clean up. Eh.. They need a new system sooner than later.

Agree. We generally follow OPM but have been known to do our own thing. I genuinely expected a delay tomorrow but a closure at 9pm is pretty surprising but you are right. The snow emergency and metro schedule really helped drive the decision.

mcd0076.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0076   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0933 PM CST MON FEB 16 2015   AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF NRN VIRGINIA...CNTRL MARYLAND...DELAWARE   AND SRN NEW JERSEY   CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW    VALID 170333Z - 170800Z   SUMMARY...INCREASING SNOW RATES...UP TO 1-2 INCHES PER HOUR...STILL   APPEAR POSSIBLE OVERNIGHT...MAINLY ACROSS SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE   GREATER BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREA INTO SOUTHERN NEW   JERSEY.   DISCUSSION...COINCIDING WITH STRENGTHENING LOW-LEVEL WARM   ADVECTION...AND SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS NEAR THE NORTH CAROLINA   COAST...MODELS INDICATE LOWER/MID TROPOSPHERIC FRONTOGENETIC FORCING   WILL INTENSIFY WITHIN A PIVOTING BAND TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE   INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR TOWARD THE 05-07Z TIME FRAME. THIS APPEARS   LIKELY TO CONTRIBUTE TO STRENGTHENING DEEP LAYER FORCING FOR UPWARD   VERTICAL MOTION...AND AT LEAST SOME INCREASE IN SNOW RATES...IN THE   PRESENCE OF SATURATED...SUB-FREEZING THERMODYNAMIC PROFILES.     OUTPUT FROM THE LATEST NCEP-SREF AND RAPID REFRESH SUGGEST THE   DEVELOPMENT OF A BAND OR BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW...WITH RATES OF 1 TO 2   INCHES PER HOUR...IS POSSIBLE.  GIVEN AVAILABLE PRECIPITABLE WATER   ON THE ORDER OF .4 TO .5 INCHES...AND THE COLD NATURE OF THE NEAR   SURFACE LAYER...SUPPORTIVE OF RELATIVELY HIGH SNOW TO LIQUID WATER   RATIOS...THIS APPEARS REASONABLE.  IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS COULD   IMPACT AREAS AS FAR WEST AND NORTH AS THE INTERSTATE 95   CORRIDOR...BUT HIGHEST PROBABILITIES FOR HEAVY SNOW APPEAR TO EXIST   ACROSS FAR SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE GREATER BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON   METROPOLITAN AREA...PERHAPS DEVELOPING NORTHEASTWARD INTO PORTIONS   OF SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY BY 09Z.

All indications are that this storm is just about over for areas north of 64 and west of rt. 29 in virginia. Not so sure the coastal is gonna get much going over this way.

Jesus. Im gonna blow a gasket. stop staring at your computer screen and look out your window. The western flank of the precip shield is filling in and the snow is quite heavy under it. I need to take a break from the site for a while. Il be back with a midnight ob.

About 2.0-2.5" in upper NW. Gemstone snow, how it sparkles in the street lights as it falls. Aesthetically, top notch.

Now if quantity is its own quality, this may ... fall short. Don't like the look of that radar-echo challenged quadrilateral to the west of DC.

In most contexts, "fill in" usually implies something less than ideal. Machado goes on the DL, Flaherty "fills in." But in snowstorms, "filling in" is devoutly to be wished.

Archived