joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

much better than it was with that wind, though lol.  that was serious business yesterday.  was taking pics along the potomac and it literally felt like a wind tunnel.  i did not last long.

in other news...nam looked solid.  maybe a hair slower?  doesn't matter.  moderate storm incoming with temps in the teens.

oh...and also snow on snow.

yeah, that wind and cold combo was close if not more extreme than the first one in Jan. 2014.

We've seen the HRRR struggle a lot in these synoptic snow situations.    Part of the problem is that the radar reflectivity assimilation is tuned for warm-season convective events with higher reflectivity values, and when it tries to assimilate these "weaker" radar signatures, it seems to get messed up a bit.

i'm really not sure what's causing the drying we've seen in the HRRR runs towards this evening -- doesn't really show up much in any of the regional/global models -- it's not like we have a super strong high pressure feeding dry air into the region (at least not to my knowledge). 

We've seen the HRRR struggle a lot in these synoptic snow situations.    Part of the problem is that the radar reflectivity assimilation is tuned for warm-season convective events with higher reflectivity values, and when it tries to assimilate these "weaker" radar signatures, it seems to get messed up a bit.

thanks! I had assumed that may be an issue...

Interesting, I'll try to remember that. It seems that way based on how the warm season events have impacted this region. 

Big time wetter. I went from .25 to .55.

nice...I don't really pay attention outside DC...not because I don't care...I do, but I am juggling too many things when a storm is underway, and I am not as comfortable commenting on other areas without doing my due diligence 1st and it takes too much time.  I have focused on DC the whole way through, so it is much easier for me to make a snap post about DC, and be accurate.

Archived