joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16-17th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

earlier start time, dry air not playing much of a factor. 

This. The main worry has been about dry air up our way - if we can get going early, means we can maximize what qpf we do get, rather than wasting it for a time.

Fingers crossed. Like the reports of snow near BWI. Get that into the city and up your way and we can go after the 4 inches.

This. The main worry has been about dry air up our way - if we can get going early, means we can maximize what qpf we do get, rather than wasting it for a time.

Fingers crossed. Like the reports of snow near BWI. Get that into the city and up your way and we can go after the 4 inches.

I had snow very quickly when the radar returns got over my house. It doesn't take long

others seem to think we do ok, but not feeling this one to be honest. best precip/rates will be to our south.

yesterday most were assuming the north trend would continue, I was rooting for that too of course, but I wasn't shocked when it reversed a bit. Kinda gave upon the big totals up here last night when it was obvious there wasn't a late north shift and the storm was too progressive. We have more time up here then dc to richmond, our climo supports 10"+ through March so perhaps we get ours later. Pattern remains active and cold

Out of curiosity what causes the dry slot that normally happens on the east side of the apps when storms are moving west to east?

downsloping effect. Precip gets dried up coming over the 4000 ft mountains. Plus with any west component to the wind you get sinking air and that dries out the lower levels. That same area can get crushed with a good coastal track if there is an easterly component to the wind and the precip comes from the south. Then they get upslope instead. Wind direction is huge in areas with elevation changes.

Archived