joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16-17th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in your neck of the woods, think we are in a good spot?

I think we do fine in MontCo -- hoping for 5".  It will definitely be more DC and south but that's OK with me.  I really want to hit the 5" mark though.  I remember the 1/30/10 event we were predicted for just 2-4" with 6-10" south of DC, and we ended up with 7".  Maybe we get lucky with a good band or two!  Sure is nice to have no worries at all on precip type.

Well, the BEST method is to look at BUFKIT data for soundings.  A good rule-of-thumb is for temps in the -12 to -18C range in the best altitudes of strong vertical motion.  What's cautioning me in saying 15:1 is a lock is that the best upward vertical velocities seem to be in areas south of DC where the temps at altitude might not be that cold for the whole time.  I made a post about this in the main thread.  I'd like someone to post some BUFKIT data so I can see where the best VVs are located. 

I can do that in the main thread. Any particular model choice? I'll start with 12Z GFS

I think we do fine in MontCo -- hoping for 5".  It will definitely be more DC and south but that's OK with me.  I really want to hit the 5" mark though.  I remember the 1/30/10 event we were predicted for just 2-4" with 6-10" south of DC, and we ended up with 7".  Maybe we get lucky with a good band or two!  Sure is nice to have no worries at all on precip type.

I never thought I'd miss living in Largo.  :)

CWG says less than 50/50 chance of the Federal gov't closing tomorrow?

Can't imagine a situation where we have frigid temps and 6" on the ground from an overnight storm where the gov't is open.  I also bet with a friend that the gov't will be closed tomorrow (payment is in alcoholic beverages), so I have a lot riding on this! :D

Hey if it's alright with you guys, I'm going to pretend to live in this region for the night. Just mark me down wherever is getting at least 7".

Woo hoo! Snow snow snow!

If that were you in your avatar, you could not only pretend to live in this region, but someone would let you live with them I'd bet LOL. Sorry, I had to. 

Calm down hornballs, that is my job.

Thank God.  A voice of reason.  What took you so long?

:)

Also banter, I'm glad no one seems to have been seriously hurt, but here's just another piece of evidence of why living in 21208 is terrible for your insurance rates.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/suv-senior-car-bus-collide-in-pikesville-15-injured/31294820

I really don't understand why LWX updates its snowfall map so frequently. How does that serve anyone, except confuse people. We are a very, very small group who keep tabs on this stuff continually. Most people would like at once, and move on to the rest of their lives. I can see updating it twice a day, or after each shift, etc, but in the span of 2 hours it took DC from 6 to 8, down to 4 to 6, and then back up to 6 to 8 (with 8 to 10 creeping toward the city from the south)... How is this much change helpful to anyone?

Archived