SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 16-17th Storm II

stormtracker

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we all understand we're talking about shifts on the order of numerical noise, right? 0.01 to 0.10 shifts in most cases...

It's painful reading the talk about shifts wrt to this storm at this point.  It really is noise and people should no better.  If it was 100 miles plus, I'd get it.

Basically, in the metro regions, it looks like we have front-end snow until 10 or 11pm, and then it transitions to be more closely tied to the low pressure system, with our better rates after midnight.  If we can get into the band that generally forms on the NW side, we could maximize our potential.  Areas just NW of that may underperform a bit.

the hi-res windows can be good - the precip verification scores for them are actually pretty good and on par with the 4 km NAM, although they have a very slight wet bias

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/ylin/pcpverif/scores/2015/201501/hiresw.201501.gif

they're initialized off of the RAP, so if the RAP is funky, the hi-res windows will be similar.   There is definitely something going on in the past 24 hours in the analysis that is leading the RAP to be "healthier" with this system.    All of the SREF members initialized off of the RAP are by far the wettest for central and northern MD, and the hi-res windows look similar.  I just can't be sure whether it's correct.

They're not good for this type of thing. 

sounds like everything is pretty much fine based on qpf amounts.  small changes that aren't dramatic shifts

all guidance at this point is in a 0.5 to 0.6 range for me and you...except last night's GGEM which is 0.23 and a huge outlier, so useless at this point...I'd be much more worried about GGEM if its little sister hadn't been consistent the last 2 runs.....our MOE is pretty big...even if everything shifts 50 miles to the south/southeast we're still good for 4"+.

Justin berk's final call. Pretty solid in my opinion.

http://www.justinweather.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/FinalCallFeb16.jpg

He's probably too bullish but when you don't have any fallout from being wrong and you will still get more FB followers, you have nothing to lose by making an 80th percentile solution your actual map on every single event

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
509 AM EST MON FEB 16 2015

DCZ001-MDZ013-014-016>018-504-506-VAZ054-161815-
/O.CON.KLWX.WS.W.0005.150216T2300Z-150217T1700Z/
/O.CON.KLWX.WC.Y.0008.000000T0000Z-150216T1500Z/
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-
ST. MARYS-CALVERT-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY-
CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...
ST MARYS CITY...ROCKVILLE...COLUMBIA...ELLICOTT CITY...
ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH
509 AM EST MON FEB 16 2015

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS
MORNING...
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING
TO NOON EST TUESDAY...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 10 INCHES.

The RR/HRRR are showing something that the GFS had yesterday. They have the initial lead precip petering out before the low pressure really "takes over". So, there is a period where the radar falls apart and looks like crap. This is just to caution against weenie breakdowns that are inevitable.

rad13.gif

pointed that out early but mitch told me to ignore it :)

He's probably too bullish but when you don't have any fallout from being wrong and you will still get more FB followers, you have nothing to lose by making an 80th percentile solution your actual map on every single event

My wsw is for 6-10 fwiw

JB2's forecast is similar to mine after adjusting for the different snow total contours. Not sure why he's getting hate on this forecast.

The only reason he is getting hate i think is, because he has my house right by the 6-10" line. I think 6" is my high end. Imo he should have put a 4-8" zone from just north of Baltimore until BWI and it would have been a reasonable map.

Archived