• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 16-17 Winter Storm Obs Thread

Blue Ridge

I never got above 27º at the surface at my location. Finished with 5 inches just south of Bristol. Pretty decent considering the early sleet. Areas just north of Bristol got 6+. And places towards Wise, Dickenson and Russell Counties got hammered with 10+. That last HRRR right up before the event appeared to be right on the money with the warm nose around 700-800mb all the way to KTRI.

Carver, I have a friend that lives near Lynn Garden Drive that measured 6.25 on final total. Kingsport has several microclimates within a microclimate. lol....

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power just came back on here at 12:30 central. Went out at 5:30 last night. Got about .4 to .5 of ice. There was some sleet for a time yesterday morning, but it was mostly FZRN.  Woodstove kept us warm and the storm left us plenty of firewood for the next couple of years. :)

Same here we really only got sleet at the start within the first hour or two, but even then it was mixed with freezing rain, then the duration from there was just plain straight up freezing rain.  So many trees down, down this way Southern Roane County, Northern Meigs County.  I counted at least 20 down that the highway department cut on my road just within a 4 mile drive.

Regarding the downslope winds/temperature issues yesterday near the mountains, I think this tells the story.  Here is the Camp Creek data from yesterday.

metgraph1_048_hrs.jpg

metgraph3_048_hrs.jpg

Thanks for that Math/Met! I was watching the temp at the Camp Creek station skyrocket up as my temperature also climbed. I'm about 10 miles north of Camp Creek.

Regarding the downslope winds/temperature issues yesterday near the mountains, I think this tells the story.  Here is the Camp Creek data from yesterday.

Wow! Thanks for posting that data. 60mph gust coinciding with 38.3? That's pretty damning evidence for downslopping. The warm nose was creeping in at 700-800 mb and would have been spilling over the Balds and Unakas. I suspect the airmass was compressing down the slope into the valley from the crest of the Viking/Buffalo Ridge, giving way to those pretty hefty wind gusts in Camp Creek and moderating the temperatures in Greene and Washington Counties. Thanks for posting this. Fascinating stuff!

How are the main roads in Knox? I need to get to the James White Parkway today. My road is atrocious  but I'm used to it in all weather.

My wife made it from Gallaher to downtown via I-40 and James White this morning at 8:30....against my stern protests...but her bosses charge vacation time if you don't come in....

The sledding was intense wasn't it. Crazy how fast you can go on ice like this. Got some ice cuts myself but so worth it! Can definite relate to grabbing the kids before they hit the fence. I had to block a piece of rebar stuck in the ground so the kids didn't run over it at Mach 5 myself.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
NOON CST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NASHVILLE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT
TONIGHT TO NOON CST WEDNESDAY.

* TIMING...FROM MIDNIGHT TO NOON WEDNESDAY.

* MAIN IMPACT...AROUND 1 INCH OF SNOW IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE.
  LOCATIONS NEAR THE ALABAMA BORDER WILL HAVE GENERALLY LESS THAN
  1 INCH. LOCATIONS ALONG THE KENTUCKY BORDER AND THE HIGH
  ELEVATIONS OF THE UPPER CUMBERLAND COULD HAVE 2 INCHES. SNOW
  WILL MAKE TRAVEL HAZARDOUS.

* OTHER IMPACTS...IN ADDITION TO NEW SNOWFALL...LEFTOVER MOISTURE
  FROM THE ICE STORM WILL REFREEZE...CREATING ICY PATCHES. THIS
  SYSTEM WILL ALSO BRING MORE COLD AIR AND GUSTY WINDS...WITH
  WIND CHILLS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS THROUGH THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

NOON CST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NASHVILLE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT

TONIGHT TO NOON CST WEDNESDAY.

* TIMING...FROM MIDNIGHT TO NOON WEDNESDAY.

* MAIN IMPACT...AROUND 1 INCH OF SNOW IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

LOCATIONS NEAR THE ALABAMA BORDER WILL HAVE GENERALLY LESS THAN

1 INCH. LOCATIONS ALONG THE KENTUCKY BORDER AND THE HIGH

ELEVATIONS OF THE UPPER CUMBERLAND COULD HAVE 2 INCHES. SNOW

WILL MAKE TRAVEL HAZARDOUS.

* OTHER IMPACTS...IN ADDITION TO NEW SNOWFALL...LEFTOVER MOISTURE

FROM THE ICE STORM WILL REFREEZE...CREATING ICY PATCHES. THIS

SYSTEM WILL ALSO BRING MORE COLD AIR AND GUSTY WINDS...WITH

WIND CHILLS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS THROUGH THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY.

Looks like they are expecting a pretty good hit Friday into Saturday too 

Poor Reb, pretty sure his power is still off. A couple hours ago he hauled the contents of his fridge/freezer to his car. Shortly after power came on. He hauls it all back in, power goes back out lol.

I would tell him to put it in the snow but it would tough to put anything in freezing rain lol. The winds tomorrow could be 25-40 mph. Not good at all.

Archived