Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb. 16-17 Winter Storm Obs Thread

Blue Ridge

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temperature at 30.9. It has risen 3.1 degrees in last hour. Very light drizzle right now

I believe from looking at the broader radar we are right in the axis of the "blowtorch", few people report quick warming.  I'm still below freezing but over the last hour I've risen 3 degrees.  As that axis passes down to our south that will likely back off and even begin the falling process.

Pretty fascinating. I'm all snow here now. It's actually got a few degrees colder here. At my place it is 24º NE @ 12 mph. Eight miles north of me at WCYB in Bristol it's 22º NE @ 14. Yet, only 25 miles southwest of here in Johnson City it's 30º with a SW @ 10. You can definitely see where the warmer surface airmass is sitting. A few miles and or a little bit of elevation could really make or break this event for folks in upper East TN.

I believe from looking at the broader radar we are right in the axis of the "blowtorch", few people report quick warming.  I'm still below freezing but over the last hour I've risen 3 degrees.  As that axis passes down to our south that will likely back off and even begin the falling process.

A weather station at Camp Creek (Greene County) at the foot of the mountains has seen the temperature rise 11 degrees in the last 45 minutes. It's right now 41 degrees there

A weather station at Camp Creek (Greene County) at the foot of the mountains has seen the temperature rise 11 degrees in the last 45 minutes. It's right now 41 degrees there

What is your wind direction? I'm wondering if some downslopping is occurring right there just west of the Unaka Mountains and moderating your air mass. Same thing occuring for Johnson City off of Buffalo.

Erwin is experiencing freezing rain at 27º. lol...

Sleetageddon? So far I've not had any freezing rain since the light coating around 8 this morning.

Freezing rain and sleet. High near 29. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. Total daytime sleet accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

What is your wind direction? I'm wondering if some downslopping is occurring right there just west of the Unaka Mountains and moderating your air mass. Same thing occuring for Johnson City off of Buffalo.

Winds there were out of the south at 15 mph at Camp Creek where they had the temp at 41. That location is 10 miles south of me. The winds in Greeneville are calm and we are sitting at 32.

It is very interesting based on tnmtlhead's post I was looking at some wunderground stations and there are quite a few right along the edge of the smokies in the mid 30s and a couple around 40....interesting effect....

Yet I'm way south but further west closer to the Plateau and 29 with heavy freezing rain pretty much the whole event.  I really think its the trajectory of WAA being SW running up to the base of the mountains, while people further south but closer to the plateau are colder in the shadow/dam of the plateau.  It is an interesting effect, one I only really recall seeing one other time in the 90s.  

It is very interesting based on tnmtlhead's post I was looking at some wunderground stations and there are quite a few right along the edge of the smokies in the mid 30s and a couple around 40....interesting effect....

It's very interesting indeed. I'm assuming it is due to downsloping winds? I'm up to a balmy 41 now, it's almost pleasant outside

Archived