• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

power just came back on after being out for about 5 hours.i was outside when the transformer up the road blew...never have seen that up close. I honestly can't believe it came back so soon.  Damage, at least here at my house, is bad. The top of a water oak broke...about 40 feet in length, BARELY missing the house...although it did clip and damage the back porch. I got so lucky with where it fell..just 10 feet over and i'd be sick right now.

precip finally stopped but Branches are breaking about once a minute..it's unreal....we'll see what we have in the morning. but at least around my yard and with my tree's it's been one of the worst i have ever had....from a storm every single model said would not happen on every run for days. pretty amazing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

power just came back on after being out for about 5 hours.i was outside when the transformer up the road blew...never have seen that up close. I honestly can't believe it came back so soon.  Damage, at least here at my house, is bad. The top of a water oak broke...about 40 feet in length, BARELY missing the house...although it did clip and damage the back porch. I got so lucky with where it fell..just 10 feet over and i'd be sick right now.

precip finally stopped but Branches are breaking about once a minute..it's unreal....we'll see what we have in the morning. but at least around my yard and with my tree's it's been one of the worst i have ever had....from a storm every single model said would not happen on every run for days. pretty amazing.

Glad it missed the house lookout. We are accruing ice quickly here now and i suspect we will start to see the trees giving way if it keeps up. We were saved by an hour or two of heavy sleet which cut down our ZR totals.

Pretty crazy storm when you think about how poorly the models handled the cold air. Pretty big bust on temps for sure.

Glad it missed the house lookout. We are accruing ice quickly here now and i suspect we will start to see the trees giving way if it keeps up. We were saved by an hour or two of heavy sleet which cut down our ZR totals.

Pretty crazy storm when you think about how poorly the models handled the cold air. Pretty big bust on temps for sure.

thanks man. Yeah i had been watching it all evening and about 11:30 i saw it and i just knew it wouldn't make it..sure enough about 2 hours later there was a huge crash...i knew as soon as i heard it start cracking..which is saying something because it's been non stop cracking, breaking, and crashing since 11pm or so. The ironic thing is a friend of mine was supposed to cut a few of these trees back this winter out of fear of this very thing. Figures :arrowhead:

The temp never got above 32 here once it dropped below it yesterday afternoon during the entire length of time precip was falling.  It stayed around 30.4 to 31.1 most of the night.  Now It's up to 31.9/32.0 with drizzle/freezing drizzle.

btw..radar indicates probably 1 to 1.5 inches fell as freezing rain. everything out there is froze up so not sure how much really fell. I will be lucky if the power doesn't go back out though with how many branches that are still breaking.

edit to add...the sun can't come up soon enough so some of this can start melting. Some more huge limbs and the tops are on the verge of breaking. They are so bent i'm not sure how they haven't already. Most aren't near the house thank god but these are really tall/huge trees and  man it's scary seeing them bent over so much on top. very worried when the northwest winds pick up. 

thanks man. Yeah i had been watching it all evening and about 11:30 i saw it and i just knew it wouldn't make it..sure enough about 2 hours later there was a huge crash...i knew as soon as i heard it start cracking..which is saying something because it's been non stop cracking, breaking, and crashing since 11pm or so. The ironic thing is a friend of mine was supposed to cut a few of these trees back this winter out of fear of this very thing. Figures :arrowhead:

The temp never got above 32 here once it dropped below it yesterday afternoon during the entire length of time precip was falling.  It stayed around 30.4 to 31.1 most of the night.  Now It's up to 31.9/32.0 with drizzle/freezing drizzle.

btw..radar indicates probably 1 to 1.5 inches fell as freezing rain. everything out there is froze up so not sure how much really fell. I will be lucky if the power doesn't go back out though with how many branches that are still breaking.

edit to add...the sun can't come up soon enough so some of this can start melting. Some more huge limbs and the tops are on the verge of breaking. They are so bent i'm not sure how they haven't already. Most aren't near the house thank god but these are really tall/huge trees and  man it's scary seeing them bent over so much on top. very worried when the northwest winds pick up. 

Just went to clear my truck being I was stuck at work all night and theres two decent size trees along the sidewalk. Felt mighty nervous walking under those branches as they swayed in the wind.

The roads here were slushy as our temp rose to 32 an hour or so ago but now the temp and dewpoint are crashing and it froze up solid now. What should be a 20 minute drive home is likely going to take me close to an hour today. Worst part is I have 3-4 bridges to cross on the way.

Good luck the rest of the day with some melting.

Mostly sleet here, fortunately. Everybody and their brother was predicting a major ice storm for virtually the same areas in NC. Interesting that the expectation wasn't for all sleet.

RGEM nailed this storm once inside 36 hours, HRRR was good inside 10 hours. From the globals GFS was the best with temps and SLP track.

Man, that's scary, glad you're ok.  I got family in Hartwell i havent heard from yet, i assume they got it kinda bad too.

Yeah, indeed. Don't let Brick see that. He hates Fishel.

Not sure why he's defensive, they were pretty clear that if we got more sleet we would get less ZR. Fishel might come across as a wet blanket sometimes, but there's no other local met who's better.

It was pretty much a sleet fest here overnight.  A bit of ZR mixed in at times but I've got a good white blanket of sleet out there.  And it's not going away any time soon.

That warm nose around 800mb came in quick when while the 850 temps were well below freezing.  NAM nailed that part. Only had a short duration of snow at the start.

Fishel is especially defensive about it this morning. :pimp:

http://www.wral.com/sleet-saves-central-nc-from-crippling-ice-storm/14451546/

Maybe he should have came on here and read all the posts saying the models were not cold enough and it would mostly sleet here. But then again he thinks only the professionals should be discussing things.

Fishel is especially defensive about it this morning. :pimp:

http://www.wral.com/sleet-saves-central-nc-from-crippling-ice-storm/14451546/

"We lucked out big time. And if the same situation presents itself in the future, we will handle it exactly the same way."

babu-finger-wag1-1.gif

In all seriousness though what was his team supposed to do?  The down side of not doing this would have almost been devastating.  RAH NWS was honking too.  Could have done w/o the lecture note at the end

Well, just got to work....drove from the NE part of Gwinnett over towards the southern end of Hall County and boy, what a mess.  We still don't have power and according to WSB TV, about 70% of Gainesville Hall County is without power.  There are trees and power lines down EVERYWHERE, and that's after you can see where crews have already cleared a lot of downed trees.  Easily the worst ice storm here in the north metro since '05 I would say. 

- Buck

It was pretty much a sleet fest here overnight. A bit of ZR mixed in at times but I've got a good white blanket of sleet out there. And it's not going away any time soon.

That warm nose around 800mb came in quick when while the 850 temps were well below freezing. NAM nailed that part. Only had a short duration of snow at the start.

The soundings here honestly didn't support sleet after 0z yet it sleeted til almost 1AM. Did every single model blow the forecast that badly?!

Archived