Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Show's basically over here.

Last I measured was a little over 5" but that was at around 9:30.

We'll call it 5.5"

I was able to hang on to all snow until the last hour or so. Not too bad.

Models had precip lasting until 3-4am, but that's usually how these work out. Start earlier, end earlier.

Hope you Carolina/Georgia boys and girls stay safe and keep your power!

Congrats man! Awesome system for you. Pouring sleet here. I'm north of the zr and at 18 degrees. Godspeed to those folks south in the zr.

Some really heavy echos in NE GA right now.  What's it like over there?  Heavy fzrn or ip?

all frz rain - moderate to heavy 0  at least .4" ice? (its bigger than my thumb) it is hard to tell - thats on top of the 1/2" sleet.  its really coming down and trees are creaking and popping. fire departments busy with down lines and power lines on fire.  several poles have snapped in two

I think it's still sleet. Looks like it in the streetlights. I'm probably going to go back out one more time before going to bed. I'm guessing it'll stay sleet for the next hour before becoming ZR (based on RAP). However, we won't have a long period of ZR, so I can't see more than 0.10" or so of ice accretion.

We've been without power for hours now in northern Forsyth county GA. Trees are down everywhere, outside its just non-stop cracking and popping, flashing transformers. EMS is asking folks to stay off the roads due to downed trees and power lines. We just never had the warm up they kept saying would happen, but we weren't really in the area they thought was going to have a bad ice storm danger either. Unfortunately we're about to lose our big river birch in the front yard. No school for the kids tomorrow.

Im worried about the fish and turtles in my aquarium too!

We've been without power for hours now in northern Forsyth county GA. Trees are down everywhere, outside its just non-stop cracking and popping, flashing transformers. EMS is asking folks to stay off the roads due to downed trees and power lines. We just never had the warm up they kept saying would happen, but we weren't really in the area they thought was going to have a bad ice storm danger either. Unfortunately we're about to lose our big river birch in the front yard. No school for the kids tomorrow.

Im worried about the fish and turtles in my aquarium too!

almost over i have 5 trees down here but do have to say buford power lit us back up aftet 3 hours sit flickers once in awhile. this is one to remember

How so? Are they easy to drive on, or do they actually look clear? My parking lot is certainly completely white, and that's even with a few cars having driven through it.

Definitely white coated, but not really that slippery feeling. Didn't try to drive on it, just  gut feeling. But if you look at WRAL's traffic cameras, cars are doing a good clip on I85.

We're about to lose this tree due to heavy ice, it doesn't normally split in the middle like that.

Hopefully it will make it. I have some river birches - can't see what their condition is. Last big one here in 05 took part of one of them down. The tree survived and came back well.

Archived