• Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE

ALABAMA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY CLANTON ALABAMA

RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL

948 PM CST MON FEB 16 2015

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE

INDIVIDUAL ALABAMA COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCIES ACROSS

CENTRAL ALABAMA INCLUDING...MARION...WINSTON...LAMAR...FAYETTE...

WALKER...PICKENS...TUSCALOOSA...SUMTER...GREENE...HALE...PERRY...

BIBB...SHELBY...JEFFERSON...TALLADEGA...TALLAPOOSA...CLAY...

RANDOLPH...CALHOUN...CLEBURNE...CHEROKEE...ETOWAH...BLOUNT...AND

ST. CLAIR COUNTIES.

NUMEROUS ROADWAYS...BOTH MAJOR THOROUGHFARES AND LESSER TRAVELED

ROADWAYS...MAY BECOME HAZARDOUS OVERNIGHT AND IN SOME CASES

IMPASSIBLE. THESE CONDITIONS MAY PERSIST THROUGH THE LATE MORNING

HOURS ON TUESDAY. THESE COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCIES

REQUEST THAT TRAVEL BE LIMITED TO EMERGENCIES ONLY FOR YOUR SAFETY

AND THE SAFETY OF FIRST RESPONDERS.

.FFC may need to issue one too but that won't happen.

I don't now how much liquid I have gotten since my weather station is froze up... but it's been precipitating at least moderately here ever since 2:30... I would guess we're way over 1 inch of liquid at this point, maybe 1.5 inches?? Currently 31.2 with moderate to at times heavy freezing rain.. pine tree's are really starting to lean.

This one is just about over here in Dahlonega.  The wedge overperformed...surprise surprise.  We never broke freezing once the precip moved in.  Had a little sleet on the front end and then steady freezing rain.  That is until about 430pm when colder air aloft worked in and turned everything into a sleet fest with mixed in snow flakes.  Then it all turned back to freezing rain by 7pm or so.  The sleet fest put the nail in the coffin for road conditions across my area.

So we ended up with freezing rain then sleet fest then freezing rain on top.

Totals were about 1/2" of freezing rain on trees and such and 1/2" of sleet accumulation everywhere.  And I managed to keep my power somehow when many in my area are without.  Nice!

Maybe more sleet, less ice??? One can hope...

AS OF 1050 PM MONDAY......CONDITIONS DETERIORATING ACROSS CENTRAL NC WITH WIDESPREAD HAZARDOUS TRAVEL AND NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES LIKELY......WINTER STORM WARNINGS AND WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAIN IN EFFECT...HAVE UPGRADED THE FAR SE COUNTIES TO A WARNING AS THE NORTHERN SECTIONS OF THESE COUNTIES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO MEET OR EXCEED A QUARTER OF AN INCH ICE ACCRUAL. TEMPS IN THIS REGION HOLDING IN THE UPPER 20S AND WILL LIKELY REMAIN AT OR BELOW 30 DEGREES...ESPECIALLY NORTH OF A CLINTON-FAYETTEVILLE-LAURINBURG LINE. AREA SOUNDINGS AND LATEST HRRR SOUNDING DATA STILL DEPICT A DECENT COLD NOSE -8 TO -10 DEGREES C WITH AN EQUALLY IMPRESSIVE WARM NOSEOF 7 DEGREES C NEAR FAYETTEVILLE. STILL APPEARS THAT BULK OF PRECIP WILL BE FREEZING RAIN OR A MIXTURE OF SLEET/FREEZING RAIN (DEPENDENT ON PRECIP INTENSITY). THE LONGER THE PRECIP REMAINS MIXED...THE LESS ICE ACCRETION WILL OCCUR BUT STILL ENOUGH TO CREATE DANGEROUS ICE ACCRUAL ON POWERLINES AND TREES. IF PRECIP WERE TO GO MORE TOWARD ALL SLEET...SLEET ACCUMULATION OF AN INCH OR LITTLE MORE WILL OCCUR AND ICE ACCRUAL WILL BE SEVERELY LIMITED.WILL MAINTAIN WARNING ELSEWHERE BUT HAVE LOWERED "MAXIMUM" ICE ACCRUAL BELOW A HALF INCH.  -WSS

Greenwood over to Athens, GA now under winter storm warning.

Took them long enough.

What a joke. Bring back the atari version, eta. And to think it's supose to be the best at sniffing out wedges.

seriously. by far the worst bust i've seen the nam do in winter. right up there with any busts the old eta had back in the day.

Now that's the ultimate embarrassing performance, hours late. Wonder what NWS has been doing all this time? So much for lessons supposedly learned from last year..

I've been wondering too. Absolutely absurd it took them this long. And it's not like they didn't have info it was happening. FFC is a lot better than they used to be but i have no idea wtf they were doing tonight.

just had another large limb come down in the yard. ugh..going to be a mess to clean up tomorrow.

Haha nice downeast,... I bet if I was still up there going to ECU it would be all ZR right now. Currently 29/26 and ZR; i'll never underestimate a CAD again, really thought being so close to the coast WAA would easily overcome the cold like it normally does here.

Well to be fair this was no ordinary wedge temps in the mid 20's with sub zero DP's for days before the event don't come along very often....

Haha nice downeast,... I bet if I was still up there going to ECU it would be all ZR right now. Currently 29/26 and ZR; i'll never underestimate a CAD again, really thought being so close to the coast WAA would easily overcome the cold like it normally does here.

Well have had good sleet for 30 minutes at least now. Everything is covered white. Must be some snow mixed in. Everything is freezing. I don't plan on having class tmrw HAAH

Show's basically over here.

Last I measured was a little over 5" but that was at around 9:30.

We'll call it 5.5"

I was able to hang on to all snow until the last hour or so. Not too bad.

Models had precip lasting until 3-4am, but that's usually how these work out. Start earlier, end earlier.

Hope you Carolina/Georgia boys and girls stay safe and keep your power!

Archived