Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just walked to a bar in plaza midwood (CLT)..pissing rain, some sidewalks and curbs icing up. Streets seem to be 'ok'...being extra cautious walking beside a realatively heavily trafficked road. Gonna be bad tomorrow.

Just wanted a decent warm dinner/drink before the lights go out.

Interesting - been a steady moderate FZRN in Northlake Charlotte (temp at 26-27 degrees) for past 2 hours.

Yea it looks that way. Woudnl't be surprised to see some periods of pure sleet still mix in.

The last time I saw this was in like the mid 90's back in Hickory. Crazy stuff bro. 

I bet..that's insane for the southeast. 

It's officially gotten bad here. I heard what i thought was thunder but instead I just had a medium sized live oak tree limb crash on my house and the limps of the tree itself is nearly touching the ground which is a first. I know they have grown over the years but damn. Cedar trees look pitiful.  Between that and the cedar trees, part of my driveway is blocked off now.

Easily 0.25 to 0.35 ice accumulation.. Still no warnings here or advisories or warnings just south of here in equally hard hit areas. I will be very lucky if i keep power tonight.

Wilde is somewhat right.. Based on the heavy rates coming, if it's not at least somewhat sleet temps will spike from latent heat release.

But the thing is... latent heat release at the surface due to freezing precipitation is offset by the continued advection of northeasterly flow from VA and northward. The airmass located north of you guys is arctic in nature and should have no problem locking in 20-25F temps across raleigh and points northward.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_2d_flt.php

But the thing is... latent heat release at the surface due to freezing precipitation is offset by the continued advection of northeasterly flow from VA and northward. The airmass located north of you guys is arctic in nature and should have no problem locking in 20-25F temps across raleigh and points northward.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_2d_flt.php

Thanks Phil! I'm I didn't know how strong the CAA was

I bet..that's insane for the southeast.

It's officially gotten bad here. I heard what i thought was thunder but instead I just had a medium sized live oak tree limb crash on my house and the limps of the tree itself is nearly touching the ground which is a first. I know they have grown over the years but damn. Cedar trees look pitiful. Between that and the cedar trees, part of my driveway is blocked off now.

Easily 0.25 to 0.35 ice accumulation.. Still no warnings here or advisories or warnings just south of here in equally hard hit areas. I will be very lucky if i keep power tonight.

Well, there goes our power.....a lot of NE Gwinnett is now out of power. This sucks!

Welp...It's like the 4th of July here. Constant booms of transformers and cracks of trees. I thinks a sub station near by got hit. A series of bright green flashes on the western horizion followed by a couple brownouts. Just heard a couple booms and giant buzz sound. Somehow we still have power but canle and internet is down.

Archived