Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing and covering the road at 70 and TW Alexander in Durham / RALEIGH.

That's a dangerous intersection even when it's sunny and dry....be safe, people. 

Wrecks all over Triad metro ... 40 west at a standstill at 68/GSO airport exit ... glad I am home ;)

Durham too...there's a firestation maybe 1/2 mile from me and already seen / heard many firetrucks.

Anyway, steady moderate snow now. 

Given how warm the mid levels are and how much waa there is, it really is surprising to hear of sleet being reported that far south.

i have a good coating of glaze now on everything. Temp is fluctuating between 30.4 and 30.7 so..which is probably where i'll bottom out

I'm shocked as well. Maybe it's not gonna warm like they expected.

70 and sunny here waiting on my rain. We can both enjoy our rain and power and patiently wait for our snow that's coming in the next 10 days.

I don't know MetalMan, if that cad surge keeps coming it might get here in a few days, and I'll be in sleet too, lol.  As long as it's taken the rain to get here, it might be tomorrow night and then it'll be cold enough for sure :)  I don't mind all the snow reports, but the heavy sleet north of Atl. is making me grit my teeth, lol.  T

Thank god for you all! Here's my obs - and if it weren't for all those telling me that temps were dropping FAST with the onset of real precip, I might still be sitting in my cubicle. 

I work right in the middle of downtown Greenville, SC.

7:30 am: 28* on my drive into work this morning according to my car. Some clouds. 

9:30am: 36*

12:45: 36* flurries.  This lasted a good 45 min.  

2:30: 36* light drizzle - an occasional small ice pellet.

3:45: Husband called and said I'd better leave the office. Ice covering his car and wind shield freezing as he drove home. I argued that it was fine downtown at 36*. He assured me I was wrong. (He was coming from Greer, SC)

3:50: I log on here to see what y'all are saying and hear about how temps were dropping QUICKLY as precip came in. So I left work. 

4:00: Walk out to the parking lot and all cars, including mine, covered in ice with icicles dropping from them all. WTH???!?!?? It was 36* all day pretty much. It was now back to 28*F.

I'm home now, but y'all really helped me out with this storm. I appreciate the obs from those saying how fast the temps dropped. I had been under the impression we wouldn't see much more than rain since the temp was steady at 36* all day. 

Very interesting storm so far!

Just came back from a drive. Ran out to pick up bar oil and extra chain...and of course beer.  Drove around the intersection of 306 & 369 (for those in the Cumming area). Roads are wet but clear. Almost all of the trees have a glaze of ice. Power lines off of 369 have small icicles hanging. Still showing a temp of 30.9F. 

Looking at the radar, is it me or is seems the affected area is increasing???

Exactly here...thought it was over once the rain started but boy was I wrong!

me too lol.  the deck is completely covered and white now - amazing. i was worried about the frz rain changing to a cold rain didnt think about it changing to sleet haha. although unlike moto (i am jealous) i havent seen any flakes. just a lot of sleet

Just came back from a drive. Ran out to pick up bar oil and extra chain...and of course beer.  Drove around the intersection of 306 & 369 (for those in the Cumming area). Roads are wet but clear. Almost all of the trees have a glaze of ice. Power lines off of 369 have small icicles hanging. Still showing a temp of 30.9F. 

i am not qualified to answer that, ha, but once the frz rain started i didnt expect sleet.  it appears that things are cooling off, esp with the freezing mark going sw of gainesville and approaching atl

Wow this thing is really busting on the upside for my backyard. Down to 29.3 here with heavy sleet falling. The ground is turning white and everything is frozen outside. Judging by radar we are gonna get pummelled with about an inch of liquid over the next 4 or 5 hours. Awesome!!! :)

Just came back from a drive. Ran out to pick up bar oil and extra chain...and of course beer. Drove around the intersection of 306 & 369 (for those in the Cumming area). Roads are wet but clear. Almost all of the trees have a glaze of ice. Power lines off of 369 have small icicles hanging. Still showing a temp of 30.9F.

it is, amazingly it is expanding sw.

You on the South side? I am up between Highway 53 & 369.

Roof is getting a thin glaze of ice now. Shrubs in the front yard are now getting ice at ground level. The Leyland Cyprus on both side are getting coated as well.

Yeah just got home from work in Sandy Springs and the car was coated with ice. I'm on the southern end of Forsyth and there is pretty good glazing on trees and power lines already.

Archived