SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks folks. Range is tightening. Euro is wettest and furthest north with expanse right now.

Yes. It seems like the goal posts of snow accumulation/qpf are tightening. People freaking out over the little pertubations to the south or north. The model will wobble at this juncture. It should be expected. The GFS has 3" up to Allentown for goodness sakes. I think everyone from 40N down to southern MD will be fine with this storm. 

Any sense of what's causing that little nose of diminished totals in central VA? Is that a fluke, or something worth concerning oneself with? Not trying to weenie out over it, but just curious.

When it's showing up on multiple models its a concern. But it does appear like a precip max is appearing over the bay vs. points 50 mi or so west.

Today's trend has actually been south a bit, even with the 12z Euro. I am going to assert that in N MD folks shouldn't be pessimistic about the whole sitaution, but it is not 100% with regards to the trends today and that cutoff Baltimore N and W. 

Only 18Z suite was a slight blip

Those are only 10:1 ratios...

I know.  If you compare with 12z with 10:1 ratios, you'll see that it's a bit drier.  This is more obvious on the total qpf map, but Tropical Tidbits has lower color resolution for that map.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2015021512&fh=48&xpos=0&ypos=227

Yes. It seems like the goal posts of snow accumulation/qpf are tightening. People freaking out over the little pertubations to the south or north. The model will wobble at this juncture. It should be expected. The GFS has 3" up to Allentown for goodness sakes. I think everyone from 40N down to southern MD will be fine with this storm.

I would think there will be a pretty sharp northern cutoff given the relatively weak low and plentiful cold/dry air. But if I had to bet one way or another in closing it would be north. And that the Euro is closer in qpf.

I would think there will be a pretty sharp northern cutoff given the relatively weak low and plentiful cold/dry air. But if I had to bet one way or another in closing it would be north. And that the Euro is closer in qpf.

That also would be my guess though I must admit I haven't looked as closely as normal because of Comcast problems.

GFS is pretty dry. .5" at DCA with .3" at BWI. .2" M/D line south to Baltimore.

I should add that 5" of snow at DCA isn't bad, it's actually really good. But it's "dry" compared to 12z and EURO.

Even with conservative ratios that is over 7". Either way DC is locked into a very good storm. It is Baltimore and north that has to sweat this a bit if they want the larger totals.

I think people are confusing the difference between a sharp cutoff of the heavier precip versus a sharp cutoff of all the precip. Northern Md is not on the fringe of the precip field. Yes, north of Baltimore qpf is considerably however nobody in the northern portion of the forum is in danger of getting shut out. Just about all the models bring accumulating snow well up into PA.

I think people are confusing the difference between a sharp cutoff of the heavier precip versus a sharp cutoff of all the precip. Northern Md is not on the fringe of the precip field. Yes, north of Baltimore qpf is considerably however nobody in the northern portion of the forum is in danger of getting shut out. Just about all the models bring accumulating snow well up into PA.

Yes and historically when we see such an expanse of precip the heavier bands end up north. The real fringe screw jobs are when DC itself is in the northern edge. Not the case here. Watch PHL; I bet they still end up getting nailed in the end.

I am liking these max snow totals given out by NWS...Looks like Maxs may be based of of SREF

Useless products. I have a 24% chance of 0". No chance, zero, of 0.1-2", and a 19% chance of 8-12". I have a math degree and couldn't explain those numbers if I had a year to work on it. I don't know why this stuff is posted.

I agree Ian. I'm located up in PA for this one and I'll tell you it's amazing how often in these setups people to my north still manage to walk away with more than what I get on this type of setup. Pretty remarkable. If I had to dictate a jackpot area, I like the area from Columbia south to Charles County and to the east onto the eastern shore. That looks to be the area of best frontogentic forcing for the region that can maximize on qpf and lift to acquire the best ratios. I think somewhere will come away with ~12" somewhere in that area. Pretty good storm for you guys down there. Enjoy  :)

Globals tend to broadbrush the edge though. Good chance NAM solution is somewhat wrong but it had a much sharper north edge.

Archived