• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

Tough to say...confidence is not great. Need 50% confidence to hoist a watch. Given the track record of guidance and the pattern I'm not sure if we have it. I'm off til the Monday night shift... 10p-6a.

If this is off topics, please move. How do you quantify model confidence? I realize that with this storm, models were all over the place until yesterday. That in it self leads to "low" confidence. But how does NWS convert that into, for example, 30% confidence as opposed to the needed 50% thresh hold?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From DT's facebook page. I think he is in self denial that he might mix.

ETA: Plus the stuff about Boston only getting 4" of snow, is total and utter BS.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=BOX

MIDDAY UPDATE SOON... NEW DATA ROLLING IN ... THE WIND AND COLD THIS MORNING IS AN ISSUE... THE NORTH TREND

Before I start posting the new data couple points here. Many have been talking about ..including myself... The persist in north trend weather models all winter long. But ther i's also another trend here which is being overlooked. Take yesterday's New England snowstorm.... 4 days ago it look like boston was going to get over 12 inches of snow then 2 days ot was 8-12 Inches. Boston ended up with 4" !!! What happened? The big storm formed but it did so further east.
Consider the New England and New York City blizzard in late January... Where New York City was supposed to get 24-30 inches of snow... and ended up with 12. But the 24"+ of snow was only 30 miles away to the east. What happened? The Low formed a little further to the east.

The strong winds and their coldest morning means that the cold air is still being advected or pushed into the area. The actual low pressure area itself isnt that strong.... so this is not in anyway shape or form going to be a raging nor'easter. With the enormous L ow over southeastern Canada - the one that only gave Boston 4" -and the strong winds still over the East Coast ... There is only going to be so much of the north trend with the system.

From DT's facebook page. I think he is in self denial that he might mix.

ETA: Plus the stuff about Boston only getting 4" of snow, is total and utter BS.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=BOX

MIDDAY UPDATE SOON... NEW DATA ROLLING IN ... THE WIND AND COLD THIS MORNING IS AN ISSUE... THE NORTH TREND

Before I start posting the new data couple points here. Many have been talking about ..including myself... The persist in north trend weather models all winter long. But ther i's also another trend here which is being overlooked. Take yesterday's New England snowstorm.... 4 days ago it look like boston was going to get over 12 inches of snow then 2 days ot was 8-12 Inches. Boston ended up with 4" !!! What happened? The big storm formed but it did so further east.

Consider the New England and New York City blizzard in late January... Where New York City was supposed to get 24-30 inches of snow... and ended up with 12. But the 24"+ of snow was only 30 miles away to the east. What happened? The Low formed a little further to the east.

The strong winds and their coldest morning means that the cold air is still being advected or pushed into the area. The actual low pressure area itself isnt that strong.... so this is not in anyway shape or form going to be a raging nor'easter. With the enormous L ow over southeastern Canada - the one that only gave Boston 4" -and the strong winds still over the East Coast ... There is only going to be so much of the north trend with the system.

Sounds like a RIC wish cast per usual with DT

There are 2 ways to look at "north trend". One is slp and the other is expanse of precip shield. I don't think the slp is going to track much further north but 50 miles north would make a sizeable difference in MD just like 50 miles further south will. Strength will determine expanse. 2 storms could take identical tracks and produce different results on the nw side. 

The track as it stands right now is excellent. We won't know the fine details for another 12-24 hours. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned , but TWC has named this storm OCTAVIA LOL

A little off-topic...I've seen your posts every now and then about you service on our roads, which we should all appreciate. I have question for you though. How do you decide when to plow versus salt? I had a plow come through during the end of last night's squall, but never saw the salting. How do you decide what method to use?

Late response but I doubt DCA had 20:1 ratios jan 2010 as well. Automated stations are often low on precip in snow esp if windy. No need to get fancy with ratios.. Expect a little better than 'normal'.

A little off-topic...I've seen your posts every now and then about you service on our roads, which we should all appreciate. I have question for you though. How do you decide when to plow versus salt? I had a plow come through during the end of last night's squall, but never saw the salting. How do you decide what method to use?

I don't want to banter up the storm thread but I am only a private contractor and service some government locations in leesburg. We always plow at 2" until the storm is done, then salt at the end to prevent icing. Only thing I can think of why they didn't treat is the heavy wind or the extreme cold which may not do anything depending on what mixture they are actually using to treat.

Not sure if it's been mentioned , but TWC has named this storm OCTAVIA LOL

Since it will begin tomorrow, which is President's Day, but it won't be of the magnitude of previous President Day storms, I say we give it the President's Day honor, but with the acknowledgement that it is a minor event compared to prior historic storms. Therefore, I suggest PD₃.

Archived