• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Valentine's Day Massacre Obs--A snow job or does it only blow?

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've almost taken out kids, animals, and adults, and likewise the opposite. Piles are huge, roads narrow and traffic awful. I love it, but now you have structural issues to think about too. It's pretty freaking crazy.

. Roads are real narrow now. My neighborhood is down to just enough for 2 cars to pass by. I almost hit a couple people snowblowing today. Had to hit the store for a wiper blade for my wife. It broke cleaning the car today and she's leaving at 3am for Laguardia. I will never say "no mas" to more snow. Things just take a bit more time now. The snow is as deep now as I've ever seen. Not enough adjectives to describe it.

I have lived in Boston or its suburbs my entire life (including '78) and cannot remember anything like it.

Given how much has fallen in just over 3 weeks, I doubt that anything like this has occurred since records have been kept in North America. I suspect that this series of storms surpasses the Great Snow of 1717, as Boston has seen almost 8 feet of snow since January 23.

Given how much has fallen in just over 3 weeks, I doubt that anything like this has occurred since records have been kept in North America. I suspect that this series of storms surpasses the Great Snow of 1717, as Boston has seen almost 8 feet of snow since January 23.

Don, in the last week or so the "Great Snow" has come to mind often.

I think it's safe to say that though we (here: you; I am eternal) did not experience it directly, based on the accounts, plus the sheer magnitude of what has occurred here in recent weeks, this winter is in the ranks of the absolutely legendary.

Path to front door

post-6298-0-65575100-1424046372_thumb.jp

most used door

post-6298-0-81827000-1424046389_thumb.jp

view from walk out

post-6298-0-02847700-1424046403_thumb.jp

tractor shed

post-6298-0-41363000-1424046476_thumb.jp

post-6298-0-84748900-1424046495_thumb.jppost-6298-0-94893000-1424046501_thumb.jp

buried pool filter & heater & chain link fence

post-6298-0-21141200-1424046523_thumb.jp

post-6298-0-39990600-1424046540_thumb.jp

neighbor's pool gate.  The lowest point of that curved door is 6 feet.

post-6298-0-80444200-1424046594_thumb.jp

our side yard with buried fence

post-6298-0-66894200-1424046573_thumb.jp

Street view north.  When they finally plowed they got to pavement - which is more than they did after the last storm.

post-6298-0-27414100-1424046618_thumb.jp

Don, in the last week or so the "Great Snow" has come to mind often.

I think it's safe to say that though we (here: you; I am eternal) did not experience it directly, based on the accounts, plus the sheer magnitude of what has occurred here in recent weeks, this winter is in the ranks of the absolutely legendary.

And remarkable after having lost all of December and the first half of January rain freeze rain freeze repeaters... 

That shot from Roxbury is unreal! Every part of Boston is clogged with snow. I was pulling into traffic Friday and got stuck waiting to edge in due to a traffic jam. No mans land...had to pull forward to see around snow banks but folks on the sidewalk were blocked. It's a cluster f*ck getting worse.

For Eastern Massachusetts, there is no question that what has occurred in the last 24 days really has no comparison at least since detailed records were kept. Four major storms plus small events in between with very little melting as well as the cold. Effects on infrastructure are becoming obvious, between mass transit issues, traffic issues due to narrow roads/high snow banks, roof collapses, etc.

Probably do have to go back to 1717. Been reading up on that a bit, of course is a bit unclear how deep the snow really was given how long ago that was.

I own a house on the outskirts of Boston that was built between 1710 and 1720. All I can think of when I shovel out is - has it seen more?

After the last storm:

post-1090-0-01493400-1424048407_thumb.jp

I've almost taken out kids, animals, and adults, and likewise the opposite. Piles are huge, roads narrow and traffic awful. I love it, but now you have structural issues to think about too. It's pretty freaking crazy.

The killer has been no melting at all really anywhere.  I don't know what the answer is, if Tuesday turns into a regionwide deal there are going to be major major problems.

I chose the wrong year to move out of Boston, wow! I am loving all the pictures of many favorite spots around the city, thanks for posting all of them! Truly a once in a lifetime stretch.

How is Jamaica pond looking these days, it was always my favorite spot to check out after big storms.

Archived