• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Valentine's Day Massacre Obs--A snow job or does it only blow?

moneypitmike

About 12" up here at Newfound Lake in Central NH. Temperatures today stayed in the single numbers and as of 5pm is -1F. Winds were blowing mostly in the 30''s all day, my Davis recorded a high gust of 36mph. Lake is obviously frozen and shore roads along the southern side had a ground blizzard going all day. Forget 1/4 mile visabilities on some stretches it was down to 25 feet at times. Here is a short video I took driving along the lake.

That lake gets crazy on NW-NNW wind.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW

note in the article , officers cited a "snow squall". No snow squalls at 245pm today (time of accident) more like from BLowing snow reducing visibility in that area. Wonder if the open "area" to the right ( west) of that south bound lane at exit 27 was really catching a good amount of wind and blowing that drifting snow onto the road producing some slick road conditions

See the ice near the crashed car? I had a friend telling me when they cleared this fluff they exposed under some of the banks that were left haphazard last time. Ice sheets next to travel lanes is a bad combo.

2"

Beats my 1.5", as usual (this year.) I got more from the Jan 3 mixed/mess event, but for the next 11 events on your sig, LEW beat New Sharon every time, and those events totaled 66.5" there (assuming I added right), and 45.9" at my place. Hard to justify complaints, though, with season snowfall now just 2" away from my annual avg, and the almost certain shattering of some monthly cold records this Feb.

Edit: That snow depth map looks like it was posted upside down. Ft. Kent under 12" and lowest in ME/NH, while eastern MA has 4X as much?

Beats my 1.5", as usual (this year.) I got more from the Jan 3 mixed/mess event, but for the next 11 events on your sig, LEW beat New Sharon every time, and those events totaled 66.5" there (assuming I added right), and 45.9" at my place. Hard to justify complaints, though, with season snowfall now just 2" away from my annual avg, and the almost certain shattering of some monthly cold records this Feb.

Edit: That snow depth map looks like it was posted upside down. Ft. Kent under 12" and lowest in ME/NH, while eastern MA has 4X as much?

That map i have found is not very accurate

Those areas don't get as much atlantic influence, Winds are howling, Several gust in the mid 40's and we just cracked 50, 51 mph

I was surprised at even the snow depths just north/west of you on CoCoRAHS were anywhere from 21-27".  That's about the same as VT east of the Spine, but I figured the foothills and western coastal plain spots would've been around 3 feet.  The highest snowpack in the state of Maine was literally on the coastline.  Very rare I'm sure to have the beaches with more snow than the foothill towns.

Archived