joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
This forum is dead!

wxman

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NYC forum consistently drives away mets. Earthlight was maybe the best poster on this entire site, but he finally had enough of all the weenies arguing over 144 hr rain/snow lines and he left. That place is a complete mess. Though this forum isn't very busy and I wish there were more activity, there's a solid group of poster IMO and not much bickering.

I was wondering what happened to him, bummer.

While I technically don't live in the Philly metro area full-time anymore, it's still my "home" and a merger, IMHO, doesn't seem necessary.  NYC and Philly have fairly distinct climates, as well.  We discussed this not long ago when a bunch of guys left to create phillywx.com.  I don't subscribe to all the drama, but I do agree this place would be a lot more active if all those guys were still around in here.

That said, I think even if the forum is quiet, that's not enough reason to merge with other regions.  Everyone is free to read and post in any other region if they're so inclined.  I mainly post over in the PIT region because it makes the most sense for me now, but I still come here just as much (almost entirely in a lurking capacity), and then the MA forums from time to time.  I haven't spent any time in the NYC subforum so I can't really comment on it.

I think there are great posters in here and I've never really seen much in the way of nonsense that seems rampant in the "bigger" subforums.  Perhaps that's where the smaller numbers are a good thing.  Also, you can't discount how quiet this winter has been for the area.  It has been the same out my way; our biggest event was 2" on January 6th.  At this point in the winter, most people are skeptical and following long-range threats has generally been an exercise in futility.

It's not bugging me so much.  I made a humble suggestion and was attacked by a bunch of insecure weenies. 

humble remarks? I'm sorry, I've been trying to hold back and not say anything to you despite your repeated attempts at trolling ITT but reading through, it's pretty clear that you don't give a damn about this board and just wanted to stir the pot. consensus does not want to merge with the nyc forum and you continue to take pot shots at the group because we don't agree. if you think we are a joke then leave, we don't want you, this is a drama free board and it's pretty clear that you are only looking for that. The NY forum seems right up your alley.

Having just read through this, somewhat painful, thread...

I do give wxman some (perhaps unintentional) credit...

for with "bad" often comes "good" and to that end...

I think he has succesfully "stired the pot" enough for each of us to pause for a moment and creatively think about how we can improve this Philly forum (definitely "short of" a NYC merge, please!).

I like the renewed pbp ideas I've read and thank "Iceman" for volunteering to provide them (as Tombo used to do so well in this forum).

Let's keep it up and also think of ways to get more mets back on board (to add to Ray's and Mitch's etc input)...

I, along with others on here, know a few (notably Larry Cosgrove in my case) and hope we can encourage them to "stop by"!!

humble remarks? I'm sorry, I've been trying to hold back and not say anything to you despite your repeated attempts at trolling ITT but reading through, it's pretty clear that you don't give a damn about this board and just wanted to stir the pot. consensus does not want to merge with the nyc forum and you continue to take pot shots at the group because we don't agree. if you think we are a joke then leave, we don't want you, this is a drama free board and it's pretty clear that you are only looking for that. The NY forum seems right up your alley.

Stir the pot?  I've been on these boards (and Eastern before that and Wright before that) for as long or longer than anyone.  While on American I have 313 posts all time.  Yet guys like you (a non-met with nothing to add here but an opinion) has 7200 posts along with some other similar guy with 8000 posts, and yet you think I'm a "troll" looking to cause trouble?  Yes, some careful reflection is in order. PHL and its surroundings is one of the most populous places on earth, yet look at this forum.  If you think it's good that is only your idiosyncratic view.  Many of the best posters have left, some to start different forums.  And where are all the mets?  I spent one of my very few posts on trying to improve this place.  Perhaps I stepped over the line in the heat of this thread, but only in response to unprovoked attacks.  Why the overlords think it's so important to have this separate board is beyond me.  I remember a time before ANY regional subforums, a better time and place IMO.  Now you have folks screaming for a Long Island forum.  Face it, weenism is what caused the split with NYC, not unique climate.  Our area is no different climate-wise (NYC to PHL) than New England or the mid-Atlantic.  As long as the mods let that same group define the forum, things are unlikely to improve.  And, it's not just a quiet winter around here that makes this forum what it is, and is not. 

Stir the pot?  I've been on these boards (and Eastern before that and Wright before that) for as long or longer than anyone.  While on American I have 313 posts all time.  Yet guys like you (a non-met with nothing to add here but an opinion) has 7200 posts along with some other similar guy with 8000 posts, and yet you think I'm a "troll" looking to cause trouble?  Yes, some careful reflection is in order. PHL and its surroundings is one of the most populous places on earth, yet look at this forum.  If you think it's good that is only your idiosyncratic view.  Many of the best posters have left, some to start different forums.  And where are all the mets?  I spent one of my very few posts on trying to improve this place.  Perhaps I stepped over the line in the heat of this thread, but only in response to unprovoked attacks.  Why the overlords think it's so important to have this separate board is beyond me.  I remember a time before ANY regional subforums, a better time and place IMO.  Now you have folks screaming for a Long Island forum.  Face it, weenism is what caused the split with NYC, not unique climate.  Our area is no different climate-wise (NYC to PHL) than New England or the mid-Atlantic.  As long as the mods let that same group define the forum, things are unlikely to improve.  And, it's not just a quiet winter around here that makes this forum what it is, and is not. 

..continue taking pot shots. BTW, I forgot... what do you contribute to the board besides off topic drama posts during the most active period in winter?  Seriously I want to know what weather enthusiast worries about the activity level of a weather subforum during the busiest pattern so far this winter? Seems to me you're just a drama enthusiast...

During bigger events, I usually read the Central PA forum and this forum as I live practically right on the border of Mt Holly's and State College's CWA, plus I'm originally from Bethlehem, so I can identify with the region, the posters, and the climate. That being said, I will go to both the Mid Atlantic and NYC forums for more information when larger events are possible.

Of those four forums, NYC is perhaps the most unreadable. While there are some good, knowlegable people in there, the majority of the time the place seems like a bunch of kids playing in Romper Room. Lots of bickering (and at times true misinformation).

I, like many others, are glad that Randy has spoken on the issue, and that the forums will not be merged. It is, and always was a stupid idea, as, beyond the free-for-all that takes place over there, the weather climate is indeed different for the two locations.

Please identify the 4 or 5, there's M.Gaines and Ray.  Who else?  For some reason the other mets that post hear don't like to talk about current weather and forecasts... at least not in the same way as NY, DC and NE.

Kpantz, Hurricane10nbc (Glenn) - check out the Jan 27th storm thread. When things get hot this forum lights up with pertinent information. I read a lot of threads and post OBS when necessary to Philly. And yes thanks to Ray and M. Gaines for their consistent insights.

Insecure weenies? Now I know you're trolling. Nobody's attacked you until you started taking shots at people because nobody wants what you want. Nothing to see here, move on everybody.

You didn't attack me per se, but others did, re-read the thread,  As to my reference to your number of posts, as I said, no offense was intended...but you have to admit there was some irony in your argument that you like this forum as is because you could read just a few posts....8000 posts is a lot of posts, but I have no problem with it. The reason why I raised this issue now is because some in the NYC forum now want their own Long Island forum.  Why?  Because for a few storms LI stood to "get more" (at least that's what seems to have inspired the talk IMO).  Yes, it's true that LI arguably has a different climo in specific situations, but their own forum?  It reminds me of why NYC and PHL split, the same thing...NYC was "getting more." Truth is that many if not most posters don't live in NYC or PHL, but in the I-95 corridor between the two places.  It actually is a PIA to keep going between forums, skipping stupid posts (including mine if you like) is way easier.  And, folks might even learn a thing or two from those outside their area...I used to love ORHWXMAN's posts, now I really never see them as I have no reason to venture into a NE specific forum.  All of this is just one man's opinion and in no way is meant to troll or cause trouble.  Us oldtimers will recall intramural fights about  weather people from DC had "the right" to post in a northeast weather forum.  Now we're in a spot where people are fighting over QPF discussions that don't include their own backyard.  

Kpantz, Hurricane10nbc (Glenn) - check out the Jan 27th storm thread. When things get hot this forum lights up with pertinent information. I read a lot of threads and post OBS when necessary to Philly. And yes thanks to Ray and M. Gaines for their consistent insights.

Fair enough, I was in that thread.  But these guys are not in discussing every threat like ORH, Snowgoose, Forky, usedtobe, etc. 

Fair enough, I was in that thread.  But these guys are not in discussing every threat like ORH, Snowgoose, Forky, usedtobe, etc. 

They do give me a lot more credit than I deserve.  Not that I don't appreciate it. 

I prefer to take a more "hands off" approach... stepping in when necessary but otherwise letting you guys enjoy the model run waffles and actual weather.

The problem with merging with ny is the difference in climo. Extreme south and west areas of this sub forum do not share the climo of the extreme north and areas of the nyc sub forum. Especially out east near long Island. Though, the Philly to TTN and even up through ewr and nyc areas do share similar climo. Regardless, combining would never work. But I do miss when it was one giant forum because you got to hear a lot of opinions, but it was up to you to deduce which areas they were referring to.

You didn't attack me per se, but others did, re-read the thread, As to my reference to your number of posts, as I said, no offense was intended...but you have to admit there was some irony in your argument that you like this forum as is because you could read just a few posts....8000 posts is a lot of posts, but I have no problem with it. The reason why I raised this issue now is because some in the NYC forum now want their own Long Island forum. Why? Because for a few storms LI stood to "get more" (at least that's what seems to have inspired the talk IMO). Yes, it's true that LI arguably has a different climo in specific situations, but their own forum? It reminds me of why NYC and PHL split, the same thing...NYC was "getting more." Truth is that many if not most posters don't live in NYC or PHL, but in the I-95 corridor between the two places. It actually is a PIA to keep going between forums, skipping stupid posts (including mine if you like) is way easier. And, folks might even learn a thing or two from those outside their area...I used to love ORHWXMAN's posts, now I really never see them as I have no reason to venture into a NE specific forum. All of this is just one man's opinion and in no way is meant to troll or cause trouble. Us oldtimers will recall intramural fights about weather people from DC had "the right" to post in a northeast weather forum. Now we're in a spot where people are fighting over QPF discussions that don't include their own backyard.

you may be close to some of the more prolific posters if we measured by word count rather than number of posts...post away if you want but it is pretty clear this issue is dead...I look forward to your next dissertation...(ok, not really)...

They do give me a lot more credit than I deserve.  Not that I don't appreciate it. 

I prefer to take a more "hands off" approach... stepping in when necessary but otherwise letting you guys enjoy the model run waffles and actual weather.

Everyone has their own style and approach, and you know we appreciate yours.  My point is there was a time when all of the redtaggers were in one spot....I probably now agree on some regional breakdown (NE and DC should probably be separate), but the total distance between NYC and PHL is 95 miles, at most!  

you may be close to some of the more prolific posters if we measured by word count rather than number of posts...post away if you want but it is pretty clear this issue is dead...I look forward to your next dissertation...(ok, not really)...

Yes, probably dead...but there is no meteorological reason for the split.  This forum has posters from the Poconos as well as Cape May.  Ask yourself, why is this group different from all the rest.  (Short enough for you?)

Archived