• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

Anyone wanna tell me what's up with this band?
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/centgrtlakes_loop.php

The mesoscale models keep initializing with it, including the HRRR, and then killing it off within an hour or two. Instead, it has kept on chugging along, and in fact in the latest frames it's ostensibly expanding.

With the lower half of the troposphere over the region in the dendritic growth range, if that band survives to Central PA, couldn't that be a potentially narrow band of decent (3-6") accumulations?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone wanna tell me what's up with this band?

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/centgrtlakes_loop.php

The mesoscale models keep initializing with it, including the HRRR, and then killing it off within an hour or two. Instead, it has kept on chugging along, and in fact in the latest frames it's ostensibly expanding.

With the lower half of the troposphere over the region in the dendritic growth range, if that band survives to Central PA, couldn't that be a potentially narrow band of decent (3-6") accumulations?

There was quite the discussion in the Mid Atlantic obs thread about the HRRR today.  A met who I think works with NCEP (WPC?) said they physics used to build the HRRR isn't very effective in really cold storms.  If I can find the exact post I will link it back here, but I would argue at this point the HRRR precip output should not be trusted.  Even the Canada Dry model is not handling this well.

Oh jeeze, that one.  It's a known bug in Arcgis 10.x

Only two things that worked for me were :

1.)  Uninstall Avast and install AVG anti-virus (if you have Avast)

2.)  Reinstall ArcGIS 10.x and Right click -> Run As Administrator.

Lol just what I wanted to hear, I'm glad I completed the coursework for my graduate certificate program in GIS before this happened.  Yea that's what I gathered from trying to troubleshoot it and trying to find solutions. I've screwed around with Internet Explorer settings to no avail. Funny you mentioned Avast...cuz that's one of the programs I downloaded along with Malwarebytes to clean my laptop up and I never had a single problem til after I did that. I saw something about Avast causing the problem and already uninstalled both and that didn't do anything. Think I'm going to try the one method that I saw ESRI offered (replacing the MdDlgContent and MdDlgHelp files) before attempting to do a complete reinstall. 

1700 utc is actually Noon eastern time.

11F and a couple flurries starting to fall..shouldn't be much wasted of what's going to fall here. Precip was indicated overhead with just the latest scan. The small yellow cross just southwest of Bellwood is my exact location (radar beam height is 1722ft over my head).

post-1507-0-91658700-1424130457_thumb.pn

Archived