• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7" in L'pool... Congrats RochesterDave!!

Pssst...... I still really like the potential for intense LES for CNY later this week!

That would be awesome! Not sure where I'm putting more snow but bring it anyway! I've snowblowed in worse conditions before, mostly done now. This ain't sh*t. ;)

Update, measurements indicate average snow depth is still about 20". My best estimate of total snowfall for this event is 6"...based on 4" measured before taking the snow depth yesterday, and the snow rates i observed yesterday afternoon and last night. Not going to clear the driveway until the wind calms down a bit, but fortunately there really isn't all that much to clear this time.

And Leelee, I think many of us are scanning the long ranges hoping for a break from the cold. Looks like the next arctic blast this week could be as cold as this one, but at least the GFS has backed off the idea of another outbreak near day 10.

7" in L'pool... Congrats RochesterDave!!

Pssst...... I still really like the potential for intense LES for CNY later this week!

Same hear. Lots of moisture, little shear and big differentials. It's early but winds look good for a single, intense band somewhere near the Onondaga/Oswego County line. Could be one to two feet????

Onondaga/ Oswego county line? We don't need anymore snow down here lol. It's been snowing here all day and coldddddd as hell. This cold is getting crazy.

We've had snow here but we're further from the lake so it's lighter, very fine dendrites...hard to differentiate between the blowing snow and actual snow falling.

Same hear. Lots of moisture, little shear and big differentials. It's early but winds look good for a single, intense band somewhere near the Onondaga/Oswego County line. Could be one to two feet????

Never ever thought I'd say this but we Don't need it, lol, be careful what you wish for right.  I have a 3 bdrm ranch on 3 acres of open land and as I look out my window, the landscape has been transformed into large rolling waves of wind blown snow, lol.  The depth has completely engulfed our propane tank, so its basically lost and hope Johnstons can find it!  My staked landmarks are completely gone for snowmobilers, lol, OH Well, hope its deep enough.  Its not like its even close to being over for at least the next 2 weeks and that to me is just insane!

In my 13 years living up here this has got to be the longest, coldest and snowiest stretch of weather I have ever experienced/witnessed up here, and I can actually say, in my life, as I am from the borough of Staten Island so to me this is just incredible.  I can't imagine how people in Barrow and Fairbanks do it ,lol, but the cold is definitely not for me but as far as snow, bring it on!!

Just happened to look at my Davis Weather Station and it looks like it took a beating as the wind vane is gone, lost, probably easy to replace so no biggie but now no wind direction and that's NOT good so I got to get on it.  Probably just wait till the aftermath of our last month or so of Our beloved season to be over and then tackle whatever needs to be done!!

Not much going on here just a few miles to your south....these very low topped bands are narrow!!

yeah you can barely make out the precip on WSYR9 radar although there looks like a decent band has been over Auburn area for a while now.  KTYX is only picking up snow over No. Oswego County and KBGM seems to be showing snow south of syracuse.   Wed night, Thurs will hopefully materialize.  Looks like synoptic systems will be south for a week or so, other than clipper type systems.

It's been snowing here all afternoon but it's picked up in intensity and flake size has increased in the last hour. I got home from a late lunch around 3:30 and my car was bare. Now looking out the window it's snow covered again. Visibility has to be less than a mile.

Same here....i haven't bothered to measure but at least 1/2-1"...no great shakes but its at least keeping my temp at 2F...KTYX radar starting to show some signs of returns in So. Oswego county which matches the intensity pickup here over the past couple of hours.  Its frigging arctic out there with the wind.

Just summed up my CoCoRaHS data...i'm at 96.2" for the season as of this morning.  Won't hit 100 tonight in all likelihood but certainly by end of week...

The discussion above about KBUF 100" winters got me to look back at my data.  Unfortunately, the first 3 years of data since i've been here is lost due to a harddrive crash.   NWS BGM used to keep that data but never transferred it to CoCoRaHS.  I may email them and see if anyone can dredge up old records.  As I recall they were some decent winters.  I am usually about 12" higher than Hancock Field, which the official SYR reporting station, so i'll list those instead for my missing data.

My data:

2004/05  136.2 - KSYR

2005/06  124.6 - KSYR

2006/07  140.2 - KSYR

2007/08  131.8

2008/09  154.5

2009/10  114.2

2010/11    43.8

2012/13  121.3

2013/14  143.2

2014/15    96.2*  (40.3" in Feb)

Avg 2007-2014:  126.7

I can definitely attest to the not so signification but definite up tick in snowfall the past half hour and while looking at the visible sat I can see an impulse coming in from the NE which is driving not 1 but 2 bands south across Oswego Couty.  Don't know if the bigger of the two makes it here but the first is here and its definitely snowing harder than what it was before!!

Temp under avatar says 0 while my Davis says 2.2 so somethings off.

well first band came through now we're between bands so I'd expect it gets a bit harder down your way Doji and it might just park itself there for a while, who knows??  Don't think the second one makes it here so we'll remain between both bands and thats fine with me, lol!

I have been between 2 and 3 degrees most of the day with the snowfall, i suspect that's what's keeping us so balmy. ;)  Vis is about 1/4-3/8 mile but dendrite size is smallish so while its accumulating, it'll probably only add up to an inch or so at at this rate.  

That band over central Oswego County looks more impressive on KTYX radar than Live Doppler 9. It's moving steadily southward so we'll see how much bite it has if and when it gets here.

never got here to me, lol, maybe you cause your a bit to my N&E so you may be experiencing something right now as we're pretty much clear here and hope to stay this way as I'm looking for some records around here but with these pesky Lake clouds we'll stay in the single digits above I think instead of teens below if it were to stay clear, but I doubt it!!  

Central Park, Trenton as well as Philly all have a chances at setting all time low records established in 1888! if it happens that will be remarkable especially considering the urban development since then so it would be even more of a feat to achieve but it may actually be done!

Archived