Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not updated entirely yet, but synopsis from BOX at 3:47 seems pretty similar (and OT, but slight change re midweek storm)

A POWERFUL AND VERY DANGEROUS OFFSHORE STORM DEVELOPS TONIGHT

THROUGH SUNDAY WITH A PERIOD OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR COASTAL

COMMUNITIES SUNDAY MORNING. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINDS WITH

HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS FOR THE OUTER-CAPE AND NANTUCKET.

EXCEPTIONALLY COLD AIR...THE COLDEST OF THE SEASON...FOLLOWS LATE

SUNDAY INTO TUESDAY MORNING. ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED BY

MIDWEEK FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER SURGE OF BITTER COLD.

Switching to observation.  Snow already coming down pretty good here in southern NH.

Dinner at 6:00 literally on the beach.  

OT but wanted to thank you all for the amazing discussions these past days.  Humbling to see so much expertise still seemingly baffled by this one right up to and including when the snow starts to fall.

This storm really trying to make it very clear that despite all our advances in meteorology and model upgrades and everything else, weather will weather. 

Interested to see how the NWS handles this in the update coming out in a bit.

If we had this same setup back in the 1960's with the primitive modeling we had then, I wonder what they would have been forecasting?

wut,apparently you think I am a Jp ho,said all along and will tell you again, this storm ain't about big snow and if he thinks 1-3 good for him. He didn't feel the last 18 inches of snow you got either,let's not overlook that or the fact RGEM totally missed wrap around Blizzard 1, he said blizzard warnings should come down post haste, let's see how that plays out.

He actually nailed the last event.

He was the one steadfastly asserting that is what coming se, which it did.

That Box MAP is better.

The HRRR is a toaster bath at 20z, compare the 10h to the 15z 15..yes I know long but it shows clearly what the differences were between the steroidal GFS and now the better runs.   That inverted trough doesn't become a main low so to speak, and therefore we don't see the spinup aloft that those models created that drove a blanket of QPF.

NORMALLY once the convective processes have failed to fire the model corrects.  The GFS should finally correct this run I think...although it may still wait until the 0z.

It was rare even in the 50s to get completely blindsided. The one case was 3/19/56 which was an un forecasted even at Nowcast 1-2 feet.

I think that may have been the one my father couldn't get home that night from work at the Sears plant in the Fenway, and ended up taking shelter at one of the hospitals.

I think that may have been the one my father couldn't get home that night from work at the Sears plant in the Fenway, and ended up taking shelter at one of the hospitals.

You must be close to my age. It was a Sunday after a quick burst of 4-6 Friday. I was 9 and out with my friends sledding. In those days, we just sledded down paved hilly roads with packed snow...miracle we survived...

Anyway, I remember mothers coming out tot drag us home and when I noticed it was snowing heavily I perked up. The next morning an all out blizzard was ongoing.

Archived