joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI for those that have a standby generator. I have a kohler 20kw,whole house gen running on natural gas, with a carb heater, set to test every Friday @ 3pm. Just over a year old, cranked yesterday wouldnt start, after three attemps, shuts down. My davis weather station yesterday am, recorded a 20 below windchill, spoke with techs to reset, try a few things, and it worked, i will start again later today to run 20 min or so just in case..they said they have been getting so many calls do to the temps, windchills etc. Sorry to post here, just an fyi maybe it was friday the 13th thing

Wind chill shouldn't impact equipment.

But it was pretty cold. Good luck

Can you feel ok using the srefs over the Nam as a met this close in?

It's all just a piece of the puzzle. To have the GFS/RPM/SREF in one corner is interesting but can't really do much more than just watch it. Our forecast is definitely on the higher side of Euro/EPS/RGEM so we're hedging a little higher anyway. 

Tags? Can you elaborate? Interested to hear what implication this has. Thanks

No mystery - sorry.  UML, and they are just what we called any identifiable features in a satellite loop that can be tracked.  If you take note of a piece of cloud element, or even vapor plume on a WV loop, and track it over space and time, you can very closely approximate the wind velocity.  In the case of last night, there were estimates over 100kts! 

HA John will be on the cape....coincidence?

Not a coincidence! His trip motivated me to want to go...but we may or may not meet up on Sunday. I'm going with my dad and we haven't seen each other in a while. A little annoyed at the bust potential but it's hard to believe that Essex County won't at least do reasonably well. 

?

Doug, it was confined to the immediate n sore, Boston and s shore.

Didn't penetrate inland.

Definitely an oversight on my part, you're right. But that being said, even some of the hi-res guidance doesn't really get the coastal front enhancement to BOS...by the time the CCB organizes offshore, we get strong NW flow and the CCB barely makes it past the very immediate coast. 

I mean I really don't think we should worry about the NAM, considering the SREF which should inherently be a more stable version of the NAM looks better and other guidance has better banding signals. I want to just trust the meteorology and see that with the ML Centers where they are, we should do very well. 

Well .. unfortunately ... coherence is still lacking enough that even a mere 12 to 18 hours prior to this supposedly scaring the shister out of babes and new home owners, I am not fully convinced this thing evolves the way the bevvy of outlets purport. 

Just about 50/50, I could see this going down either way.  Either:  Dim sun, flurries with bitter cold/wind, while a scouring wind/snow event contract SE toward the Cape;  CCB from the cold heart of hell hammering everyone east of a rough EEN/HFD line with life threatening wind chills and choking short duration accumulations through tomorrow morning. 

Flip a coin. Truth probably destined to be told somewhere between those extremes; that's about the only confidence I personally have in this outcome, that it will be in between.  Just don't ask anyone to describe exactly where in the spectrum of impact this will be. 

What fantastic Meteorology, though. Really.  We've won the lottery this year, no if ands or buts about it.  There really has been no time off between events over the last three weeks.  We relay gloating afterglow celebrations right into Special Weather statements that prove worth the while, with panache!  10 minutes later (it proverbially seems) said Special is warning or a blizzard?!   Constant entertainment and wonder, unrelenting...  

By the way, for muse ... take a look at the 06z Frankenmodel... It has as 954 mb low in the GOM re the mid week storm.  Estimating the intervals leading... over 2." liq equiv, all snow as a low bombs through the 960s while it passes near Cape Cod.   It would be difficult to get one's mind around the implications if something like that happened.   We'd be talking about 6' snow packs across much the area E of that same EEN/HFD distinction.  Probably have to call in the Military - no joke.  I guess at some point .. heh, folks may want to stop egging and hoping and wishing this schit on..

Well .. unfortunately ... coherence is still lacking enough that even a mere 12 to 18 hours prior to this supposedly scaring the shister out of babes and new home owners, I am not fully convinced this thing evolves the way the bevvy of outlets purport. 

Just about 50/50, I could see this going down either way.  Either:  Dim sun, flurries with bitter cold/wind, while a scouring wind/snow event contract SE toward the Cape;  CCB from the cold heart of hell hammering everyone east of a rough EEN/HFD line with life threatening wind chills and choking short duration accumulations through tomorrow morning. 

Flip a coin. Truth probably destined to be told somewhere between those extremes; that's about the only confidence I personally have in this outcome, that it will be in between.  Just don't ask anyone to describe exactly where in the spectrum of impact this will be. 

What fantastic Meteorology, though. Really.  We've won the lottery this year, no if ands or buts about it.  There really has been no time off between events over the last three weeks.  We relay gloating afterglow celebrations right into Special Weather statements that prove worth the while, with panache!   Constant entertainment and wonder, unrelenting...  

By the way, for muse ... take a look at the 06z Frankenmodel... It has as 954 mb low in the GOM re the mid week storm.  Estimating the intervals leading... over 2." liq equiv, all snow as a low bombs through the 960s while it passes near Cape Cod.   It would be difficult to get one's mind around the implications if something like that happened.   We'd be talking about 6' snow packs across much the area E of that same EEN/HFD distinction.  Probably have to call in the Military - no joke.  I guess at some point .. heh, folks may want to stop egging and hoping and wishing this schit on..

Something tells me that won't be happening here  :snowwindow:  :snowing:

What fantastic Meteorology, though. Really.  We've won the lottery this year, no if ands or buts about it.  There really has been no time off between events over the last three weeks.  We relay gloating afterglow celebrations right into Special Weather statements that prove worth the while, with panache!  10 minutes later (it proverbially seems) said Special is warning or a blizzard?!   Constant entertainment and wonder, unrelenting...  

Military has already been called in to help

Archived