• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

GGEM is also terrible, if it's right, NYC gets more snow than BOS(0.4" QPF vs 0.3"). It's the GFS vs. the world at this point.

The GFS  is wrong, I'm not saying that because every other model destroys me with the norlun either, but no way in hell do the GGEM, Spc WRF, RGEM, UKMET and NAM all show the norlun in the same spot and have Boston much lower QPF and all be wrong...I do think its possible the CCB is better than those models show but its possible the GFS not really seeing the norlun trof is impacting its results over coastal MA.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GGEM is like on it's own little planet. It speeds the system up, also farther east than on its 12z run. The whole evolution of the system is 100% different than any model even its own Canadian partner the RGEM. So either the GGEM is scoring a massive coup or the GFS is scoring a massive coup. 

The GFS  is wrong, I'm not saying that because every other model destroys me with the norlun either, but no way in hell do the GGEM, Spc WRF, RGEM, UKMET and NAM all show the norlun in the same spot and have Boston much lower QPF and all be wrong...I do think its possible the CCB is better than those models show but its possible the GFS not really seeing the norlun trof is impacting its results over coastal MA.

Unbiased, logical model interpretation ftw.

Eh...may eat these words in the day ahead but I think the GFS is out to lunch being so far west.  It looks like in the vicinity of where the inverted trough tries to form it takes a modest speedmax and goes apesh** with it as it rips NE across SNE.  Look at the barbs in the image above no the GFS.  Remove that and what you have is pretty much all the models (about .3 or .4 less than the GFS).  It's either genius, or it's a feedback type error.

Will see in 24 hours regardless.   GGEM/NAM/RGEM all pretty much agree. 

Well, for the last 18 hrs, 3 runs, not much has changed in the GFS scenario.  I'll go with consistency until proven wrong.

It actually could be feedback on the other models that could be shearing and allowing the S/W to escape ENE. Like I said, this won't be so conventional. It's a true "polar low". The greatest instability will be closer to the coast and that is where this will bomb, not near the conventional wisdom of where the baroclinic zone is further east because that might be why those models are east. They key on something so conventional when the setup is clearly not so conventional if that makes sense. I fully expect this to hug the coast more initially and then get captured and "semi-stall" a smidge east of Cape Cod.

Well that's the rub.  The GEFS mean is actually ENE of the last run, and at the same time the GFS OP is going nuts with that precip, the GEFS backed down on that blob from 18z to 0z.  I'm going to say it's bogus...that the up to .5" QPF blob it tears across the region very quickly is an error. 

just using this as an example you dont need much snow to get a blizzard i know people in here were saying the snow wont fall hard enough earlier

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI
947 PM EST FRI FEB 13 2015

...DANGEROUS BLIZZARD CONDITIONS EXPECTED ALONG PORTIONS OF LAKE
SUPERIOR THROUGH SATURDAY...

MIZ001-003-141100-
/O.CON.KMQT.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-150215T0300Z/
KEWEENAW-NORTHERN HOUGHTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COPPER HARBOR...HOUGHTON...HANCOCK

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST SATURDAY...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* AS WINDS TURN TO THE NORTH AFTER MIDNIGHT...WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH
WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL COMBINE WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW TO PRODUCE
SIGNIFICANT BLOWING SNOW AND WHITE OUT CONDITIONS LATE TONIGHT
INTO SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SOUTH OF HOUGHTON AND ON THE SOUTH SIDE
OF THE KEWEENAW PENINSULA NEAR JACOBSVILLE... WINDS WILL BE 15 TO
25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH.

* LOW WIND CHILLS OF 25 TO 35 BELOW ZERO ARE EXPECTED LATE
TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 3 TO 5 INCHES IS EXPECTED BY SATURDAY
NIGHT.

Well that's the rub.  The GEFS mean is actually ENE of the last run, and at the same time the GFS OP is going nuts with that precip, the GEFS backed down on that blob from 18z to 0z.  I'm going to say it's bogus...that the up to .5" QPF blob it tears across the region very quickly is an error. 

Where are you seeing the GEFs already out? 

If you are wrong so I am.....after really looking it over I think the OP GFS is bogus.  It's not supported by the GEFS either and in fact they backed away a bit from the "blob"....this looks like a feedback deal.   Max could be right, it could be that ALL the other models are missing this feature and the GFS nailed it but I don't think so.   Remove that spin which is #1, oddly placed, #2 perfectly associated with the QPF max (definition of feedback), and it's not much different than the consensus.

SzvPvkn.jpg

NAM Has been adament about us being dry slotted for a time. This needs to be taken seriousy imo since it picks up these meso-scale features that the GFS won't.

4KM Hi Res Nam gets dry slot to about your hiney  * a touch SW* then doesn't push it past and sinks precip back down west and South

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4_0z/rad30.html that is as far NE the dry slot gets then its collapses south and fills

just using this as an example you dont need much snow to get a blizzard i know people in here were saying the snow wont fall hard enough earlier

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI

...DANGEROUS BLIZZARD CONDITIONS EXPECTED ALONG PORTIONS OF LAKE

SUPERIOR THROUGH SATURDAY...

MIZ001-003-141100-

/O.CON.KMQT.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-150215T0300Z/

KEWEENAW-NORTHERN HOUGHTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COPPER HARBOR...HOUGHTON...HANCOCK

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST SATURDAY...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* AS WINDS TURN TO THE NORTH AFTER MIDNIGHT...WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH

WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL COMBINE WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW TO PRODUCE

SIGNIFICANT BLOWING SNOW AND WHITE OUT CONDITIONS LATE TONIGHT

INTO SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SOUTH OF HOUGHTON AND ON THE SOUTH SIDE

OF THE KEWEENAW PENINSULA NEAR JACOBSVILLE... WINDS WILL BE 15 TO

25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH.

* LOW WIND CHILLS OF 25 TO 35 BELOW ZERO ARE EXPECTED LATE

TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 3 TO 5 INCHES IS EXPECTED BY SATURDAY

NIGHT.

Last year in the Dakotas and Minnesota there we blizzard warnings with zero snow falling, just extremely high winds whipping the snowpack all over the place. The winds alone will make this storm impressive as well.

What's interesting to me is that if you look at current radar and compare to GFS and NAM runs its both further S and W with concentrated precip amounts then those models. I think the NAM is further from current radar returns, NAM doesn't Highlight the returns over Iowa and Nebraska, GFS catches it a bit.

Overall the GFS depicts a closer Nowcast time, its still off a bit SW. Just interest to see if this clipper approaches from a slightly further angle from the S and W then before I would the the transfer to the coast may follow suite. Which could lead to an better scenario for all of SNE. Not saying its happening, just interesting to watch.

Getting close to Nowcasting.

If you are wrong so I am.....after really looking it over I think the OP GFS is bogus.  It's not supported by the GEFS either and in fact they backed away a bit from the "blob"....this looks like a feedback deal.   Max could be right, it could be that ALL the other models are missing this feature and the GFS nailed it but I don't think so.   Remove that spin which is #1, oddly placed, #2 perfectly associated with the QPF max (definition of feedback), and it's not much different than the consensus.

SzvPvkn.jpg

I wonder too how much an impact it not having the inverted trof impacts the rest of the solution, of course you can argue the rest of the solution being different is why the inverted trof does not form..  I know some people argued that area of snow over N CT is the inverted trof but I don't think it is.

4KM Hi Res Nam gets dry slot to about your hiney * a touch SW* then doesn't push it past and sinks precip back down west and South

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4_0z/rad30.html that is as far NE the dry slot gets then its collapses south and fills

Lol my hiney. So you think the dryslot is short lived? What bothers me too is that the Nam doesn't show any sign of a death band coming through once the dry slot is gone and the low pulls away.

Clinch, I think that the GEFs might actually be too close in now than at 12z today to really be of use. What is interesting to me is that the upper levels of the 0z op run of the GFS is an exact match of the 12z GEFs mean for the upper levels. Besides, if the upper levels continue to trend stronger up til this hitting the Jersey coast, I fully expect to see a result much closer to what the GFS currently has than what other models show. Remember the GFS is also much better with northern streamers than those way east model solutions of the RGEM/UKIE/GGEM/NAM. Maybe even better with northern stream systems than the EURO, but I don't know if I can go as far as to say that. This is definitely a big test for the GFS.

I wonder too how much an impact it not having the inverted trof impacts the rest of the solution, of course you can argue the rest of the solution being different is why the inverted trof does not form..  I know some people argued that area of snow over N CT is the inverted trof but I don't think it is.

Well - and I could be totally wrong - but if that inverted trough is going to be particularly robust - and it probably is at least for a time, the GFS could be going ape with it, triggering a convective type feedback process from the trough itself.  Once that is initiated it would in and of itself wreck any trough as the 500mb feature would trump that.    I mean IMO that's the entire difference in the "all others" vs GFS type camp.   We can argue the nuances of .4 vs .65 from the others, but the GFS is a region wide dump.

I think it's bogus.  It doesn't make sense to me that it's closing the mid level centers while having what is basically a pin hole in the atmosphere rushing across SNE north of it.  The others shear it out as you'd expect.

Archived