• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

This isn't a paste job snow for Boston, light and fluffy which helps plus the T has the luxury of offering limited service Monday due to holiday and then back to full service Tuesday.

I know there has been a lot of snow already but Boston is not shutting down, even with 12"-18", trust me.

I know, slightly ot but I want to add that this storm is again an E NE special and Gov. Baker will not hesitate to call in help from the National Guard and states W & S of MA. He has already asked for federal aid. 12" + from this and 12" more mid-week and Boston will still be business as usual within 24 hours post event. There are game plans for these scenarios.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Harvey's 11pm full segment....did a great job as usual breaking down the storm and the way it may go in two parts.

Even the though the newcasters were talking about the forecast as doom and gloom...you could sense Harvey was pretty excited to tell them that the week was going to feature arctic cold and then another potential snow event Tuesday night/Wednesday.

Just watched Harvey's 11pm full segment....did a great job as usual breaking down the storm and the way it may go in two parts.

Even the though the newcasters were talking about the forecast as doom and gloom...you could sense Harvey was pretty excited to tell them that the week was going to feature arctic cold and then another potential snow event Tuesday night/Wednesday.

Hes as twisted as we are, imagine the depths of some of those drifts by Thursday, wetter snow Wednesday will make places to put it more of an issue too. Geez

Wouldn't mind another law school snowday, we only close if MBTA shut :P. 3 snow days so far this month, 2 snow days since 1978 until this winter.

No kidding with all these snow days. Kind of feel bad for the 1Ls who are no doubt struggling to get into a routine.

BOS could easily be 90+ on the season after this. 55+ for the month at the halfway point. Incredible!

I don't think I'd go blizzard warnings all the way back, but I'm more bullish for snow than the RGEM is, that is for sure. GFS might be a little too happy with the coverage of 1"+ qpf, but I like 8-12" for most ORH eastward with higher lollis in the usual spots like Essex county and probably down to BOS and Weymouth.

GFS drives a lot of moisture (over 1/2") from this feature it continues to spin up and keep tighter that the others allow to shear and escape ENE.  Who knows...could be feedback or lack thereof..it looks bogus to me though.

SzvPvkn.jpg

No kidding with all these snow days. Kind of feel bad for the 1Ls who are no doubt struggling to get into a routine.

BOS could easily be 90+ on the season after this. 55+ for the month at the halfway point. Incredible!

Haha, 1L here. Really tried to keep the weather thing quiet, came out in torts last semester, now I am the class of 2017 weather guy. Oh well

This isn't a paste job snow for Boston, light and fluffy which helps plus the T has the luxury of offering limited service Monday due to holiday and then back to full service Tuesday.

I know there has been a lot of snow already but Boston is not shutting down, even with 12"-18", trust me.

Maybe not a full shutdown, but it is still a cluster#$%& around here. The T has had lengthy delays, commuting by car is a massive cluster#$&^, and narrow streets in the older neighborhoods are ridiculously cluttered with huge piles, despite the city's laudable efforts to remove them. Lots of people b!tching about neighbors taking parking spaces, dumping snow in them etc. I think a foot of fresh snow, combined with drifting of the existing pack if there's big wind, will have serious implications for getting around Boston, MBTA or otherwise. That said, I'm not fully buying what the GFS is selling. Even with the extraordinary ULL and its ominous trajectory, I think Tip and Clinch make a valid point about the limited baroclinic potential. This may in part explain why the QPF outputs are lower than one might typically expect of a bombing storm in the 965-970mb range. Even if this does prove something of a nolle prosequi compared to our recent events from an accumulation standpoint, I still think the wind, drifting and cold will be quite impactful and blizzard conditions will verify.

Eh...may eat these words in the day ahead but I think the GFS is out to lunch being so far west.  It looks like in the vicinity of where the inverted trough tries to form it takes a modest speedmax and goes apesh** with it as it rips NE across SNE.  Look at the barbs in the image above no the GFS.  Remove that and what you have is pretty much all the models (about .3 or .4 less than the GFS).  It's either genius, or it's a feedback type error.

Will see in 24 hours regardless.   GGEM/NAM/RGEM all pretty much agree. 

Maybe not a full shutdown, but it is still a cluster#$%& around here. The T has had lengthy delays, commuting by car is a massive cluster#$&^, and narrow streets in the older neighborhoods are ridiculously cluttered with huge piles, despite the city's laudable efforts to remove them. Lots of people b!tching about neighbors taking parking spaces, dumping snow in them etc. I think a foot of fresh snow, combined with drifting of the existing pack if there's big wind, will have serious implications for getting around Boston, MBTA or otherwise. That said, I'm not fully buying what the GFS is selling. Even with the extraordinary ULL and its ominous trajectory, I think Tip and Clinch make a valid point about the limited baroclinic potential. This may in part explain why the QPF outputs are lower than one might typically expect of a bombing storm in the 965-970mb range. Even if this does prove something of a nolle prosequi compared to our recent events from an accumulation standpoint, I still think the wind, drifting and cold will be quite impactful and blizzard conditions will verify.

The Wednesday storm could be a real b*atch for them. If this event drops 10-14" fluff + drifts and then they get a 8-12" pasting Wednesday, its just compounding the S**tshow they've already had. Small business is also getting crushed by all of this in the suburbs. Ain't nobuddy got time for this.

GFS drives a lot of moisture (over 1/2") from this feature it continues to spin up and keep tighter that the others allow to shear and escape ENE.  Who knows...could be feedback or lack thereof..it looks bogus to me though.

It actually could be feedback on the other models that could be shearing and allowing the S/W to escape ENE. Like I said, this won't be so conventional. It's a true "polar low". The greatest instability will be closer to the coast and that is where this will bomb, not near the conventional wisdom of where the baroclinic zone is further east because that might be why those models are east. They key on something so conventional when the setup is clearly not so conventional if that makes sense. I fully expect this to hug the coast more initially and then get captured and "semi-stall" a smidge east of Cape Cod.

Yeah, but it went from awful to ok. I would definitely not put it in the same camp as the GFS.

point is it made a significant move towards the GFS. GFS has been steady and doubled down earlier today and then again tonight. Two mesocale models moved towards GFS...gotta lean that way for now

The Wednesday storm could be a real b*atch for them. If this event drops 10-14" fluff + drifts and then they get a 8-12" pasting Wednesday, its just compounding the S**tshow they've already had. Small business is also getting crushed by all of this in the suburbs. Ain't nobuddy got time for this.

Agreed, mini-recession around here (mini-bubble if you drive a plow). Of course, on the other hand, if we did realize the full potential, we would also close in to a 100" 30 day period. Oh, the humanity!

It actually could be feedback on the other models that could be shearing and allowing the S/W to escape ENE. Like I said, this won't be so conventional. It's a true "polar low". The greatest instability will be closer to the coast and that is where this will bomb, not near the conventional wisdom of where the baroclinic zone is further east because that might be why those models are east. They key on something so conventional when the setup is clearly not so conventional if that makes sense. I fully expect this to hug the coast more initially and then get captured and "semi-stall" a smidge east of Cape Cod.

Makes a lot of sense to me. It'll really be interesting to see how this plays out. 20-30 degree temp differential between airmass and ocean will set up some interesting forcing effect.

I really feel like what the GFS is keying on is a "positive feedback loop", where the strong upper levels and super cold air aloft and with a closed H5 low creates a system where it manufactures its own baroclinic zone right off the Jersey coast. And as it grows stronger and stronger it creates more instability ahead of it. And eventually gets captured by the H5 low as it occludes and begins to stack in the vertical. 

Archived