Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is a true Patriot, going with the American

Harv has been bullish on this one all along. 

The GFS is a huge, huge problem for all of SNE.   I mean...that's a major transportation issue for almost all of SNE.  (and of course N&E).  Far different animal than what is expected right now.

So....what do the experts think?  Buy the GFS and push blizzard warnings into central MA, CT and RI?

I'm just finding this mesolow feature the RGEM continues to show on the coastal front here in Cumberland County ME around midnight tomorrow night fascinating. The GFS now has this feature in the same location too. 3 and 6 hour qpf amounts are pretty disgusting as strong southeast inflow rips into this thing. You can even see the circulation in the wind barbs at 06z tomorrow night on the RGEM shown in the image below. The color image is the 3-hour qpf...in which the green is greater than 0.5" in 3 hours with a max of 0.70 over Freeport, ME.

post-13-0-80860500-1423886903_thumb.png

So you believe all of SNE gets a blizzard? Hey I hope it happens, it clobbers everyone.

But given the situation, I'll take the RGEM, and NAM together. If the EUro suddenly comes way west, hats off to everyone that thought this was a regionwide blizzard like the 0z GFS.

why are the NAM and RGEM not blizzards?

Harvey going 12"+ basically inside of 128 ont he 11pm newscast...and the south shore that sticks out. Essex county of course too. 8-12 for ORH up through ASH and down to E CT.

Where have you guys seen this before this winter, night of, things become clearer, Harvey goes all in and we know why. This pattern will not be denied. I just can"t believe the intensity this year, the baroclinicity of cold is never to be discounted and yes a lot to do with the pond and Jamess stream. The reason we did not give up on the pattern was seeing how cold and how deep that cold was in Canada. I really don"t see very much change for the next 4+ weeks. 

Harv has been bullish on this one all along. 

The GFS is a huge, huge problem for all of SNE.   I mean...that's a major transportation issue for almost all of SNE.  (and of course N&E).  Far different animal than what is expected right now.

So....what do the experts think?  Buy the GFS and push blizzard warnings into central MA, CT and RI?

I don't think I'd go blizzard warnings all the way back, but I'm more bullish for snow than the RGEM is, that is for sure. GFS might be a little too happy with the coverage of 1"+ qpf, but I like 8-12" for most ORH eastward with higher lollis in the usual spots like Essex county and probably down to BOS and Weymouth.

So you believe all of SNE gets a blizzard?  Hey I hope it happens, it clobbers everyone.

But given the situation, I'll take the RGEM, and NAM together.   If the EUro suddenly comes way west, hats off to everyone that thought this was a regionwide blizzard like the 0z GFS.

The GFS doesn't show all of SNE getting a blizzard.  Some won't even have the parameters to qualify for one.  But three runs in a row showing such consistency while other modeling have not gives it more credence.

Using rough ratio approximations of 12:1 (south coast) to 17:1 (ORH), here's one way to look at a forecast blend. Left number is an even EC/GFS/NAM/SREF/RGEM split. The right number weighs the RGEM 2x. Obviously, given "trends," this is only a snapshot based off of recent guidance and the ratios plugged in:
post-533-0-01052200-1423887105_thumb.gif

I'm just finding this mesolow feature the RGEM continues to show on the coastal front here in Cumberland County ME around midnight tomorrow night fascinating. The GFS now has this feature in the same location too. 3 and 6 hour qpf amounts are pretty disgusting as strong southeast inflow rips into this thing. You can even see the circulation in the wind barbs at 06z tomorrow night on the RGEM shown in the image below. The color image is the 3-hour qpf...in which the green is greater than 0.5" in 3 hours with a max of 0.70 over Freeport, ME.

Mega cool, almost looks like a meso on the North end of a convergence line

Serious question: if the GFS or something near it verifies, when do people think the MBTA opens again :P?

June.

In all seriousness, it's already closed Sunday. It'll probably run Monday regardless for political reasons, but expect it to be a massive cluster**** Monday and then probably ugly Tuesday also. And then we get hit again Tuesday night into Wednesday? Maybe June is a legitimate answer after all...

June.

In all seriousness, it's already closed Sunday. It'll probably run Monday regardless, but expect it to be a massive cluster**** Monday and then probably ugly Tuesday also. And then we get hit again Tuesday night into Wednesday? Maybe June is a legitimate answer after all...

Jay's Boston apocolypse scenario becomes more realistic for me if BOS goes 12"+ here and then another 8"+ on Wednesday...though this is a bit off topic.

At any rate, the Euro is the model to wait for...I don't expect the GGEM to show much given the RGEM wasn't that great (though a definite imporvement over 18z)....Ukie has been way north with the all the Mid-level stuff...so I don't expect much, though it will probably finally come south a bit is my guess.

Awesome stuff...thanks for posting

June.

In all seriousness, it's already closed Sunday. It'll probably run Monday regardless for political reasons, but expect it to be a massive cluster**** Monday and then probably ugly Tuesday also. And then we get hit again Tuesday night into Wednesday? Maybe June is a legitimate answer after all...

Monday is a holiday so maybe it won't be that bad?

It ultimately depends on how much snow they get. Anything over 16" and Monday is in jeopardy for running service.

0z GFS could get to that level.

Serious question: if the GFS or something near it verifies, when do people think the MBTA opens again :P?

This isn't a paste job snow for Boston, light and fluffy which helps plus the T has the luxury of offering limited service Monday due to holiday and then back to full service Tuesday.

I know there has been a lot of snow already but Boston is not shutting down, even with 12"-18", trust me.

Watch models trend stronger with upper levels all day tomorrow. Like Will was saying earlier today, it didn't make sense to weaken the upper levels as this hit the coast and even the GFS which has the most QPF was doing that. Now for the first time in like 3 runs, it pops a 498dm contour at H5 right over NYC. I expect that to trend stronger over the next 12 to 18 hours before it hits the coast and then BOOM. I mean the GEFs had a much much stronger ULL than the OP run, so that to me was a red flag in downplaying the development as this hits the coast. And I don't think a conventional baroclinic zone with this system will workout like the Canadian guidance and NAM have been doing until half caving tonight. This is such a powerhouse and so cold aloft that it pretty much makes its own unstable baroclinic zone right off the coast as it hits the waters south of LI. Remember this is a "polar low" not a huge UL trough filled with pockets of S/Ws ala the January Blizzard. 

Monday is a holiday so maybe it won't be that bad?

It ultimately depends on how much snow they get. Anything over 16" and Monday is in jeopardy for running service.

0z GFS could get to that level.

Wouldn't mind another law school snowday, we only close if MBTA shut :P. 3 snow days so far this month, 2 snow days since 1978 until this winter.

Archived