SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So true.  We're on hallowed ground.   Can we break the record?   Guidance says without too much trouble...lol.

I just hope that if we miss it, it's by more than 5-6" or so, because if we finish with say 105, that means that if BOS had measured correctly in the blizzard, we would have beaten it. Would sting a little to have it end like that...

For the record, I think that not only do we beat the record, we smash it by >10". We're in incredible territory at this point, something that none of us will likely ever see again, and we've got to enjoy every minute of it.

Where was BOS at by this date in 95/96?

1995 - 1996 was different... We had a lot of wetter snow from mid November through the 2nd week of December, then it got very cold, leading up to the big early January storm.  But then one helluva thaw set in..  Two or perhaps three Lakes cutters brought DPs close to 60 on southerly gales.  30 to 40" snow packs were obliterated down to bare ground almost.  Then, winter came back later in February and again, it seemed to snow at least excuse imaginable through early April.  But only one storm in those two stretches (that I recall) were very large. It was mostly nickle and dimed to death...  Seemed to snow every 3.5 days, to 3-8"

This year... I think we have been cashing in quite a bit on higher ratio with available cold. This has helped exaggerate our snow depths and result.  I haven't seen this many back to back to back to back powder events toppling over a foot per, in my life. Not at this latitude. Folks should really appreciate that string for ratios alone.  12-20+" of powder, four times in a row come this time Monday, with no intervening melt off.  

And it may in fact all culminate next week with a 12" blue fall from a southern stream bringing hellagood PWAT up over only a weakly moderated cold air mass.   

RGEM may have disappointed in details but look at its robust values on 500 mb heights and surface pressure. If you combine that trend with the GFS scenario you can retain confidence in a higher end solution.

I don't claim to know what's going to happen in reality, but the potential given the dynamics available and the positive SST anomaly values in the target area would suggest caution in downgrading expectations.

Even the very short-term forecasts may bust with this, once the actual system gets out over the open Atlantic, bombs away and if there's any hint of the GFS near-loop sort of lingering while deepening, you would have to figure on 3-5 inch per hour snowfall rates as well as the extreme wind gust scenario.

What brings me back to the GFS as best guidance is simply the feeling that thickness values will be quickly modified by the ocean temperatures and this will create a very strong coastal forcing mechanism that will not be transitory. Given that almost all guidance shows sub-500 dm heights over Cape Cod, a less complicated forecast philosophy would have to point towards blizzard evolution. But as I say, it could go either way. Few have been talking about the upside bust potential with this and that might be something to ponder. Not how bad can this get, but how great can it get? What if it drops even faster into the 960s and loops?

Archived