SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the overrunning the HRRR shows basically in line with what all the globals and regional models showed, anyways?  I think SW VA/KY/WV was supposed to get that tongue of overrunning for the last couple days.

It is unfortunate, though I don't think unexpected.

Yeah James, not so much unexpected, I was just sharing some thoughts regarding the fact that a north trend in the mid levels isn't just detrimental to temperatures...it's also detrimental to precip amounts.  The precip shield that works across NC won't be as wide a swath as it will be to the north.

I think there's a shift on the 0z NAM .. already by hour 9 there some precip breaking out over LA ... I think the trough is digging farther south a tad.. Don't know if that's going to make any difference though.

It does look a little south out to hr 12.  It's nickpicky, but at 12 hours out every little detail matters.  It wouldn't take much to turn this into a bigger storm for some folks, anyways, so small details may matter.

I'd also say that it is a little faster.

I also added the change from one run of the RAP or HRRR't total precip compared to the previous run. So think of it as if the 18z RAP showed 0.75 at your station and the 19z RAP showed 0.5 it would show up as -0.25.

I attached a sample of the RAP change for the 23z run minus the 22z run.

So if I'm reading this right the more southern part of the system strengthened between runs more relative to the northern part??

I'll put my money on what actually falls out of the sky tomorrow. I was simply reporting what I was seeing.

Good idea. The Nam simulated radar at 3 hours is pretty off from what the actual radar is showing regarding coverage and southern extent. It also does not have the northern tongue in the correct orientation or extent versus what is showing on radar in Missouri and Illinois. I think now cast and real time observations upstream are going to be as accurate as any thing else for this system.

Archived