SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, it seems  like any time there is a chance of a warm layer (or two), we get a quicker changeover from snow to sleet.  I expect that again this time.  My call here in the triad is for a couple inches of snow and then a couple inches of sleet.  Will make a nice coating on the roads.

TW

FWIW, it seems  like any time there is a chance of a warm layer (or two), we get a quicker changeover from snow to sleet.  I expect that again this time.  My call here in the triad is for a couple inches of snow and then a couple inches of sleet.  Will make a nice coating on the roads.

TW

Exactly what I was thinking Tarheel.  Seen it too many times.  Snow estimates are bloated in the triad.

TW

Basically agreed, and the NWS RAH is forecasting 4" of snow/sleet for us, so that looks fine.  That would be a pretty major storm, especially with the frigid temperatures.

Not sure that it matters, but the RAP is the only model generating such a strong "meso" high in southeast Virginia.  It actually strengthens this high up over 1030mb starting around hour 12.

:facepalm: Sooooo depressing! Even 100 miles south over our area would make a huge difference for a lot of us. If the low would take just a hair lower trajectory in Texas it could easily be 100 miles or more south by the time it got here. Cruel, just cruel :weep:

ABC11 had similar thoughts. So who knows.

Sent from my iPad

Wonder if they realize the euro isnt really showing 5.4 inches of snow or whatever at RDU, but that takes into account snow and sleet and freezing rain.Euro is certainly not showing that much snow if you step through the hours and look at 850 temps etc.

What are we realistically hoping to see from the RAP? How much difference will a few miles south make? I guess 100 miles would matter, but I don't know that that's realistic. Is there some other possibility on the table within the realm of having a realistic chance of happening?

Only other possibility I can see happening would be God saying "jkjk got yall on this one, have fun with your snow"

What are we realistically hoping to see from the RAP? How much difference will a few miles south make? I guess 100 miles would matter, but I don't know that that's realistic. Is there some other possibility on the table within the realm of having a realistic chance of happening?

Well, the WPC gives it a 5% chance of something like that happening :D

Here's the HRRR at 8AM tomorrow morning.  For the snow and sleet lovers, what hurts is that the fast streaking overrunning precip is going to be well north of NC - it will be streaking through Kentucky and into southern West Virginia...and that's mainly due to the north trend that occurred over the past 2 days with the 5h vort max and 850mb low.  So while the sfc low and the sfc freezing line east of the mtns hasn't climbed way, way north, the mid level warming and the location of the streaking overrunning precip HAS climbed north.  Lastly, normally with the way storms work, the rich get richer...that is, the locations that receive the fast streaking overrunning precip also get in on the comma head precip...so, they get the longest duration event. 

HRRR.gif

In south trends we trust. 23z went more south :D 

Thanks for the link to the video, Isopycnic!  That was pretty well put together by NWS RAH.

I think it's a little dubious to be looking at the end of the runs of the RAP and HRRR at this point.  Aren't they generally unreliable towards the end of their runs?  Of course, at the same time, there aren't any other models coming out now, so we might as well look. :)

Here's the HRRR at 8AM tomorrow morning.  For the snow and sleet lovers, what hurts is that the fast streaking overrunning precip is going to be well north of NC - it will be streaking through Kentucky and into southern West Virginia...and that's mainly due to the north trend that occurred over the past 2 days with the 5h vort max and 850mb low.  So while the sfc low and the sfc freezing line east of the mtns hasn't climbed way, way north, the mid level warming and the location of the streaking overrunning precip HAS climbed north.  Lastly, normally with the way storms work, the rich get richer...that is, the locations that receive the fast streaking overrunning precip also get in on the comma head precip...so, they get the longest duration event. 

yep, latest rap shows the same.

Thanks for the link to the video, Isopycnic!  That was pretty well put together by NWS RAH.

I think it's a little dubious to be looking at the end of the runs of the RAP and HRRR at this point.  Aren't they generally unreliable towards the end of their runs?  Of course, at the same time, there aren't any other models coming out now, so we might as well look. :)

It never does much if any good unless there's something else that backs it up.  

Archived