• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

Bottom line, it's going to be hard to ever trust numerical models in the pattern like we have had this year. Models cannot be used as a forecasting tool efficiently if they are this wrong within 2 days of an event. Maybe next year the models will luck into a pattern they can sniff things out more than 24 hours in advance.

Sincere good luck to you guys in NC and north.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the exception of the last 4-6 hours of steady precip, this is all snow West of 321 in Western North Carolina.

Quite honestly it is a near perfect run for my specific area but knowing the GFS it will change once again at 6z. Surface temps are amazing though during the event.

With the exception of the last 4-6 hours of steady precip, this is all snow West of 321 in Western North Carolina.

Quite honestly it is a near perfect run for my specific area but knowing the GFS it will change once again at 6z. Surface temps are amazing though during the event.

The way the gfs depicts this storm it would be a big hit for the northern foothills, but the nam seems to be hinting at lee side down sloping. I think we need to root for the consolidated SLP idea of the gfs/ukie

The northern stream energy contributing to this winter storm should be moving into British Columbia tonight, where it will be accurately sampled for the first time. Tomorrow is when I think we can begin to take models more seriously. The 0z GFS was too far north for anything significant across N GA/SC/SE NC, so we'll see how this goes over the coming day. Good luck to those upstate.

Steady as she goes, Marion.  The temperature never even approaches 30 for the next several days.  Amazing stuff.  Here's the TT version of the 00Z GFS snowfall, but I'm not sure how Cohen's algorithm handles sleet and freezing rain.

vQLma85.png

Steady as she goes, Marion.  The temperature never even approaches 30 for the next several days.  Amazing stuff.  Here's the TT version of the 00Z GFS snowfall, but I'm not sure how Cohen's algorithm handles sleet and freezing rain.

vQLma85.png

For comparison, here's the 12Z at the same hour:

gfs_asnow_seus_14.png

Can anyone explain the reason that all of the guidance is now shifting the system north? Is it the NE storm not being as strong? The 50/50 being farther north or pulling out too early? The arctic airmass not being as strong as modeled? There has to be a reason for it, other than just that it always inevitably happens.

Can anyone explain the reason that all of the guidance is now shifting the system north? Is it the NE storm not being as strong? The 50/50 being farther north or pulling out too early? The arctic airmass not being as strong as modeled? There has to be a reason for it, other than just that it always inevitably happens.

CR if you compare the 12z GFS with tonight's 00z GFS, the difference is that the initial lead wave is sharper, and most importantly, there are height rises across the Ohio Valley...we can't have any kind of height rises there.  The height pattern has to stay flat in order to keep this south

CR if you compare the 12z GFS with tonight's 00z GFS, the difference is that the initial lead wave is sharper, and most importantly, there are height rises across the Ohio Valley...we can't have any kind of height rises there. The height pattern has to stay flat in order to keep this south

Thanks man. I wonder why height rises mysteriously show up now. Oh well.

Yep looks like a few hours of ZR/IP at the beginning for North GA but then it goes over to a cold rain. NE GA might be a different situation though. 

Amazing how horribly this has trended for wintry weather in Atlanta over the past 18 hours...

NE GA is still snowing and quite a bit of it at hr 48.  Moderate snows moving into the NC western Piedmont.  NW SC is also snow all the way down close to CAE so far (they will soon change over obviously).

EDIT: The GGEM is a big hit for I-40.  Looks like it's still snow at hr 54 with half-inch of QPF having fallen.  Great run for SW VA.

Looks like the GGEM might try to crank the coastal.

Looks like 4-5" of snow and 0.5-0.1" IP for I-85.  Decent ice storm for RDU.  The snow line is roughly I-85 on the Canadian.  SW VA is the best spot with 6-7".

Well, then the 00z UKMET drives the surface low right over central NC, so there's that... :yikes:

It's also stronger and a little quicker. I mean it isn't a huge change in the grand scheme of things but for a lot of people it isn't going to be good. With it being stronger maybe the front side will have more precip. Also, I'd think there will be a chance for some wraparound snow.

edit: No temp maps yet but it could really be like rain for everyone south of VA at some point.

Archived