Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Do You Like Ice Storms (Frz Rain)?

griteater

Do you like Ice Storms (Frz Rain)?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Ice Storms (Frz Rain)?

• No
    • I'm OK with light icing, but not the big ones
    • I like 'em all, even the biggies

I really love ice storms. Its been awhile since our last big one so I have been deprived somewhat. I don't know why but I think they are almost as beautiful as a good snowstorm. I can live without power outages but I actually live close to a power substation so I may not have to worry about that. 

I really love ice storms. Its been awhile since our last big one so I have been deprived somewhat. I don't know why but I think they are almost as beautiful as a good snowstorm. I can live without power outages but I actually live close to a power substation so I may not have to worry about that. 

Luckily I have gas logs, gas stove, gas water heater...so, that lessens my concern...guy up the street here has automatic cutover to generator which is nice

1. Snow

2.Freezing Rain

3.Sleet

4.Rain

5.Sunshine

I think Freezing Rain can make for some incredible picture moments but it usually melts so quickly that I rarely have a chance. Ive also never been in a big ice storm in my life but I want to at some point

It shouldn't take you too long to find a good ice storm in Old Fort...how long have you been there?

Why zr over sleet, just curious?

I like freezing rain better b/c it sticks to trees and thus looks more wintry/beautiful.  Plus you get the excitement of sagging limbs and popping/crashing tree's. 

Other than making the ground white, sleet just doesn't do it for me...

1. It doesn't accumulate very fast

2. No tree stickage

3. Can't make snow cream out of it

4. I usually have my hopes up for snow when I actually get accumulating sleet so its sort of a bummer when it happens.

It shouldn't take you too long to find a good ice storm in Old Fort...how long have you been there?

Lived here all my life (20 years) so ive seen some good snow storms but no ice storms stick out in my mind. The 2000s really sucked here. Asheville west would get snow, South Carolina would get snow and I remember the big Charlotte storm and we got 2 inches I think. So 2009-2011 really spoiled me and I would love to have that on a more consistent basis. 

Yes, I like all winter weather for various reasons. 

1. Snow

2. Sleet

3. Freezing rain. 

Freezing rain you may lose power, but everything shuts down and it's so quiet and calm.  It's pretty too.  As long as nobody gets hurt that is...of course.  Plus you probably get out of work.  What's not to like? :weight_lift:

I like freezing rain better b/c it sticks to trees and thus looks more wintry/beautiful.  Plus you get the excitement of sagging limbs and popping/crashing tree's. 

Other than making the ground white, sleet just doesn't do it for me...

1. It doesn't accumulate very fast

2. No tree stickage

3. Can't make snow cream out of it

4. I usually have my hopes up for snow when I actually get accumulating sleet so its sort of a bummer when it happens.

Gotcha.  I would go sleet over frz rain, but like both

Lived here all my life (20 years) so ive seen some good snow storms but no ice storms stick out in my mind. The 2000s really sucked here. Asheville west would get snow, South Carolina would get snow and I remember the big Charlotte storm and we got 2 inches I think. So 2009-2011 really spoiled me and I would love to have that on a more consistent basis. 

Yea the 2000s were pretty bad in general but 2003 was a good winter, and there was a couple moderate ice storm in the early to mid 2000s

No - for many reasons.

Hundreds of 80' pines on the property, 10s of thousands in the surrounding area. (development was an abandoned tree farm).

On a well - power out, no water.

Wife's medical situation - should she have another seizure or stroke or worse, lack of transportation.

I hate the cleanup involved.

I hate using a chain saw.

I hate Winter for my own medical situation... had experimental chemotherapy at NIH in the early 80's, and one of the side effects from that is total numbness in the toes, fingers and other extremities when it gets below 45 or so when outside for any length of time.

No studded tires or cleats for shoes :D

It confuses the cats.

I think that's all for now :)

I've had just as many issues with power and other damage from heavy, wet snow here as I have with freezing rain. My last major power outage was from 8 inches of wet snow in December 2009. This also happened in 2004. They wet snow wreaked havoc in the pine trees and brought them down on power lines. My last major issue with ZR in that regard was 1998 when we had 3 days of rain at 28 degrees, 2.5-3 inches of ice and Christmas week without power. 

Im not to far from Old Fort. Im from North Cove an ive seen more than my fair share. Their a thing of beauty but not nine trees in your driveway an no power for a week. Its all fun til that point. Ill take cold rain anyday!