• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 17-18 Event

moneypitmike

Yeah I just saw the later panels. That nails Essex county.

I'm resigned to the first lame work week in about a month.

I can recall once in my life receiving significant snowfall from an inverted trough (Dec 19, 2007), so it's on to the weekend.

I look forward to maybe some cement with the one, and a cf inland from Hyannis, perhaps.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's going to be a band that models don't show producing more. 2-4 seems good to me

Yeah but that band is likely to be SE of most of us...probably like S RI over to SE MA...the vortmax is pretty strung out, so the band would probably be focused more on the lower level gradient.

This system really looked far and away more southern QPF entangled with cold air from the N TV/OV-NE regions when it was in the middle range.  Not that it means much but I even saw one DGEX run that had a 954 mb low stem-wound 60 mi E of PWM, with over 2" liq equiv avalanched on top of what we have right now.  The implication there was what ... a 5 or 6 foot snow pack outside of drifting/wind confusion... 

But, here we are, and it's interesting that unilaterally the models are flat and flattening... This all begin (I noticed) as trends when the identifiable S/W material first relayed off the NE Pacific over land, since ~ two days ago.  

I am not sure over-assimilated strength is really the culprit here, though.  Could be part of it,  but there has also been a subtle but noticeable tendency in the various runs to evolve and simultaneously drop a James Bay SPV farther S in time.  It may actually be the presence in the flow of the southern stream S/W helping to entice that activity... Either way, too much gradient has returned...  The dreaded MIA rule states:  Thou shalt not maintain geopotential height above 580 dm, whilst balanced winds are above 35 kts, or thou shalt risk pulling pants down to shat upon own fool's herring.  

The flow certainly smacks of a meat grinder... In fact, probably should reserve the following for the pattern thread, but I do see outright problem with the pattern producing storms for us through this week ... In short, it hasn't verified yet, no, but the ridge in the west is trying to retrograde back to that 130W-120W longitude (perhaps keyed into MJO?).  That position sets up a deconstructive wave interference scheme E of the Rockies.  It's an annoying type, too, because it's really kind of hidden in a way.  At first glance, one may see these impressive cold Canadian heights/thicknesses ... promising to deliver cold to whatever wayward system finds its self near 37N/85W, but that steep gradient thing causes winds to remain too strong and what results is deconstructed wave damping.  

But that MIA rule is not absolute.  It doesn't mean no system.  It means a detrimental factor for cyclogenesis and/or system strength. That obviously provides a spectrum of possibilities, albeit less than stronger. There are actually two system in the mid week period. This thread does say 17-18, but the 2nd is perhaps more 18-19.  Obviously we know what I am referring to so no sense laboring that out .. .but the inverted trough/Norlun-like structure is associated with a partial phase of additional southern S/W orbiting said sinking SPV after Tuesday near miss/Cape clip... The 06z was more robust with conserving southern stream intensity as it road N, such that it brought over .5" liq to the Cape and threatened eastern zones.  12z, backed off again.. perhaps just the NAM being the NAM.  We don't trust this the Dr. Jekyll/Mr Hyde model for a reason, but still, the fact that it did do that for one cycle means that the physics are plausibly there.  That's all on that.  

Let's all step back from the need for a fix for a few moments.

This is a classic fast mover which DC typically feasts on. Hoping they can get 6-12. It would not surprise me to smoke cirrus tomorrow nor would I be surprised with a fluffy 2-3 inches.

Bone chilling ball shriveling cold is upon us. Through yesterday BOS is -11.6 for February. BOS has a monthly high of 38 so far, only 2 of the first 15 days had temps going above freezing and we will likely have a full 2 weeks subfreezing with embedded subzero days.

This winter is trumping Leon, 1960-61, and probably 1995-96 when all is said and done. We live in interesting times.

Let's all step back from the need for a fix for a few moments.

This is a classic fast mover which DC typically feasts on. Hoping they can get 6-12. It would not surprise me to smoke cirrus tomorrow nor would I be surprised with a fluffy 2-3 inches.

Bone chilling ball shriveling cold is upon us. Through yesterday BOS is -11.6 for February. BOS has a monthly high of 38 so far, only 2 of the first 15 days had temps going above freezing and we will likely have a full 2 weeks subfreezing with embedded subzero days.

This winter is trumping Leon, 1960-61, and probably 1995-96 when all is said and done. We live in interesting times.

Leon is 1994 no? Yeah, we're looking good for as far as the eye can see.

Archived