Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 17-18 Event

moneypitmike

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Ch 5 evening news.  Mike Wankum?  really is quite the hype machine.  He has a snow map for Tuesday and has Boston in the 4-8" zone.  What's he smokin?  Does any model have that much QPF this far NW.  He is also honking for a potentially bigger storm for next weekend.  Why even talk about something 7 days away!   Last night at 10pm we couldn't even figure out what was going to happen in Boston 6 hours later.

Okay I have vented enough!

Isn't the rule rhese normally come norrh? This one getting out of the way nicely. 4-8"

Yea usually. I'll be interested to see if models are too slow with the 50/50 Low moving on out providing for better downstream ridging ahead of this little SWFE. 0z will be interesting, but I think 12z tomorrow morning will be the final key on trends.

TWC saying the RPM is showing a slight shift north for the southern system tonight, so that could translate into something more for us.

Hoping this event has some tricks up its sleeve tuesday or w follow up wave

I never watch them (T.W.C) but when they do live shots, but i get the idea they like to build events up, get people "interested". Almost like the Rev. Which gives me an idea. If twc are ratings whores

Imagine a 1/2 hr show "wx travels w the Rev". Maybe do an hr show when there is a big storm. Could have a "weenie bus" and just drive it around the country making stops near storms, chattin up ppl, whipping them into a frenzy of fear and laughter. Endless possibilities. Home visits during storms at "crazy weather people's houses". This board offers the perfect supply of people throughout the country.

First thoughts, wanted to test out a new map design so decided to do a map for what is a relatively minor system overall. Quite a bit nicer looking than the old paint disasters, although much more time intensive, so maybe I'll just stick to the paint ones considering they don't get shared anywhere but here.

2_17_first_call.png[/

Bump each one north 50 miles IMO..but much easier to read map than the other type

I never watch them but when they do live shots, but i get the idea they like to build events up, get people "interested". Almost like the Rev. Which gives me an idea. If twc are ratings whores

imagine a 1/2 show "weekly outlook w the Rev". Maybe do an hr show when there is a big storm. Could have a "weenie bus" and just drive it around the country making stops near storms, chattin up ppl, whipping them into a frenzy of fear and laughter. Endless possibilities. Home visits during storms at "crazy weather people's houses". This board offers the perfect supply of people throughout the country.

Kinda like the Cantore meltdown this AM in Plymouth with the thundersnow?

Isn't the rule rhese normally come norrh? This one getting out of the way nicely. 4-8"

Hey Messenger - Sorry if we got off on a bad start here.  I respect the fact that you never attacked anyone that was attacking you (as there were many) and just stuck to your guns and smiled, and you were correct on the Wind aspect of this - Complete Dud.  If someone said there would be No wind associated with the storm, I would have said "Mmm they were a bit off on the wind".  Was pretty much nothing and I was out all day.  I am going to call you the "Felger" of the boards.  It's your tone that's your problem lol.  

Again - This winter is making my life easier knowing that I will very likely be moving to LA this year.  Hopefully to prosper heavily in the music world and be able to fly back whenever Kocin, Will, Ekster, Ray, my TV mets and yes, Messenger, say - "Come On Home CPez!"   

KCNM  

Only 2nd time in History (1947-1948) to have 4 12" Storms  

This Stretch of 4 12" storms happened in 21 Days

72.25" in 23 Days (A record or Near-record in Any way you want to slice it like Boston)

80.5" on the Season  (Entering what I call the Hall of Fame: All Winters over 80" are Historic ones)  

Only 7th time with a Snow Depth of 30"  

Best Overall look in terms of piles, banks, trees, houses, depth, etc. since just after the Blizzard of 1978  

We ended up with 10-12. I believe I was mainly saying 4-8 here.... .4 to .7. We got 10-12 and .6 w.e.

Epic high ratio fluff. The 10.5 was from a NOAA employee who is notoriously accurate. No slant sticking

The quotes from TWC people live in Plymouth today say you got 17", from Ham Radio operator around 11 AM.  That is what Box is showing.

First thoughts, wanted to test out a new map design so decided to do a map for what is a relatively minor system overall. Quite a bit nicer looking than the old paint disasters, although much more time intensive, so maybe I'll just stick to the paint ones considering they don't get shared anywhere but here.

2_17_first_call.png[/

Your color scheme is hideous but I think the amounts are decent.

The quotes from TWC people live in Plymouth today say you got 17", from Ham Radio operator around 11 AM.  That is what Box is showing.

It could be west Plymouth which is 20+ miles from here, or it could be the guy that calls in 20" after a snow squall goes through.  I was all over the two towns today, this is representative of what fell and is protected.  It's 10-12" with little variation and matches with the NWS employee report from a mile away.   Don't forget we measure in winds all the time and have gotten familiar with seeking out "representative" areas.   I've found after 30 or so storms my numbers always usually agree with the Taunton forecaster that lives down here.  We are both almost always lower than everyone else.  Seeing as he does it for a living and at our office, I'll go with his numbers!

6lspImc.jpg

It could be west Plymouth which is 20+ miles from here, or it could be the guy that calls in 20" after a snow squall goes through.  I was all over the two towns today, this is representative of what fell and is protected.  It's 10-12" with little variation and matches with the NWS employee report from a mile away.   Don't forget we measure in winds all the time and have gotten familiar with seeking out "representative" areas.   I've found after 30 or so storms my numbers always usually agree with the Taunton forecaster that lives down here.  We are both almost always lower than everyone else.  Seeing as he does it for a living and at our office, I'll go with his numbers!

6lspImc.jpg

If Plymouth spans 20 miles, then I would think a forecast for the town should not be based on one snowfall range.

If Plymouth spans 20 miles, then I would think a forecast for the town should not be based on one snowfall range.

It never does, if you look at the graphics from NOAA there are sometimes 3 different breaks in the town.  When I reference an amount it's for MBY, not 20 miles away.  I've done it that way for about 20 years as many here know.    a 10" differential is not unusual from NW to SE and happens frequently in the largest storms.

If you're referring to "my" forecast for the town, as soon as I claim the back and forth we do here is a public service announcement I'll be sure to break it down at the street level.  :snowing:    but it's mainly what it is now, as it was many years ago which is MBY or bust.  If I care to speak of a particular region or have a strong feeling about it I'll usually spell it out (like the last blizzard), if I don't and you or anyone else for whatever reason believe that is the case ....not much I can do but it's always easy enough to ask before or during the event vs after.  With the benefit of hindsight we're all much better forecasts, pro and amateur alike.

Archived