SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Extreme cold February 2015

Rainman

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this air mass means business. Already down to -18C/-1F at my place, colder than we were forecast to be at this point. Looks like YYZ may be in for a zero day tomorrow.

Possible. Toronto sees its coldest temperatures with a more N or NE wind. Though NNW is better than NW or W. 

Currently -12F at my house. And to think tonight could be colder. Let's break some records.

Not bad for mid-Feb!

Here in NE IL (SW Lake County), it's -3 with a WC around -20.  We're on the W edge of this arctic air mass...plus some cloud cover arrived sometime overnight, limiting the temp drop.  A beautiful wintry morning. :)

Made it down to -26.2C at my place. This ties the coldest reading I have ever recorded going back to 1997.

Its too cold. My Dad said none of the cars start, lol. Tonight could be colder too. Low temperatures could bottom out around -27C at YYZ. Whats the record Low for February 16 at YYZ?

It's -23C from 1939. We should beat it. Unfortunately the record for today was -31C from 1944.

Looks like we have a good chance (>90%) of breaking the record low for tomorrow. And yup. It was the coldest night of the season at the time until it was beat sometime during the 80s. We got down to -31C in January 94 too if I'm not mistaken.

Last time the temperature went above 0C was January 24 at YYZ. Just wish we had a bit more snow.

with clouds and snow, low here was -7, but Twin lakes cleared and went to -33. Lake Superior is 71% iced. I think late Feb and March is going to be brutal here as far as cold. Definitely not looking forward to this, especially in the late stage of Winter where patience with cold begins to wear a little thin anyway.

with clouds and snow, low here was -7, but Twin lakes cleared and went to -33. Lake Superior is 71% iced. I think late Feb and March is going to be brutal here as far as cold. Definitely not looking forward to this, especially in the late stage of Winter where patience with cold begins to wear a little thin anyway.

bo-

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/ensemble/naefs/semaine2/images/2015021500_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

like a broken record...about a week straight of showing the same thing as we reach the last days of Feb.

Downtown Toronto got down to -13F (-25C) this morning. Not a big spread between downtown and YYZ.

It's too bad the records for downtown aren't as easily accessible as they used to be (the Star used to publish them). Wouldn't surprise me if we came close to breaking a 19th or early 20th century record downtown.

bo-

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/ensemble/naefs/semaine2/images/2015021500_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

like a broken record...about a week straight of showing the same thing as we reach the last days of Feb.

yikes! I have been afraid Winter would end this way this year. Wednesday, high here isn't expected to even crack zero.

Amazing microclimates in the UP. Marquette set a record low max of 6 yesterday. Old record was 8 from 1963.

The cold in Toronto is impressive too. Coldest temps since 1994...and in mid-February no less.

Might as well extend this thread into the next arctic air mass, around feb 18-19. In areas further west (IL and WI), it will probably be colder than the current air mass. I could see -10 here if skies clear and winds remain light...and high temps near 10 for two consecutive days. While not unprecedented, it is extremely rare for the 3rd week of Feb.

The cold in Toronto is impressive too. Coldest temps since 1994...and in mid-February no less.

Might as well extend this thread into the next arctic air mass, around feb 18-19. In areas further west (IL and WI), it will probably be colder than the current air mass. I could see -10 here if skies clear and winds remain light...and high temps near 10 for two consecutive days. While not unprecedented, it is extremely rare for the 3rd week of Feb.

Yeah this next one definitely looks pretty impressive.  Definitely gonna be a colder than the current one further west out this way.  We sort of rode the western edge of the current shot.  

Yeah this next one definitely looks pretty impressive. Definitely gonna be a colder than the current one further west out this way. We sort of rode the western edge of the current shot.

In general, myself included, we were several degrees too cold with the lows out your way this morning. Exception was the Paw Paw COOP, which got down to -10. ORD (-3) actually had a colder low than RFD (-2). But this next shot, as you said, does look more impressive. Pretty extreme stuff for this point in February.

Archived