Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

They may go later today in GYX's AFD or wait until the overnight shift

My guess is they'll wait another shift in light of the timing and the fact that this parade of storms has caused some weariness and confusion among the public; constant storms and rumors of storms. May be better to wait until more details are nailed down.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have been more wrong than Al Gore about global warming.

And I feel like Brian Williams right now after that Euro post

It's obvious but worth re-stating: the model handling of the ULL placement and PVA will be in flux over next 24 hours.

Just looking at surface reflections at hours 66-72, 12z Euro now has 2 surface lows at hour 66 one right under Long Island, and at hour 72 a southwest extension that was not apparent on 0z Euro. Pretty sure this will continue to evolve, and we are not far from something much bigger in eastern SNE.

Just saw the euro. I thought it was a pretty good 700 and 500 look despite whatever QPF max and mins there are, esp ORH east.

It looked a bit better than 00z despite slightly lower QPF for BOS metro..should be interesting to see what happens over the next 2 cycles.

Perhaps I've overlooked this, but does anyone know if these strong ULLs historically tend to dig more than guidance would suggest? Just seems to me like you send that kind of energy down a trough it's going to dig a lot more than has been shown. But then again, I'm an amateur. Perhaps I don't fully understand all the dynamics at play...

When Hanny goes big on winds.. Watch out

@ryanhanrahan: High impact winter storm expected Sat PM/Sun AM especially due to damaging winds Sunday morning. http://t.co/w3kYzgaBqB

Just imagine hundreds of poles being knocked down onto tens of feet of piled up snow, along roads that are still impassable even to pedestrians. Outages for weeks if that occurs.

Right, it could be more...but if I had to give a higher confidence range...that would be it. I have more confidence in 12" than say 4-6"..put it that way.

Yeah upside potential is there but in my own observation it tends to  stay on the table.  However we're still 54 hours out so there's time for minor tweaks which could have big implications.

Models are just bouncing back and forth with placing the surface low and it's screwing with the QPF depiction. We've seen it more than once in the past few coastals.

I think during the previous blizzard the euro wanted to make the western portion of the originally elongated low dominant but it ended up being the eastern portion.. Which of course than the RGEM nailed. So I guess we're going to see things bounce around in the next few days.

Euro is about 0.3"-0.5" of QPF for Connecticut. Not exactly a crusher here. Seems to take a while to get that TROWAL fired up and struggles to get best lift/moisture back this way. 

Being the anti-Roger, I'm doing an early call of 6" at the Pit.  This could be something where even though we're being a little further north will have a bigger upside than the downside of being a little further west.

Barring any significant changes, we'll have solid advisory/low warning as we look enviously toward the 495 belt/NE.  I'll adjust accordingly after the 12z run tomorrow with a final call.  If you're going to call it, make it a 48-hour call.

Archived