• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

What about when the GFS hedges twds all other guidance as all other guidance moves Sw?

:facepalm:

So when that happens we can ramp up the forecast. We mentioned the potential for a significant storm, said Boston area was favored, and at the very least we should expect a couple inches of snow and very gusty winds.

I really don't understand what you want us to do?base everything on the most extreme op run when more than half of its ensemble members are not as amped and favor areas farther north?

How about the op euro itself that only has 0.4" for BDL bc the TROWAL struggles to reach back this far? You are easily one of the most aggravating posters on this board.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:facepalm:

So when that happens we can ramp up the forecast. We mentioned the potential for a significant storm, said Boston area was favored, and at the very least we should expect a couple inches of snow and very gusty winds.

I really don't understand what you want us to do?base everything on the most extreme op run when more than half of its ensemble members are not as amped and favor areas farther north?

How about the op euro itself that only has 0.4" for BDL bc the TROWAL struggles to reach back this far? You are easily one of the most aggravating posters on this board.

Im sorry you are so easily bothered. Perhaps get some thicker skin. It's a weather board and we are discussing possible outcomes. I'm of the opinion the Euro and it's ensembles as well as Ukie, ggem and Cmc ens are more correct on reasons we mentioned earlier.

Can anyone here verify the claim on here that, as progged by the GFS, the ull would be the deepest since 1966? 

http://www.wsi.com/blog/aviation/another-blockbuster-in-the-cards-for-the-northeast/

Thats a great article, want you guys to remember the ULLS of past years passing near or overhead, not talking about the synoptic surface low. ULL snow is the best, airy giant fast accumulating flakes. I have seen 8 inches fall in quick order from deep ULLS alone, none of which was modeled to be anything other than nuisance snow, so take heed , even if you miss out on the comma head things could get very interesting. I kind of cringe at those taking GFS QPF output verbatim, as Eduggs posted the GFS is too dry given the synoptics, the Euro seems to have a much better grasp on QPF distribution no matter the 75 mile difference in center of low pressure location.

Im sorry you are so easily bothered. Perhaps get some thicker skin. It's a weather board and we are discussing possible outcomes. I'm of the opinion the Euro and it's ensembles as well as Ukie, ggem and Cmc ens are more correct on reasons we mentioned earlier.

Lol ok... So saying there's a 1 in 3 shot of a major snowstorm in CT is not discussing the possible outcomes? A 1 in 3 chance is actually a very high probability for a significant storm this far out.

As I said if we want to go with the euro ensembles the odds of 6"+ of snow are less than 50/50 back this way. Some great hits and some late bloomers. But... I don't want to discuss possible outcomes that aren't snowy enough.

Last I heard he said two misses, wonder if that changed.

The Euro has never been most southwest in closing off lows this winter ever.   Yes on that last one it continued to look better up until about 84 hours for those poor souls to our SW.  I think it may be too wrapped up this time but who knows?

I guess we can call tomorrow a hit, just like today was a "hit" for those that got the OES.

Low looks great for Sunday but it may be too far NE for huge impact in SNE.

If WSI says it then yes, again why my laptop is pinned to the ceiling

Here's your bowling ball.

1.5 potential vorticity unit surface, pressures on that surface in black and winds on that surface in white barbs.

Sniffing ozone is right, next frame I can find a 790 mb pressure near ACY.

post-44-0-93506100-1423701949_thumb.jpeg

Lol ok... So saying there's a 1 in 3 shot of a major snowstorm in CT is not discussing the possible outcomes? A 1 in 3 chance is actually a very high probability for a significant storm this far out.

As I said if we want to go with the euro ensembles the odds of 6"+ of snow are less than 50/50 back this way. Some great hits and some late bloomers. But... I don't want to discuss possible outcomes that aren't snowy enough.

Fair enough. I'm not going to continue this because I know what you guys are discussing in the mod forum. Hopefully modeling comes into better focus tomorrow

I didn't see forecasts, but it's far enough out so that you can't always throw a solution out, even if someone like myself thinks the euro is closer to correct. If the euro hedges to the GFS, that changes things.

The fact the GFS and NAM are so similar at 84 hours leads me to higher confidence the GFS is wrong on this event, the NAM was actually borderline south of the GFS at 18Z at the end of its run, I cannot recall many times the NAM has done that.

That thing sort of came off the coast further south and then tracked north ... this one is coming off the coast further north and tracking east. Different aloft too.

One difference, at least at this moment, is that the EURO was on it's own then....this time it isn't as drastic an outlier.

The fact the GFS and NAM are so similar at 84 hours leads me to higher confidence the GFS is wrong on this event, the NAM was actually borderline south of the GFS at 18Z at the end of its run, I cannot recall many times the NAM has done that.

Yeah. I just think people are going over the top with this. There is a lot of time left, and people are hyping this up big time. Kind of stupid. A tick NE and it's 3" of wind blown fluff too.

Yeah. I just think people are going over the top with this. There is a lot of time left, and people are hyping this up big time. Kind of stupid. A tick NE and it's 3" of wind blown fluff too.

Overconfidence from the hot streak.  Deep upper level systems don't always produce snowy events.

This is actually a really awesome inference

I could def. see somewhat of a euro/GFS comp....and there wouldn't be much room for a not-so-lame solution in that case.

I could def. see somewhat of a euro/GFS comp....and there wouldn't be much room for a not-so-lame solution in that case.

Yeah I'm not suggesting one or the other...but everyone including the media is losing their sh*t right now. Pump the brakes a bit. It's only because of the situation now with the snow. 

Yeah I'm not suggesting one or the other...but everyone including the media is losing their sh*t right now. Pump the brakes a bit. It's only because of the situation now with the snow. 

I def. favor the EURO, but the notion of somewhat of a compromise is not outlandish....which is big because there isn't much leeway in that regard....unless you're in ME.

Archived